PDA

View Full Version : Kids in bow...

cpropes2005
12-10-2018, 09:45 AM
I saw the post in the facebook group about the accident in Australia. It sounded like there was a 5 year old riding in the bow and he went overboard. So tragic and I cant even imagine what that family is going through.

It did get me wondering if this is a freak accident or should I change my own behavior to make sure this never happens to us. Our kids (5 and 7) love riding up front and so do all of their friends. Every kid on our boat knows that the rule is if you sit up front your bottom has to be touching the seat at all times, no bouncing, sitting up on your knees or horseplay. I have been know to yell in my most scary voice at any kid who violates this rule so for the most part they all follow it nicely. We have been doing this for a long time without any issues but it only takes once and I don't want to be complacent with the kids safety.

Thoughts from any of you guys that have young kids on your boat on a regular basis?

larry_arizona
12-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Thanks for sharing, no young kids in my boat, but if my kid was that young they would not be in the bow.

Roughest ride and most relative movement is in the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

james yarosz
12-10-2018, 10:46 AM
My grandkids( 4,6 and 7) like to ride in the bow while I tow my sons tubing or wakeboarding.Our lake can get crowded at times and this makes for alot of things to keep an eye on.There has been a few times that I have had to make them come inside the boat.Sometimes Im not the most popular grandpa but too bad.I feel im the safest grandpa.

jason1973
12-10-2018, 11:54 AM
The kids prefer to ride in the bow, but like you their seats have to be on the seat and they always wear their PFD's when the boat is moving without question. And i am fully aware of where they are, what they doing as the driver of my boat. Doing this, we have never been close to any incident.

zabooda
12-10-2018, 12:26 PM
I'm a member of the local dive rescue team and the drownings we have each year involving boats are adults usually under the influence of alcohol or drugs either falling out of or being thrown from a moving boat. We had one last year drown while attempting to retrieve his hat. Fortunately, kids have not been an issue mainly due to wearing the life jacket and responsible drivers. The main thing is to avoid sharp turns and have everyone seated while under power.

The issue we see with kids are playing on the beach and in the water without a life jacket. IMO, anybody who does not have swimming skills whether a child or adult should have a life jacket on while in the water no matter the depth of the water as that can change quickly.

cpropes2005
12-10-2018, 12:29 PM
Yeah same here on the life jackets. They are on at all times on the boat but it sounded like the kid in the accident had one on too.

I have honestly never felt unsafe with them up there except for a couple of times when we got caught out in some really rough water. When that happens I just stop and make them move to the back.

Really just looking for a sounding board of reasonable people to decide if we should be more cautious. The kids and their friends have grown up on/around boats so we are all very comfortable on the water and are generally responsible boaters but I just want to avoid the "it could never happen to me" attitude.

cpropes2005
12-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Thanks zabooda for that perspective. I couldn't agree more on the life jackets. Kids never take them off and I am always the guy handing them out to all of the adults when we stop to swim. We have several drownings per year on our local lake and based on the news stories a lot of them are experienced swimmers who just jump in and dont come back up.

sandm
12-10-2018, 01:03 PM
if you're driving the boat like an a$$hat, then expect people to fall out. if you are aware of the lake/rollers and drive a boat with some degree of caution, people bouncing out really shouldn't happen.

dakota4ce
12-10-2018, 03:17 PM
I definitely have caught kids in the bow doing a little bit too much leaning because obviously they are not aware of what could happen. Luckily it is in your line of sight when you’re driving so it’s pretty easy to catch. But definitely something to keep a close eye on.

That being said, they absolutely love to ride up there and as long as it is done safely they are in hog heaven.

cpropes2005
12-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Yeah they definitely love it. They go straight there with all of their friends as soon as they get on the boat. Honestly on the very rare occasion I am not driving or behind the boat sitting up front is a pretty sweet ride on a smooth day.

