PDA

View Full Version : November 2018 Picture Thread

trayson
11-03-2018, 07:00 PM
Well, I made it to November again! Today was another test run after throwing even more parts at my engine.

The HP and LP pumps I installed didn't fix my problems.

This round I replaced:

New alternator (I had previously bought)
New plug wires
New Coil Wire (I did find corrosion on one of the ends of the old coil wire)
Re-gapped spark plugs to 0.060" spec
New ignition coil
Fixed a part of the ignition coil control harness where it had worn through the insulation expose a tiny bit of the conductor

I ran it through the paces. There and back 7 miles each way at 3500 RPMs. Then four of the 2.5 mile lengths of our slough. 1 with no ballast at 28mph, 1 with 1180lbs at 21.5mph, and 2 at 10mph with 3000+ lbs of ballast. No issues and the fuel consumption seemed better than it's been lately. So hopefully I'm finally in good shape.

Water was so smooth today!
https://i.imgur.com/6RyHuU7.jpg

She's ready. Comp vest under the drysuit just in case.
https://i.imgur.com/pl7v7Iy.jpg

Wife took a surf set. Water temp is in the mid-50s. Sure we could do wetsuits, but drysuits are way more comfy!
https://i.imgur.com/aZESaEu.jpg

If you see a pirate flag at half mast, what does that mean? The wife thinks it represents Zombie Pirates.
https://i.imgur.com/U1yitOI.jpg

psycho-heico
11-05-2018, 08:26 PM
I think it is a Pirate Tinder signal ....Wench wanted come aboard....LOL......so lucky to still have water to surf, our ponds already starting to ice over in the am.....

trayson
11-05-2018, 10:48 PM
I think it is a Pirate Tinder signal ....Wench wanted come aboard....LOL......so lucky to still have water to surf, our ponds already starting to ice over in the am.....

Our rivers never freeze. coldest I've seen our water is 36.

But I'm headed your way soon! Hitting up Banff the first week of December. Hoping for lots of winter up there!

psycho-heico
11-05-2018, 11:50 PM
crappy timing I will be in Mexico until the 8th, PM me your exact dates, would like to buy you a cold Canadian beer or 2 .....

trayson
11-06-2018, 01:09 PM
crappy timing I will be in Mexico until the 8th, PM me your exact dates, would like to buy you a cold Canadian beer or 2 .....

Ah bummer. Yeah, we'll be rolling into Banff (from the West) on the evening of Sat Dec 1 and we'll be leaving town sometime Friday morning 12/7. Thanks for the offer though! (even though I'm not a beer drinker, haha)

trayson
11-13-2018, 04:38 PM
As is often the case, Veteran's Day weekend was sunny and beautiful in the PNW. Water temp was 53 and air temp started in the upper 40s and ended in the low 50s. Drysuit, gloves, and booties for sure. The boat seemed to run okay, so that was positive.

https://i.imgur.com/1fpvpqs.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rJ79bre.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XHDsUi6.jpg

After we finished, the wind was picking up. The sailboats were out, and Mt Hood is blanketed in white.
https://i.imgur.com/JO7NpDX.jpg

trayson
11-13-2018, 04:42 PM
Then my son helped me empty out the boat and winterize. Bags removed, block drained, hoses blown out. I'm letting it air out a bit more (under the carport) and soon I'll throw the fans and damp-rid in there and put the cover on.

https://i.imgur.com/Yrd8tPJ.jpg

psycho-heico
11-13-2018, 07:35 PM
I see the wife sporting Outdoor Research head band...great company close to you...I have all my outdoor gear from them..They give first responders 50% off....I took advantage ...maybe too many items, so the wife says..... I guess now with boat away, time to plan your ski trip.......

trayson
11-13-2018, 07:50 PM
I see the wife sporting Outdoor Research head band...great company close to you...I have all my outdoor gear from them..They give first responders 50% off....I took advantage ...maybe too many items, so the wife says..... I guess now with boat away, time to plan your ski trip.......

Agreed. OR is a fantastic company located in the Seattle area, a couple hours North of me. They make bomber gear. I've used their gloves for YEARS and they absolutely have the best touch-tec leather to use my smartphone even though big warm gloves. And their "infinite" guarantee is the best in the industry.

