PDA

View Full Version : Boat speed while filling ballast

spatty99
01-09-2019, 04:35 PM
Has anyone figured out the highest boat speed that still allows the ballast pump intakes to draw the maximum amount of water?

I know running above idle helps increase the voltage to the pumps and thus helps filling, but not sure at what speed the water starts flowing too quickly past the inlets to pump properly.

PuraVida
01-09-2019, 04:56 PM
My dealer says 10mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PuraVida
01-09-2019, 04:57 PM
I typically run around 5mph

rdlangston13
01-09-2019, 06:05 PM
I wonder how this works with autowake. You can always push the button at the base of the throttle to give it gas out of gear to pump up that voltage

dakota4ce
01-09-2019, 08:34 PM
I fill under all speeds depending on what is going on...

MLA
01-09-2019, 11:33 PM
I know running above idle helps increase the voltage to the pumps and thus helps filling

True in theory, but likely making a difference measured in seconds.

You can also put the shifter in neutral and bring the throttle just off idle if you need.

Broke Pilot
01-09-2019, 11:48 PM
True in theory, but likely making a difference measured in seconds.

You can also put the shifter in neutral and bring the throttle just off idle if you need.

On my SA it’s actually a bigger difference than you’d think. And having bigger bags just amplified the issue.
If I’m filling with the motor off I come up short by a couple hundred pounds by the timers with the Enzo bags. The nose usually takes an extra 2-3 hits of the switch (60 sec each) to finish it off if I’m going for 100% full.
I usually fill with it running. And I’ve had them filling while cruising around 20-22mph., doesn’t seem to care.

Prospersigman
01-10-2019, 09:59 AM
With Autowake and the 6 pump ballast system I fill at full speed or what ever speed we happen to be going at the time.

dakota4ce
01-10-2019, 11:20 AM
With Autowake and the 6 pump ballast system I fill at full speed or what ever speed we happen to be going at the time.

Yep—same. It only takes 7 min or so anyway.

MLA
01-10-2019, 03:04 PM
On my SA it’s actually a bigger difference than you’d think. And having bigger bags just amplified the issue.
If I’m filling with the motor off I come up short by a couple hundred pounds by the timers with the Enzo bags. The nose usually takes an extra 2-3 hits of the switch (60 sec each) to finish it off if I’m going for 100% full.
I usually fill with it running. And I’ve had them filling while cruising around 20-22mph., doesn’t seem to care.

Obviously a larger sac takes longer to fill, regardless of voltage to the pump. I do not think pump flow is linear to voltage by design, but close enough. The difference between engine idle and engine off idle voltage, could be as little as 5%. So roughly .5 GPM, or 4 lb in 60 seconds.

Id have to think hard, if this gain was worth revving my engine for that duration.

z28ke
01-10-2019, 04:11 PM
I think brokepilot was referring to filling with the engine not running (which I never do because I always select either battery 1 or battery 2 - never both), so coming up this short on the fill makes sense.

MLA
01-10-2019, 04:40 PM
The OP's opening statement

I know running above idle helps increase the voltage to the pumps

He may be, but the OP is referring to the difference between idle and above idle, so im keeping with that theme. But just in case, I did include the possible voltage difference between engine off and engine above idle, but I did not do the flow calculation on that scenario though.

I think brokepilot was referring to filling with the engine not running

gregski
01-10-2019, 09:27 PM
not sure at what speed the water starts flowing too quickly past the inlets to pump properly.
This isn't a problem. (As long as the intakes are in the water) Actually, moving water has a higher relative pressure which would make the pump more efficient, if anything, but I doubt it'd be in any significant way. The biggest gain is the higher voltage 14V vs. 12V, so long as the engine is turning enough to keep it up, it's all the same (I have to turn >1500rpm to keep the voltage above 13V with 3 pumps running)

Broke Pilot
01-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Yea, I misread the op’s post. But, there is a noticeable difference in the pump sound and I’d imagine put out just over idle. At least in my SA. Just at idle I can hear them whine and as soon as you add throttle they jump up too. Is the flow different? Maybe, probly not enough to notice.
Just set your timers for true neutral gear idle and then any amount of water over that is pumped out anyway. No sense in wasting extra gas if you’re sitting.