MJHSupra
12-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Sad story. Probably leaning too far over and things happened too fast to react. Yikes.

bjrow
12-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Very sad story and only 1h15mins up the road from here.
Was a still and foggy day, while no doubt a few boats out it wouldn't have been busy by any stretch.
Having visited and run a SeaRay around that same area it is full of snags, rocks, trees, old fence lines etc and the lake being at 57% would bring all that closer to the surface. Just saying it's a bit freaky driving around there and not something you'd do at speed. The family visited the area frequently and was known to the locals so they obviously knew the area. Said in the news reports that the kid had a life jacket on and was apparently sucked into the prop rotation/path. Don't really understand how that happens, my heart goes out to the family and those that helped. Not sure how you'd get over something like that...ever.
Just re-considering what I say to my teenage daughters when they're up in the bow if I see them fooling around while underway.
Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.

Slinger
12-10-2018, 09:07 PM
Terrible situation to all involved.
I have 50+ years experience in boats and a 5 and 8 year old. For me it's is an absolute rule NO KIDS in the bow when towing EVER, whether it my boat or someone else's. To me if i am towing surf or wake it is 100% about the rider. I do not need the distraction or responsibility of checking kids in the bow while towing and more importantly while I'm picking up fallen riders.
It takes a split second for someone to fall out and another split second for them to be munched by the prop. Even at idle they will be under the boat in less than a second. If you are picking up a rider you cannot watch the rider/rope and your kids at the same time. If you think you can or you think that your kids are 100% going to keep there bums on the seat you are kidding yourself.
Sure the chances are that this is never going to happen, it rarely does until it does... and then, well it is unimaginable!

trayson
12-10-2018, 10:38 PM
I saw the post in the facebook group about the accident in Australia. It sounded like there was a 5 year old riding in the bow and he went overboard. So tragic and I cant even imagine what that family is going through.

It did get me wondering if this is a freak accident or should I change my own behavior to make sure this never happens to us. Our kids (5 and 7) love riding up front and so do all of their friends. Every kid on our boat knows that the rule is if you sit up front your bottom has to be touching the seat at all times, no bouncing, sitting up on your knees or horseplay. I have been know to yell in my most scary voice at any kid who violates this rule so for the most part they all follow it nicely. We have been doing this for a long time without any issues but it only takes once and I don't want to be complacent with the kids safety.

Thoughts from any of you guys that have young kids on your boat on a regular basis?

I think that your rules and approach are reasonable. You're being plenty responsible IMO and I wouldn't feel compelled to be any stricter. Around here, you have to have your life jacket on while underway if you're under 13, so that's just part of the expectations around here. I'm fine with people in the bow while doing watersports. Heck, bow ballast is great for surfing! :-D If the kids aren't mature enough to handle themselves, they get corrected.

DFTR Josh
12-11-2018, 10:32 AM
This is no joke... I consider myself as an above average driver and I've had a grown ass man go over the bow. You will have the worst minute of your life if this happens. Till this day I still have no clue how he went over but thankful he didn't get hurt.

cpropes2005
12-11-2018, 10:46 AM
I cant even imagine how terrifying that would be.

I like the idea of no kids up front while towing people. Like Slinger said that can quickly become too much for the driver to keep an eye on everything at all times. Either that or just tell one of the other adults to sit up there with them and put them in charge of supervising the kiddos.

dakota4ce
12-11-2018, 12:44 PM
The whole towing piece makes good sense. Lotta stuff going on there.

I have even considered some little rail up there to supplement the safety. Never really found something elegant.

parrothd
12-11-2018, 08:42 PM
I leave my snap bow cover on, keeps the kids in the boat. They camp out in the bow but can't go over the side with the cover on. It's like a fort on the water.. :)

padge
12-15-2018, 08:05 AM
If you got room for kids in the bow, you don’t have enough ballast lol

parrothd
12-15-2018, 10:59 AM
If you got room for kids in the bow, you don’t have enough ballast lol

Lead..... :)