PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat Blisters or Bubbles?

NK
12-09-2006, 11:37 AM
I have an 06 XLV and noticed small blisters in the gel coat that run on the deck of the starboard side of the boat from windshield to the rear locker. Obviously not caused by sitting water (as the boat is in dry stack).

Anyone else have the same problem and/or know how the dealer/manufacturer will fix it?

Thanks!

smokedog2
12-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Never had the problem myself but I have heard of it. MC or CC had one with a big blister the size of a silver dollar at the boat show last year. It happens. Cracks are more common.

The short story:

It should be, on an 06, covered by warrantee – talk with your dealer.

This is what I think I know about gel coat. They are taking the lead and some other hazardous stuff to work with out of the stuff. By law everyone has to do it 06/07 but SC took the hit and changed over 03/04/05 (?). The stuff is less caustic but also harder to work with and less “predictable” – read black art not fully understood.

I have heard that the bubbles are not that hard to fix, but it you have several, that may be different.

Once upon a time I was big into solving black art problems. I started with solid propellant cutting the burn dispersion rate from 7% to 3% and went on to radiation detectors, vacuum tubes (lost art), etc.

I suspect none of the boat builders have really done a professional dissection of the process and they are living with more of this than they need to.

dmgx
12-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Hats off Smoke Dog!! Jay