PDA

View Full Version : Flow 3.0 real world experience?

dakota4ce
11-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Who among us has experience with this system? As I look at a picture of it, it very much looks like the flow 2.0 tab with a lopped off and hinged corner and then a actuator to move said corner. Very straight forward looking adaptation of regular Flow 2.0.

So how dramatic is the effect of moving that flap down? Does it enable true level weighted clean switching?

I have a Makai with 2.0 that makes silly good waves, but it does require bias weight side to side to get perfectly clean. If that could be remedied without too much issue, things would get very interesting.

I have also considered what GSA would do on this hull, as well as a plate that mimics Swell 3.0. I realize these are not factory options—but wonder nonetheless if clean switching and incremental improvement to an already fabulous boat/wave could be achieved.

I had a Friday in a 2019 SE550 2 weeks ago, and the performance of Swell 3.0 is perfect. Dead-level weighting with clean switching. Autowake off. Amazing. I know the mass of my Makai is capable of a similar performance. I will attach a pic of that madness as well as a Flow 3.0 pic for fun.

If any of you can describe the really world practical use of Flow 3.0, that would be sweet!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181118/308be26fea956a9aa558d0621e4f85c7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181118/49932445c06a6fda6092622ce4646992.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slinger
11-18-2018, 07:02 PM
That photo(top) doesn't really look like the Supra Flow 3.0 system. Do you have any further information or photo's?

dakota4ce
11-18-2018, 07:07 PM
I think I took that off of the Moomba website?

I will look for further images.

dakota4ce
11-18-2018, 07:13 PM
It is off Moomba.com and is a pic of the back of a Craz Pro with Flow 3.0.

Possibly you’re thinking of Swell 3.0.

dakota4ce
11-18-2018, 07:25 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181118/bb5ed55579f9521203b440078d7866b7.jpg

Definitely is the Flow 3.0.

Slinger
11-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Yeah sorry I meant to say Supra Swell 3, but I realize now you were talking about Moomba Flow 3 but mentioned the SE and Swell 3. I have no in
put other than that the Swell 3.0 works really well:)

DFTR Josh
11-19-2018, 10:35 AM
FLOW 3.0 I think would set the Makai on fire! I was kind of surprised it didn't come with it or have the option to upgrade to it.

dakota4ce
11-19-2018, 10:59 AM
FLOW 3.0 I think would set the Makai on fire! I was kind of surprised it didn't come with it or have the option to upgrade to it.

Do you have any stories to tell? I’m wondering if this is the magic pill that makes clean switching a reality. My time out in that SE 550 and it’s clean switching was just heavenly!

RC_Hinojosa
11-19-2018, 11:09 AM

My guess is that it will follow similar deployment patterns of the Mojo & Craz. I'm certain we'll see a 2020 Makai Pro next year.

schwan
11-19-2018, 12:07 PM
I agree, I bet they will do a 2020 Makai pro. I'm also interested if anyone has good experience comparing what flow 2.0 vs 3.0 does. It would be awesome to hear someone chime in who has rode a similarly ballasted mojo/mojo pro and could really say how worthwhile that upgrade is. Also, I wonder how many dealers have upgraded a 2.0 to 3.0 and which years could actually do it anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dakota4ce
11-19-2018, 12:31 PM
I am pretty certain actual overall wave quality/power/shape etc is the same (or close) between 2.0 and 3.0, but the added articulation aids in wave face cleanup with less listing required.

That’s my impression, but hearing real world experience would be cool.

As far as upgrading goes—it would be easy as pie from what I can tell? They appear to be literally the same plate.

TXSurf4
11-22-2018, 12:20 AM
I am pretty certain actual overall wave quality/power/shape etc is the same (or close) between 2.0 and 3.0, but the added articulation aids in wave face cleanup with less listing required.

That’s my impression, but hearing real world experience would be cool.

As far as upgrading goes—it would be easy as pie from what I can tell? They appear to be literally the same plate.

