PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a '98 Mobius?

MOOMBA_97
12-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Today I have run across a used 1998 Mobius for sale. Has 325 hours and in good shape ( Will need a little fiberglass work on the nose from losing a dock battle). Price is $12,900. Any opinions or comments on the boat? I know this was the first year they were produced. Any problems with this model?

zabooda
12-19-2006, 01:50 AM
I have a 98 with about the same hours. I haven't had any problems. I get a lot of compliments on the blue metalflake, No other boat has that look. NADA last I checked for my options was still around $17K which is what I paid five years ago. Value stays with the boat. The only drawback on the metalflake is getting someone good who can fix the nose damage and make it match.

http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?LI=1-28-0-5000-502-578-50250&l=1&w=24&p=0&f=5601

MOOMBA_97
12-19-2006, 12:36 PM
I have a '97 Boomerang and we have just outgrown the boat. I have not had any problems with it in three years. I have almost come to the conclusion that I will not find one used in the shape mine is as it it practically show room. My body man says he can fix the front easily and judging from other work he has done for me I am sure this is the case. My main concern is realibilty and any nagging problems from this model.

BensonWdby
12-20-2006, 12:40 AM
I have a 99 Mobius (with the rear trunk) and an after-delivery tower (Rada-cage installed by dealer). We are running the Carb version. The boat has been pretty much trouble free, aside from the usual - mainly packing nut leaks. The biggest problem has been the Hull spread issue where the walk-thru window gap grows. I had the windshiled remounted once, but the gap reappeared almost immediately. We only have about 250 hours on hours. I hope to get at least 600 out of it before significant maintenance.

bobwells
12-27-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm new to wk. boats, my son loves wk.brd./slaloming, he'll be 15 in feb. we live on a lake in nth. fl. We've always used an old ck.mate tri-mate i've
owned for years for water sports figuring "real ski boats" were way out of my price range. Just b-4 Christmas I ran across a '98 mobius someone had dropped off at my friends shop. Had been sitting for about a 1-1/2 yrs. said he was moving off lake and would take $8500 as is. boat looked good. engine turned over but no start. My bud said if I didnt want it he did and would fix over winter and sell in spring. He let me take it to my shop and ck. out. found fuel pump locked up, i pulled plugs oiled cyl. walls changed plugs, replaced elec. fuel pump, changed oil & filters and bingo she fired right up! I gave my bud $500 finder fee and gave it to family Christmas a.m. you talk about a smile a mile wide and a 2 younguns son & (9yr.old daughter/skis)breathless... this was "priceless" sorry for all the mushy stuff, but i do have question, what temp should this boat run at? it has indmar 5.7 , It runs at about 175 deg. which from my old hot-rodding days w/ sm. blk. chevy's is fine but i remember reading some where on net that 145 was normal op. temp for this engine. oil press. seems great, comp. etc. thnaks for letting me babble, oh. it does have factory tower, cover etc. cleaned up great, interior has a few nicks but eventually will get re-done. any info will be appreciated, reading about ballast etc. Thanks again, bob

JoeTechie
12-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Bob,

Welcome to the Moomba Family! Your gushing is exactly why we are all here. A '98 still has lots of great times and family stories left on her.

Normal Operating temp is 150-180, so some run cooler, some run hotter, and 175 is at the top of that range for sure...just keep it under 180 absolutely. First thing - CHANGE THE IMPELLER. They need to be changed every 12-24 months, and that alone will probably lower the temp to closer to 160. Then I'd check the cooling system for buildup. Could have used it on a dirty lake and get all sorts of crud in the lines, and jackets.

We had better see you at the Jamboree in the spring as well. Come meet a bunch of us, and exchange stories, possibly win some great prizes, and then drool over the new models.

-Joe

zabooda
12-27-2006, 04:10 PM
I have a 98 as well for about five years now. The resell is about $17K so you got a sweet deal. I mainly water ski and the wake is OK but my buds wake board and they like it a lot even without ballast. Since you don't know the servicing, I would change the oil/filter, tranny fluid, plugs, gas filter, impeller, inspect the belts and hoses, tighten hose clamps, hit the carb with cleaner, test the battery, test the bildge pump, watch for excessive leaking from the shaft packing (getting to it is a pain) and check and grease the trailer bearings. Remember, don't stow anything or have people in the front that you don't want to get wet 'cause occasionally you'll get a bow shot on that boat especially starting out. Have fun and hope for a good boating New Year.

bobwells
12-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Joe & Zabooda, thanks for the info, I did change fluids, plugs, filters etc. spent most of the day pulling my son and hia friend, they had a ball as well as I and the "new wake" size w/ tower thrilled them with the BIG air !
boat worked great. Joe I'm definetly fixing to order up a new impellor, and install. Where do yall have the jamboree? also any recomendations on a wk. brd school? My sons wanting to try to attend one during spring break? (in florida) Joe I did drain block when we had last freeze, pretty nasty water came out. how do I go about flushing the system ? I have changed the circulating water pump also cause on the first test run the weep hole has leaking water, so I new it would be going soon. Is the impellor on the raw pump be pretty standard or do I need to get some #'s off of it? thanks again dudes, bob
wow I just read my post reckon I got some questions or what?? sorry guys, I'm also willing to help anyway I can.... God bless !