PDA

View Full Version : Max surf settings??

Busted
11-19-2018, 06:04 AM
Just got my Max delivered here in Australia and took it out on the weekend. The wakeboard wake was awesome however I couldn’t get the surf wave to set up. I was running full stock ballast, two 750 bags under the middle seats, trim plate at 0, standard wake plate settings and tried speeds between 9 and 13 mph with no luck. Auto wake was off. Can anyone help with the settings I need to get the wave to stand up?

DFTR Josh
11-19-2018, 10:25 AM
You should try with the Autowake on, you have plenty of weight for an awesome wave.
The MAX I used this season had an extra 600 mid ship. 100% surf side, 85-90% non surf and 90% bow, I can't remember the surf tabs but I think they were 60-70%. Autowake is your friend and you should learn the system and how it works, I promise you will love it...

Busted
11-19-2018, 04:56 PM
Thanks I will give that a try��

FamilyMan
11-19-2018, 11:50 PM
By not set up, what exactly do you mean? No wave at all? No push...short...tall...etc? How deep is your lake? My wave disappears with depth readings in the single digits.

I have a very similar set up (except no auto wake) and since I have goofy and regular folks out all the time just fill it all up and switch back and forth with great waves (goofy a little less clean without the slight listing). Try going up to, but not past, 20 on the center wake plate. Speed likely best between 10.8-11.8ish. For Goofy (surf right) stock plate settings I believe are 70 and on the surf right stock plate is at 60.

Busted
11-20-2018, 06:27 AM
The wake had some height but doesn’t curl and is mellow without push?

Boonejeepin
11-20-2018, 11:12 AM
My personal opinion is that you will need more weight in the rear than the stock bags.

I run 1280s in the rear lockers, 800s under the side seats, factory front bag, and a 500lb IBS. I also have a bit of lead in the rear locker. I normally have a light crew. 11-12 mph, wakeplate at 0, surf tabs at 45-50 for regular, and 55-60 for goofy.

dakota4ce
11-20-2018, 01:09 PM
My personal opinion is that you will need more weight in the rear than the stock bags.

I run 1280s in the rear lockers, 800s under the side seats, factory front bag, and a 500lb IBS. I also have a bit of lead in the rear locker. I normally have a light crew. 11-12 mph, wakeplate at 0, surf tabs at 45-50 for regular, and 55-60 for goofy.

What’s your total ballast here ( I don’t know the factory front sac weight). And do you run the 400? Is the power adequate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boonejeepin
11-20-2018, 04:12 PM
What’s your total ballast here ( I don’t know the factory front sac weight). And do you run the 400? Is the power adequate?

About 5660 in water ballast plus lead as needed (a few hundred pounds). The front underfloor bag is 1000 lbs. I run the 400 and the wake prop. The power is adequate for surfing with that weight.

dakota4ce
11-20-2018, 05:05 PM
That’s impressive! What kind of RPM?

I had an SE with similar weight and a 440 and she was on the ragged edge sometimes. Most of the time OK but a full boat would tip the scale.

The wave has to be killer with a Max at that weight.

Boonejeepin
11-20-2018, 05:18 PM
That’s impressive! What kind of RPM?

I had an SE with similar weight and a 440 and she was on the ragged edge sometimes. Most of the time OK but a full boat would tip the scale.

The wave has to be killer with a Max at that weight.

I run in the mid 3000rpm range. Too much weight in the the back will not allow it to get moving well. You need the more balanced approach with some weight in the front to get the hull angle working for you. If I have a full boat of people I don’t need all the of the weight.

The wave is pretty nice.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181120/1e7866a36b3d18e7f5431df5141b25fd.jpg

DFTR Josh
11-20-2018, 10:28 PM
I run in the mid 3000rpm range. Too much weight in the the back will not allow it to get moving well. You need the more balanced approach with some weight in the front to get the hull angle working for you. If I have a full boat of people I don’t need all the of the weight.
The wave is pretty nice.
The good old rock cliffs of Lake Powell, I'm so ready for summer!

Frank C
12-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Hi FM.
I'm buying a 2019 Max and want to add bags. Did you piggyback on to the rear bags? I'm told there are no extra ports on the rear factory bags. Thanks for the help!
Frank

Boonejeepin
12-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Hi FM.
I'm buying a 2019 Max and want to add bags. Did you piggyback on to the rear bags? I'm told there are no extra ports on the rear factory bags. Thanks for the help!
Frank

I piggybacked the side bags using upgraded WakeMAKERS 1280 rear bags that have a front port.

Frank C
12-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Haha. It was your thread that inspired me to convert straight from the showroom. OK got it. I've already priced the new bags. Would you have done anything differently in hindsight?
Thanks!

Boonejeepin
12-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Haha. It was your thread that inspired me to convert straight from the showroom. OK got it. I've already priced the new bags. Would you have done anything differently in hindsight?
Thanks!

IMO the Max really benefits from the addition weight. If there were bigger (taller) bags for the lockers I would have them. I still find that I like the wave with some added lead under the locker bags as well.

I did end up running the hose in a loop under the bag to keep the pressure off the bag fittings. The factory hoses did not line up perfectly for me and cause too much pressure on the fittings.

I also added some “L” shaped aluminum under the engine divider channel to keep the panels from popping out of the bottom track.

jcredible
12-19-2018, 05:23 PM
Curious if anyone with a Max has tried these bags?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhpL7YKhrC2/

Boonejeepin
12-19-2018, 07:57 PM
Curious if anyone with a Max has tried these bags?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhpL7YKhrC2/

Do these bags still require a hole through the bulkhead for a connecting hose so the bottom portion of the front can drain?

jcredible
12-21-2018, 01:32 PM
I see in the other Max Bag replacement thread a fella has a pair of them sitting in his garage. My assumption is that there will be a hose connection with fittings. I believe all the new 2019 Max's come with a hole through the bulkhead already.

-Justin

Frank C
12-30-2018, 10:44 PM
Hi Boone,
How much room is above the full 1280 bags. I have the factory trays in my rear lockers and wonder if the 1280's will hit the bottom of the trays. Also is there any room in your side lockers with full 800's?
Thanks, Frank

Boonejeepin
12-31-2018, 01:37 AM
Hi Boone,
How much room is above the full 1280 bags. I have the factory trays in my rear lockers and wonder if the 1280's will hit the bottom of the trays. Also is there any room in your side lockers with full 800's?
Thanks, Frank

My best guess is the 1280s leave 18 -20 inches when full. I do not have the locker trays to know how they work together.

The 800s take up almost all of the under seat space.

MrWick
12-31-2018, 12:48 PM
So on Black Friday we ordered a “modified “ wake makers Max upgrade package. With the additional height we added to all the bags it will yield an additional 400 plus lbs to the standard wakemakers offering. The next project will be to try to repurpose the stock rear bags. They will get shoved under the windshield and forward under the front seats.....I would think there is room to fill them half full or so....maybe an additional 400lbs per side..... we will see!