PDA

View Full Version : Malibu boats drop Indmar

DaveM
01-10-2019, 10:50 AM
I see Malibu boats have dropped the Indmar engines in their 2019 boats. They are now marketed as "Monsoon" engines again. It appears the engines are built by PCM. I wonder if it was economics or a marketing issue with Indmar?

Boonejeepin
01-10-2019, 10:58 AM
I see Malibu boats have dropped the Indmar engines in their 2019 boats. They are now marketed as "Monsoon" engines again. It appears the engines are built by PCM. I wonder if it was economics or a marketing issue with Indmar?

I believe Malibu is marinizing their own engines for at least some boats. My neighbor bought one of the first and has been without his $140k new boat for weeks due to build issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dakota4ce
01-10-2019, 11:19 AM
This has been in the works for a while has it not? I thought this surfaced a while back.

Some were citing the impending scarcity of the 6.2 because ford took it out of their truck....or something like that....

Anyone recall?

I have no problem with the DI GM motors. They sound like they’re very good machines.

RC_Hinojosa
01-10-2019, 11:23 AM
This has been in the works for a while has it not? I thought this surfaced a while back.

Some were citing the impending scarcity of the 6.2 because ford took it out of their truck....or something like that....

Anyone recall?

I have no problem with the DI GM motors. They sound like they’re very good machines.

Ford took the 6.2 out of the Raptor with the introduction of the 3.5L twin-turbo Ecoboost but the 6.2L is still the base motor for all SuperDutys.

dakota4ce
01-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Ford took the 6.2 out of the Raptor with the introduction of the 3.5L twin-turbo Ecoboost but the 6.2L is still the base motor for all SuperDutys.

Roger that! Thanks for the info.

jason1973
01-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Malibu announced a while back they are going to marinize their own engines starting in 2019. I hear they are available if you order, but i think there is still a choice. I am not sure if they are still calling it the Monsoon however. Its going to have a number designation like FL5, FL6, etc...

When i looked at BU this year, i was only given the option of the Monsoon. I have heard people are not getting a choice of what motor they want.

TXSurf4
01-10-2019, 11:54 AM

Anyone recall?

Yeah it was rumored a while back and I am pretty sure has now been confirmed that in 2020 the F-250 gas motor will be a 7.3L V8 and that they are doing away with the 6.2L V8 and 6.8L V10 in that platform. Now as far as the actual production of the 6.2L V8 and it's use in other platfroms I have no idea.

dakota4ce
01-10-2019, 11:57 AM
Yeah it was rumored a while back and I am pretty sure has now been confirmed that in 2020 the F-250 gas motor will be a 7.3L V8 and that they are doing away with the 6.2L V8 and 6.8L V10 in that platform. Now as far as the actual production of the 6.2L V8 and it's use in other platfroms I have no idea.

That’s the stuff I have foggy recollection of....

RC_Hinojosa
01-10-2019, 12:07 PM

The 6.8L V10 has been gone for years now...

TXSurf4
01-10-2019, 12:13 PM
The 6.8L V10 has been gone for years now...

My mistake, you are right it is has been gone from the F-250/350 for a while but is still available in 450/550 Chassis Cabs as well as a few other models.

larry_arizona
01-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Malibu is bringing their marinized GM engines in house. I only heard they were starting with the LS based engines at first.

I am sure the LT DI engines will follow.

Broke Pilot
01-10-2019, 01:40 PM
The new ford engine will be a 7.0L built in the Windsor plant I believe. There were initially rumors of a new V8 raptor. Ford squished that though unfortunately.
Malibu has slowly been bringing everything in house. Started with their trailers.
I really wish Skiers choice could have an option for an LS/LT based engine. But since pcm got bought by correct craft that’ll never happen. Lol

larry_arizona
01-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Not a fan of the GM LT. DI is a long term issue, but they are efficient.

Huge fan of the LS and Ford was a curse word to me and a huge hurdle in buying a Supra.

My attitude has changed and I think the raptors are on par with the GM LT without the added worry of DI. Efficiency is near equal.

I also do prefer the raptor iron block over aluminum of the LT in a wake boat.

TXSurf4
01-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Not that it matters but I find it very interesting that they are bringing everything in house, does any know their reason for this??

larry_arizona
01-10-2019, 02:17 PM
Not that it matters but I find it very interesting that they are bringing everything in house, does any know their reason for this??

