PDA

View Full Version : Boat lift help

jason1973
01-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Need a little help, below is a pic of my current boat lift. Its a Floe.

If you look at the center bunks, i have them sitting about 10" above the frame. With my new Mondo, i have tracking fins (didn't have them on my previous X2).

Can anyone tell me where i should set the height of the bunks so the frame doesn't contact the tracking fins? I am not sure how far the mondo sits in the water.. website says 25" draft. But i don't know where the tracking fins will end up (depth)

I usually have the bunks under the water when i pull in.. just under the water by about 1" or so.

Mondo Ken
01-02-2019, 02:57 PM
Hi Jason,

I would work with the 25" draft as noted.

My biggest concern would be hitting the driveshaft or prop on the crossmember if you happen to drift too far into the lift with the bunks being too low.

Attached are a couple of pics of my Mondo on its lift.

Hopefully this helps.

schwan
01-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Not near my boat for the winter, but it's not only the depth of the tracking fins, but also where your bunk contacts the hull, so how wide your bunks are set will change the depth/height needed for your bunks. Long story short, from the looks of your lift, I would probably raise the bunks as far as you can, might mean you need to get another section of dock, but that would be easier than the gel coat fix when a kid or yourself comes in too hot and smokes the driveshaft on the lift frame...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dakota4ce
01-03-2019, 04:51 PM
I would see if Floe makes a bow stop...to prevent an incident as described. Or make darn sure nobody does that.

Your water depth sure has a lot to do with it as well. You may be limited if you have shallow water.

My bunks are no higher than yours but are narrower to keep the hull higher and protect the keels. And my bow stop keeps me from getting too far forward to hit the prop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
01-04-2019, 04:43 PM
https://www.wakeboss.com/product/floe-boat-lift-accessories/floe-bow-stop-511-00004-00/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jason1973
01-04-2019, 05:15 PM
With my X2 mastercraft, i never got close to hitting the shaft. The section of pier in front of my lift provided a reminder not to go to far. But from the back frame, my shaft was about 3' behind it yet.

I could probably build something with some pool noodles as a stop as well. But as i said, the pier in front of it provided the guidance i needed. I may move my bunks closer together.

Kraimz15
01-04-2019, 06:34 PM
I have a FLOE and I believe I set mine bunks 18" on center each way. I set the height high originally, and then worked my way down so that I can just float my boat across the entire carriage (which assists me in putting on my canopy). Originally, I couldn't float it across without hitting the drive shaft, which always made me nervous so I raised it a bit. I do recommend using a torque wrench when tightening the bunks though as I'd hate to have them come lose and drop the boat while raising.

jason1973
01-04-2019, 09:57 PM
I have a FLOE and I believe I set mine bunks 18" on center each way. I set the height high originally, and then worked my way down so that I can just float my boat across the entire carriage (which assists me in putting on my canopy). Originally, I couldn't float it across without hitting the drive shaft, which always made me nervous so I raised it a bit. I do recommend using a torque wrench when tightening the bunks though as I'd hate to have them come lose and drop the boat while raising.

When you say 18" on center I am assuming each bunk was 18" from the middle of the lift, making them basically 36" apart correct?

Darter
01-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Draft doesn't count here. All you need to worry about is the height of the fins plus the additional height from the hulls contour. Your lift already looks pretty close. Doesn't matter how deep in the water the boat floats. The fixed distance is just between the bottom of the hull and the fins.

Ideally, spacing of the bunks should be similar to those on your trailer.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk