PDA

View Full Version : Swim platform question

Turbinesurgeon
12-23-2018, 02:16 AM
Got a question about the swim deck brackets. I bought my first inboard recently and it’s 2006 Supra Sunsport 24V. I went to the Supra forum but there doesn’t seem to be much activity there. I purchased this boat as a project boat and I noticed the swim deck bracket quick release pin holes are completely worn through. I decided to have a friend weld them up and then I would redrill them. My question is, is this a common problem? Is there a fix for this to stop them from wearing?2787827879

VA LSV
12-23-2018, 08:26 AM
Mine had play in they when new due to misalignment which caused the holes to enlarge. Welded mine up and drilled new holes with the platform in place so that all the holes line up with new larger lock pins.

jmb
12-23-2018, 10:06 AM
I had new stainless steel brackets made by a local machine shop. $300,00. Problem solved!

Turbinesurgeon
12-23-2018, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. I figured I would probably end up having new ones fabricated if these ones wear out. I wonder if I should get some fabricated to have them built taller to raise the swim deck.

996scott
12-23-2018, 12:38 PM
Most of the older boats have a lot of play with the swim deck. I can grab the back of my deck and lift it up and down an inch or two. A lot of people will put a "shim" in between the mounting bracket on the back of the boat and the bracket on the swim deck. I use a composite door shim and tap it down tight and it will stay there nice and tight. There is no play at all once i put them in. I think it helps a ton, especially while towing. You can buy a 12 pack of the shims from Home Depot for a few bucks and cut/break them into the right size.

VA LSV
12-23-2018, 01:12 PM
Most of the older boats have a lot of play with the swim deck. I can grab the back of my deck and lift it up and down an inch or two. A lot of people will put a "shim" in between the mounting bracket on the back of the boat and the bracket on the swim deck. I use a composite door shim and tap it down tight and it will stay there nice and tight. There is no play at all once i put them in. I think it helps a ton, especially while towing. You can buy a 12 pack of the shims from Home Depot for a few bucks and cut/break them into the right size.

After drilling new holes for the pins I drilled and tapped the bracket and went the set screw route to take out the play. I apply fresh blue Loctite every spring when reinstalling the swim platform after polishing the boat.

Turbinesurgeon
12-23-2018, 03:10 PM
After drilling new holes for the pins I drilled and tapped the bracket and went the set screw route to take out the play. I apply fresh blue Loctite every spring when reinstalling the swim platform after polishing the boat.

Do you have pictures of where you put the set screws?

VA LSV
12-23-2018, 05:43 PM
I don't have a pic but will try to get one tomorrow. You drill and tap the bracket on the boat so the set screw pushes on the platform bracket that slides down into the bracket mounted to the boat. This was actually on new boats for a while until the bracket design was changed. I thought there was an old post with pics but didn't find any but you might try searching.

jmb
12-24-2018, 10:51 AM
Why not just use stainless screws/small bolts and nuts to hold in place? Wouldn't that work?

MJHSupra
12-25-2018, 11:46 PM
I have a 2007 Supra. Never had any issues with the brackets or pins. I check the pins every now and then b/c I trailer the boat.

When I had the old platform on, there was some ‘play’ where the platform slid into the bracket. Cut some plastic shims to help the rattle. They would last a season, or less, fall out, I would put some new ones in the next year.

I installed a new surf platform years ago. Because of all the ballast and the aftermarket surf tabs, I raised the platform with some HDPE shims / strips. They are strips that sit between the top of the bracket and the bottom of the swim platform.

Probably have a pic somewhere.

PS - the Supra Forum has been dead for a few years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VA LSV
12-27-2018, 02:16 PM
Here's a link to an thread that has a pic. Mine didn't have the threaded holes so I had to drill and tap the bracket that is attached to the boat. I used 1 SS set screw per bracket. This was after I had the platform bracket holes welded and the re-drilled them with the platform in place so everything fit tight. Been rattle free for 10 years now.

VA LSV
12-27-2018, 02:17 PM
Forgot the link

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?30024-Surf-platform-wobble&highlight=swim+platform+screw

Turbinesurgeon
12-31-2018, 07:55 PM
My swim platform bracket receivers look a little different and I see no room to add a set screw. I think I’lll try drilling and taping the back of the swim platform bracket and installing a button head screw to take up the slack. I have to remove the platform to get the boat in the garage so I need something simple.

VA LSV
01-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Got a look at my boat today and found I drilled and tapped the platform brackets, not the boat brackets.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190101/3513f7872da79b8ce32f9669166ce20d.jpg

VA LSV
01-01-2019, 01:43 PM
I used 1/4-20 SS set screws. Just snug them up against the boat brackets to take out any play and rattle. Use blue locktite to keep them in place and tight. Been working great for 10 seasons.

Turbinesurgeon
01-02-2019, 11:02 AM
I used 1/4-20 SS set screws. Just snug them up against the boat brackets to take out any play and rattle. Use blue locktite to keep them in place and tight. Been working great for 10 seasons.

Thanks for the pic. I think I’m going to make mine like that too. Seems easy enough to do.

Turbinesurgeon
02-04-2019, 12:06 PM
I decided to install a heli-coil and 10/32 screw on the backside to take up the slack. Hope this works.

sandm
02-04-2019, 12:27 PM
my supra had the same issue. had to buy a new one on one side due to hole wearing thru. ended up using some stainless and wedging it into the boat bracket prior to installing the swimplatform. fixed the rattle issue.
had I kept the boat I would have gone the route mentioned above with new brackets made slightly larger to eliminate the slop.
I talked to a couple welders and none would touch the metal they used on the original brackets due to it's lack of quality.

Turbinesurgeon
02-04-2019, 08:04 PM
my supra had the same issue. had to buy a new one on one side due to hole wearing thru. ended up using some stainless and wedging it into the boat bracket prior to installing the swimplatform. fixed the rattle issue.
had I kept the boat I would have gone the route mentioned above with new brackets made slightly larger to eliminate the slop.
I talked to a couple welders and none would touch the metal they used on the original brackets due to it's lack of quality.

I had a friend weld mine up and he did a good job but told me the pot aluminum was junk. I think a long term solution would be to make new brackets out of stainless.

sandm
02-04-2019, 10:31 PM
you'll have issues again. i had the exact same setup and ended up with 2 new brackets and used shims to get rid of the slop that those transom brackets have. it was only a matter of time for the new boat owner that they will have to find a more permanent fix.
poor metal and poor fitment leads to failure and LOTS of slop in the swim platform. supra forum was full of guys with the same issues back in the late 2000's.

I will say tho that I had that boat for 5 years and that was one of the only issue I ever dealt with. pretty problem-free craft.

Jeepers
02-06-2019, 04:23 PM
I just shove a composite shim between the transom bracket and platform bracket, snap off the excess = no more rattles.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190206/344978462480172e71f3427d6cbf9576.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Turbinesurgeon
02-06-2019, 09:20 PM
I would do that if I didn’t have to remove the platform to get it in the garage. My co-worker mention just welding a big bead down the backside to take up the slack. I’m thinking a guy could make some money selling a whole new platform bracket assy.

MJHSupra
02-07-2019, 12:49 AM
I just shove a composite shim between the transom bracket and platform bracket, snap off the excess = no more rattles.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190206/344978462480172e71f3427d6cbf9576.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These work well. I use the same thing. Have that packet in my tool chest.

Sometimes they stay in place the whole season, sometimes they fall out. NP b/c they were are inexpensive.