Easy, Profits

TXSurf4
01-10-2019, 02:21 PM
Easy, Profits

Simple enough! I guess the owners will see if it comes at any cost.......

Broke Pilot
01-10-2019, 02:27 PM
Not a fan of the GM LT. DI is a long term issue, but they are efficient.

Huge fan of the LS and Ford was a curse word to me and a huge hurdle in buying a Supra.

My attitude has changed and I think the raptors are on par with the GM LT without the added worry of DI. Efficiency is near equal.

I also do prefer the raptor iron block over aluminum of the LT in a wake boat.

I was in the same boat (no pun intended) on the raptor vs LS. I almost signed in a centurion, just for that fact. So far I love the raptor, but ford is still a dirty word in my house hold. Lol

larry_arizona
01-10-2019, 02:37 PM
I was in the same boat (no pun intended) on the raptor vs LS. I almost signed in a centurion, just for that fact. So far I love the raptor, but ford is still a dirty word in my house hold. Lol

Same here, was ready to buy the nautique or Centurion due to GM power. Centurion even offered to fly the wife and I to visit the plant in California to convince us to buy an Ri.

Glad I bought the SA and the Raptor is great so far.

jason1973
01-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Malibu is doing this for profit. I don't think they are afraid to say that either. I have seen some reps claim its so they can control quality etc... I don't think this is a bad idea as a business, but sometimes, and i would guess there may be issues with a first year motor and some bugs are going to need to be worked out.

larry_arizona
01-10-2019, 04:02 PM
I understand why Malibu is doing it in house, they are huge and want to be like an automotive OEM. Quality will be watered down in my opinion.

I like the fact that SC farms out engines and trailers, puts focus on SC designing wake boats. Focus matters.

jason1973
01-10-2019, 04:21 PM
I understand why Malibu is doing it in house, they are huge and want to be like an automotive OEM. Quality will be watered down in my opinion.

I like the fact that SC farms out engines and trailers, puts focus on SC designing wake boats. Focus matters.

i couldn't agree more. Let experts make the motor, lets expers make the boat. Same for most industries. When focused in too many areas, you lose focus on what matters most.

dakota4ce
01-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Why not a low RPM TwinTurbo V6 like the eco-boost? Maximum torque at 2000 RPM.

dakota4ce
01-10-2019, 04:55 PM
That aunt to get the V8 heads fired up. [emoji1787]

TXSurf4
01-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Or a nice big diesel!! lol The plus side is the added displacement.

Broke Pilot
01-10-2019, 06:24 PM
It’s the old saying, torque is how hard you hit the wall, horsepower is how far you drag it with you lol.
Turbos are still no replacement for displacement. They’re great at efficiency though. I dunno how it would react with a prop and a non constant load when you’re hitting waves. You’d get some pretty good boost spikes I’d imagine.
I think the biggest problem would be heat control. The eco boost ford motors use super small turbine housings to decrease turbo lag, but if you watch, the housings will glow red even under moderate loads. Ford had a video online showing how ‘cool’ it was to make ‘so much power’ lol. And those turbos are even water cooled.
I don’t think putting it inside a somewhat sealed up fiberglass shell would not work out well. But I’m no engineer... some one smarter than me will probly figure it out.

TXSurf4
01-10-2019, 06:28 PM

I completely agree!!! Why not leave the trailer making to the trailer experts and the motors to the motor experts and worry about surfing technology and hull designs. Focus is right, focus on making great boats and put quality products that were other people's focus in them.

I know for some people this might be a sin but the fact that SC uses Ford motors in their boats was something that I liked!!

TXSurf4
01-10-2019, 06:33 PM
It’s the old saying, torque is how hard you hit the wall, horsepower is how far you drag it with you lol.
Turbos are still no replacement for displacement. They’re great at efficiency though. I dunno how it would react with a prop and a non constant load when you’re hitting waves. You’d get some pretty good boost spikes I’d imagine.
I think the biggest problem would be heat control. The eco boost ford motors use super small turbine housings to decrease turbo lag, but if you watch, the housings will glow red even under moderate loads. Ford had a video online showing how ‘cool’ it was to make ‘so much power’ lol. And those turbos are even water cooled.
I don’t think putting it inside a somewhat sealed up fiberglass shell would not work out well. But I’m no engineer... some one smarter than me will probly figure it out.

I might be wrong but I think the saying is "Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you".

Broke Pilot
01-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Yep... sorry. That’s what I get for typing after a nap in yet another airport. Lol
I need a day off...

