PDA

View Full Version : Surf Tab Cracking Hull

mcjimmy33
01-07-2019, 04:22 PM
I have a 2016 Craz that I purchased new in 2017 as a hold over. During my winterization this year I realized my starboard surf tab on the outermost drilled hole into the boat had a crack propagating in 3 directions right out of the center of the hole. The crack goes upwards over 12", outboard about 5-6" and then under the boat about a foot. Because it is coming directly out of the drilled hole I figured the factory may have over-torqued that nut. The crack is bad enough I can fit my fingernail underneath it. I sent pictures to my local dealer who tried to fix under warranty, however it was denied by skiers as my gelcoat warranty is only a year. I feel this is a structural/workmanship defect. Is there anyone at skiers I can speak with? Anyone else have cracks propagating off the tabs? Dealer seemed surprised it was not approved.

MJHSupra
01-07-2019, 09:47 PM
Did you get any quotes? Usually SC wants the customer to work thru their dealer on claims. Are you Atlanta Marine?
Drew Tinker is on here on and Facebook. Might start with him or shoot him an email with your situation and pics

It had this happen on my 2007 around the swim platform brackets. It was years after the warranty, so it was out of pocket for me and I was the second owner.
Depending on the colors that were affected, it was $250 per gel color (color had to be matched) + plus labor.

If you were looking at the transom of the boat, if I did not tell you, you would not know it was repaired. So don't get too upset.

Stazi
01-07-2019, 10:03 PM
Hole was not chamfered properly and possibly overtightened. That’s a factory defect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcjimmy33
01-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Did you get any quotes? Usually SC wants the customer to work thru their dealer on claims. Are you Atlanta Marine?
Drew Tinker is on here on and Facebook. Might start with him or shoot him an email with your situation and pics

It had this happen on my 2007 around the swim platform brackets. It was years after the warranty, so it was out of pocket for me and I was the second owner.
Depending on the colors that were affected, it was $250 per gel color (color had to be matched) + plus labor.

If you were looking at the transom of the boat, if I did not tell you, you would not know it was repaired. So don't get too upset.

I have been working with Atlanta Marine, I love them. They quoted 1500-2k to fix. They seemed genuinely surprised it wasn't covered under warranty. I'm just a little irritated it appears to be a defect in the craftsmanship for a boat I have 100 hours on and now have to spend 2k to fix. I came over to moomba from masterctraft and was hesitant about the build quality and craftsmanship. While I did develop a few spider cracks on my MC, they didn't begin to develop until the boat was 10 or 12 years old years and and generally in areas where I tapped a dock or something similar.

mcjimmy33
01-08-2019, 09:35 AM
Hole was not chamfered properly and possibly overtightened. That’s a factory defect.

That's how I feel as well, just don't know the proper avenue to communicate that back to skiers. I am trying to just have a conversation with someone at skiers about it, not looking to blast them all over the internet. I plan on keeping this boat a while and want a good relationship with my dealer and them.

Stazi
01-08-2019, 09:39 AM
That's how I feel as well, just don't know the proper avenue to communicate that back to skiers. I am trying to just have a conversation with someone at skiers about it, not looking to blast them all over the internet. I plan on keeping this boat a while and want a good relationship with my dealer and them.

Contact Drew Tinker DIRECTLY and talk to him about it.

Mobius22
01-08-2019, 02:22 PM
mcjimmy33, shoot me an email at [email protected] when you get a chance.

MJHSupra
01-08-2019, 09:38 PM
There you go.

Jeepers
01-23-2019, 08:13 PM

That’s absolutely what happened. It’s just crack. Shouldn’t be much to fix. Won’t cause any issues with the hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mcjimmy33
01-29-2019, 10:18 AM
Just dropped off my boat this weekend at the dealer. Skiers steeped up to cover a portion of the repair, asking me to cover a portion as well.

Prospersigman
01-29-2019, 12:25 PM
Curious as to why Skiers would be asking you to cover a portion on the repairs if this is a structural issue?

mcjimmy33
01-29-2019, 12:38 PM
Well skiers is currently claiming its just a gel-coat issue and not structural. Not sure I agree 100% but everyone is basing this off pictures so far. Once the dealer sands down the area they will have a better idea of how deep the crack is. Only issue is I will never know unless I am present when they start sanding. Its a compromise from both sides. They didn't have to offer to cover anything. This was a goodwill gesture on their part.

Jeepers
01-29-2019, 12:43 PM
Skiers choice is 100% right. It’s just the gelcoat. Fiberglass doesn’t and can not “crack” like that. In addition, the fiberglass in that location has multiple layers and is very thick.

There’s nothing to worry about.

dakota4ce
01-29-2019, 02:55 PM
Well skiers is currently claiming its just a gel-coat issue and not structural. Not sure I agree 100% but everyone is basing this off pictures so far. Once the dealer sands down the area they will have a better idea of how deep the crack is. Only issue is I will never know unless I am present when they start sanding. Its a compromise from both sides. They didn't have to offer to cover anything. This was a goodwill gesture on their part.

The hull is not cracked. As stated already. Rest easy, it’s just the gel; cosmetic.

mcjimmy33
01-29-2019, 03:25 PM
Im happy with skiers offering to cover a portion, I dont want to come across as ungrateful at all. I may have misspoke earlier I dont believe the hull is cracked, I was more questioning how the hole was drilled and chamfered and how the plate was torqued down and if that caused the cracking. I was also worried about water intrusion behind the gel, however since everything is getting fixed I wont have any worries at all.

Jeepers
01-30-2019, 11:46 PM
Gelcoat’s weird like that. You can do everything right and it will still crack. It’s a really crappy product for boats. However, know one has come up with a better alternative. If I ever had to redo the entire boat, I would have them use the new marine auto type paint.