So on my demo day I was supposed to demo a 2018 Mojo Pro and a 2019 Makai but I never got to demo the Mojo as the salesman ran up on a sandbar and chewed the prop up before we got there(lake was 2’ low) so I never got to see the wave but he said that the main difference is 3.0 make for a cleaner face. (Long story short after that day I am ordering a Makai hahaha) I definitely think it would be interesting to know if 3.0 makes for easier transitions. as far as the hardware it looks pretty simple but I am sure the software is also different to actuate the additional cylinder that moves the smaller part of the tab. Is any of it even able to be purchased?

dakota4ce
11-22-2018, 01:59 AM
So on my demo day I was supposed to demo a 2018 Mojo Pro and a 2019 Makai but I never got to demo the Mojo as the salesman ran up on a sandbar and chewed the prop up before we got there(lake was 2’ low) so I never got to see the wave but he said that the main difference is 3.0 make for a cleaner face. (Long story short after that day I am ordering a Makai hahaha) I definitely think it would be interesting to know if 3.0 makes for easier transitions. as far as the hardware it looks pretty simple but I am sure the software is also different to actuate the additional cylinder that moves the smaller part of the tab. Is any of it even able to be purchased?

Not at the moment—but you could easily make those extra actuators work on the simplest rocker switches. Sort of an auto/manual system. I wonder if they get adjusted constantly or if they find a happy place and generally stay there.

DFTR Josh
11-22-2018, 11:55 AM
Do you have any stories to tell? I’m wondering if this is the magic pill that makes clean switching a reality. My time out in that SE 550 and it’s clean switching was just heavenly!
There's a huge difference between the Supra surf system and Moomba. Flow 3.0 with the second actuators is only available for the Pro series of Moomba's. I got a random weekend with a Mojo Pro and it was amazing. I'm a rookie when it comes to wave, size, push, etc. but I did fill it was easy to just got 100% on the Pro and was able to surf both sides no problem. 3.0 seems to try and help "crab" the boat more which is helping clean up the waves and give you the option to surf 100% and not listed.

larry_arizona
11-22-2018, 12:05 PM
There's a huge difference between the Supra surf system and Moomba. Flow 3.0 with the second actuators is only available for the Pro series of Moomba's. I got a random weekend with a Mojo Pro and it was amazing. I'm a rookie when it comes to wave, size, push, etc. but I did fill it was easy to just got 100% on the Pro and was able to surf both sides no problem. 3.0 seems to try and help "crab" the boat more which is helping clean up the waves and give you the option to surf 100% and not listed.

Having tried both the Supra swell 3.0 and Moomba Flow 2.0/3.0, which system do you prefer?

dakota4ce
11-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Having tried both the Supra swell 3.0 and Moomba Flow 2.0/3.0, which system do you prefer?

I actually don't think its really possible to articulate any differences. There are too many variables on the table to possibly pinpoint the surf system as the difference. Flow 3.0 uses the second articulation to accomplish what Swell 3.0 has built into it: crabbing action. That particular moment of force is what allows a level weighted boat to create a cleaner wave with less list. Flow 2.0, which lacks that component, needs a little list. Swell 2.0, also lacking that type of design, required the same list to clean up.

Beyond that, all surf plates really do the same thing +/- minuscule differences which may or may not actually translate to the wave. Majority of the wave size comes of course from displacement, and majority of the wave shape comes from hull design. Beyond that, the particular type of plate that us used makes a small additional difference if any.

The only real "novel" design is GSA, and some would say it adds a little punch to the rear of the wave with its thrust vectoring design. Again, obviously debated. I thought it worked very well. Its an excellent aftermarket option. And really the only turnkey aftermarket option....so there's that.

MJHSupra
11-22-2018, 11:30 PM
What is the crabbing action?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

dakota4ce
11-22-2018, 11:31 PM
What is the crabbing action?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Introducing a yaw moment on the boat. Driving it sideways a little as it goes forward.