TXSurf4
01-10-2019, 06:45 PM
hahaha no worries! I wouldn't mind being in an air port right now!! Definitely a more interesting view.

Broke Pilot
01-10-2019, 06:50 PM
Inside of my eyelids was the best view I’ve had today. Lol
Just about to load up and head home in the next 10-15, scheduling calls with a another 3 day leaving super early tomorrow.
I need some warm weather... my boat is calling me. Even with its FoMoCo heart. Lol

larry_arizona
01-10-2019, 07:04 PM
As an Engineer and forced induction enthusiast, heat management of an FI application that would need to stay on boost for longer surf sessions would be a challenge.

I am very knowledgeable and personally own an LSA in a car.

I even struggle to understand how the supercharged GM and Ford 6.2’s mitigate heat over long surf session.

In one respect, the lake is a unlimited size heat exchanger, but the intercooler system and pump has the be efficient enough to mitigate heat on long boost applications.

For an LSA in a CTSV even the best intercooler system is good for 1/4mile at a time under WOT and full boost in a 4000# car (that’d with 14-15# boost). With factory boost level of 9# you could manage heat quite a bit easier.

The SC 6.2’s are running 8-9# boost so I imagine heat can be handled in the Supra’s reasonably, but I believe the boost (I think factory boost is 12#) of two snails on a EB3.5 would be tough in a boat.

I tell you what, the EB3.5’s are no joke, I tow my SA with one and it is up to the task.

Broke Pilot
01-10-2019, 07:15 PM
i completely agree.
I’d be really interested to see a water to water after cooler system though! But that won’t be the heat issue.
I’d be really curious about a direct injected high compression v6 with a blower though. Air is air, the engine doesn’t care how it’s compressed or when. Turbos are more efficient, but I feel the same result could be done with a blower.
A pro charger or paxton style intercooled system would be awesome on a raptor even. Modular motor heads flow so well, the power output could be interesting.
But twin screws are easier to package in small spaces, so that’ll probly never happen.
And if you ever wanna sell that LSA blower, I just picked up a new toy...
http://i.imgur.com/d8dD14v.jpg (http://imgur.com/d8dD14v)

larry_arizona
01-10-2019, 07:51 PM
I can probably find you a used LSA blower pretty cheap.

However, the LSA uses rectangular ports and your LS1 is cathedral port.

dakota4ce
01-10-2019, 08:48 PM
Or a nice big diesel!! lol The plus side is the added displacement.

Except no diesel on the lakes...

larry_arizona
01-10-2019, 09:18 PM
Diesels make max torque at 1600 ish RPM, could be an interesting prop and gearing.

TXSurf4
01-10-2019, 10:05 PM
That is interesting I did t know that you couldn’t have a diesel on a a lake.

It would definitely be interesting to see how it could be packaged though. Not sure if it would be much more expensive than the 575 to do and the power would be sweet!!

dakota4ce
01-10-2019, 10:21 PM
That is interesting I did t know that you couldn’t have a diesel on a a lake.

It would definitely be interesting to see how it could be packaged though. Not sure if it would be much more expensive than the 575 to do and the power would be sweet!!

No....I mean there are no diesel pumps on lakes. My boat lives in a hoist, I gas up on the lake. I just meant the infrastructure would not be conducive that’s all.

Broke Pilot
01-10-2019, 10:47 PM
And diesel prices suck... always.

Larry, probly gonna use a set of thermal reduction adapters if I decide to stay with my 241’s.

larry_arizona
01-11-2019, 07:31 AM
And diesel prices suck... always.

Larry, probly gonna use a set of thermal reduction adapters if I decide to stay with my 241’s.

Those work, but not ideal. Let me know if you need any help sourcing an LSA supercharger and pulley/idler tract.

Broke Pilot
01-11-2019, 11:28 AM
Yessir, I appreciate it. Still trying to decide if that’s the right direction. I really don’t wanna replace a good WS6 hood. Lol I need a blower shell to see how much I’m gonna have to cut.
Pro charger is looking better and better unfortunately

Pound
01-11-2019, 12:42 PM
eh hem....
https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/lsa-supercharged-performance-pallet-from-a-2013-camaro-zl1-lsa-supercharged-engine-w-6-speed-tr6060-trans-48k-miles/

P.S. I thought you were gonna do a 3rd Gen, Pilot?

TXSurf4
01-11-2019, 12:53 PM
i completely agree.
I’d be really interested to see a water to water after cooler system though! But that won’t be the heat issue.
I’d be really curious about a direct injected high compression v6 with a blower though. Air is air, the engine doesn’t care how it’s compressed or when. Turbos are more efficient, but I feel the same result could be done with a blower.
A pro charger or paxton style intercooled system would be awesome on a raptor even. Modular motor heads flow so well, the power output could be interesting.
But twin screws are easier to package in small spaces, so that’ll probly never happen.
And if you ever wanna sell that LSA blower, I just picked up a new toy...
http://i.imgur.com/d8dD14v.jpg (http://imgur.com/d8dD14v)

That thing is sweet!!! I had to do a report for a Math class in junior high where we had to figure out the financing on a car but we had to do all the research like go to the dealer and talk to them get a brochure, financing details ect. and I did this car, not a 2001 though it was probably a 1998 :lol: . That was the car of my dreams back then! Never even got to ride in one. To me it is one of the few cars that is still a great looking car even 20 years later!

That thing will be sweet! You'll have to start an off topic thread on here to keep us updated on the build since it sounds like it wont be remaining stock for long.....

Broke Pilot
01-11-2019, 02:51 PM
eh hem....
https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/lsa-supercharged-performance-pallet-from-a-2013-camaro-zl1-lsa-supercharged-engine-w-6-speed-tr6060-trans-48k-miles/

P.S. I thought you were gonna do a 3rd Gen, Pilot?

Ha! I wish... plus I looked at a 6060 swap just a few days ago. The T56 is out and being rebuilt if I can ever get home.
The 3rd gen is still just sitting. That’s gonna be a major project car and I still haven’t bought a lift for my shop.
I bought the 4th as a daily driver. It was a buddies car, well built (cam heads tune pump and clutch car) well maintained with 173k on the original everything. I stole it from him since his wifey got all pregnant again... lol
really just want a fun daily, tired of paying so much in diesel.

corvette8189
01-11-2019, 05:23 PM
Ha! I wish... plus I looked at a 6060 swap just a few days ago. The T56 is out and being rebuilt if I can ever get home.
The 3rd gen is still just sitting. That’s gonna be a major project car and I still haven’t bought a lift for my shop.
I bought the 4th as a daily driver. It was a buddies car, well built (cam heads tune pump and clutch car) well maintained with 173k on the original everything. I stole it from him since his wifey got all pregnant again... lol
really just want a fun daily, tired of paying so much in diesel.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one that likes LS better.
I had a 2000 Trans Am before. Now I have a 02 SS Forged engine, th400, 9in, nitrous, etc. Also just picked up a 13 ZL1 with some bolt ons to play with.
https://i.imgur.com/QIdqnFg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Jg9TbPx.jpg

Broke Pilot
01-11-2019, 07:08 PM
Oh yea... that looks like a fun track toy.
I had a ‘14 1SS 1LE, autoX monster. Won every event I put it in. Got bored with it cus I didn’t wanna upgrade it. Lol it was too good.
http://i.imgur.com/JezdeIk.jpg (http://imgur.com/JezdeIk)

I created a thread in the off topic for all the gear heads
Let’s all move there. We derailed this one pretty bad!

rdlangston13
01-11-2019, 09:33 PM
So I just got home from the Houston Boat show and in regards to Malibu and Axis they, they leave a lot to be desired for the price IMO. Especially Axis.

jason1973
01-11-2019, 09:45 PM
So I just got home from the Houston Boat show and in regards to Malibu and Axis they, they leave a lot to be desired for the price IMO. Especially Axis.

Couldn't agree more. I was dead set on the axis until I looked at one and went thru it. And axis raised prices upward of 7% for 2019 for whatever reason. The moomba was a lot better put together. I was surprised just how much axis was asking for fiberglass shards laying under the seats.

Broke Pilot
01-12-2019, 01:53 AM
Yea the Houston show has been lacking for a couple years now. Moomba Supra are killing it, Malibu only brought one of their new (I think it’s new?)boats, the MLX.
It’s decent, but build quality is still going downhill.
I wish correct craft would bring centurion to the Houston area, at least give them a chance to be seen. The G’s have been basically the same for years...
I’m not really brand loyal to boats, but I sure am glad I’m with SC.

rdlangston13
01-12-2019, 09:51 AM
What blew me away was the MSRP on the Malibu 25LSV was more than the G25 on the triple axle trailer. Seems to me you get way more boat for the money in a G than a 25 LSV. The SE is just bonkers awesome.