I'm pretty spoiled actually, since locally we have Columbia/Mountain Hardwear/Prana. And we also have Adidas. And of course Nike/Hurley. I get passes/access to buy gear at the employee prices regularly. You'd think we're sponsored by Columbia/Mtn Hardwear with all the gear we have! LOL. It's sure nice never having to pay retail for all that gear!

bjrow
11-13-2018, 09:09 PM
Just a couple of pics from our first venture out, weather has been pretty poor till now.
Pics of Lake Eildon around a place called Jerusalem Creek.
Was also Remembrance Day so 1 min of silence taken at 11:00am, was quiet for sure.

Tried out a Ronix Potbelly Cruiser surf board, wow heaps of fun, thigh muscles still recovering from the excitement!
Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.

MJHSupra
11-13-2018, 10:02 PM
Well, I made it to November again! Today was another test run after throwing even more parts at my engine.

The HP and LP pumps I installed didn't fix my problems.

This round I replaced:

New alternator (I had previously bought)
New plug wires
New Coil Wire (I did find corrosion on one of the ends of the old coil wire)
Re-gapped spark plugs to 0.060" spec
New ignition coil
Fixed a part of the ignition coil control harness where it had worn through the insulation expose a tiny bit of the conductor

Is that Ignition Coil mounted to motor with a few bolts or screws?
Looks to have two harnesses connected to it and one coil wire?

trayson
11-13-2018, 10:17 PM
Is that Ignition Coil mounted to motor with a few bolts or screws?
Looks to have two harnesses connected to it and one coil wire?

Mounted with 2 nuts and bolts.
Yes, 2 wire harnesses and the coil wire.

https://i.imgur.com/WM7Mhss.png

https://i.imgur.com/qVvIyYk.png

jph3
11-13-2018, 10:49 PM
Had a quick trip to Powell - wish I could have stayed longer because it’s about to get really nice out there for the next few days. Overall, it hurt a little to put her away for a couple months. We have a winter trip scheduled in February... can’t come soon enough.

MJHSupra
11-13-2018, 11:21 PM
Mounted with 2 nuts and bolts.
Yes, 2 wire harnesses and the coil wire.

Thanks . . . . . !

hawgtitan
11-17-2018, 04:20 PM
Beautiful day in Middle Tennessee! Finally got her cleaned up ready for Spring!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181117/7984ffc1b5d6258c766f5ae66ebfb152.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
11-26-2018, 12:07 AM
Well, I'm all in now. Upholstery removed from the XLV. Should be quite the project. Saving money by doing at least the remove/replace of the pieces on the boat.

https://i.imgur.com/T00ApB3.jpg

MJHSupra
11-26-2018, 10:34 AM
What did you get quoted for the redo?

trayson
11-26-2018, 12:24 PM
What did you get quoted for the redo?

it's gonna depend on how much I do. If I dropped the boat off and had them do everything it would have been about $4k. But if I just give him skins to use as a pattern and remove the skins myself and reinstall the new skins it'd be $2k or less. But I'm not sure I'll be able to do a good enough job reinstalling the skins and not getting wrinkles so I'm not sure what level of involvement I'll have. Thinking I'll get the staples pulled as that's pretty labor intensive and will save me some money.

98outback
11-26-2018, 02:17 PM
You can save a lot of money just by removing all the staples attaching the skins to the seats. This is time consuming for an upholstery shop. They have to be gone to attach the new skins and new staples. Make sure they use stainless staples. My friend owns and upholstery shop here in Florida and luckily we worked out a deal. All it cost me was material but I removed from boat and removed all staples. On your curved cushions you need to make a template so the upholstery shop knows how the cushions goes back in or you will have wrinkles on the curves. I see a lot of pictures on here after people have them redone. It looks terrible. If you have any questions just let me know.

MJHSupra
11-26-2018, 02:22 PM
it's gonna depend on how much I do. If I dropped the boat off and had them do everything it would have been about $4k. But if I just give him skins to use as a pattern and remove the skins myself and reinstall the new skins it'd be $2k or less. But I'm not sure I'll be able to do a good enough job reinstalling the skins and not getting wrinkles so I'm not sure what level of involvement I'll have. Thinking I'll get the staples pulled as that's pretty labor intensive and will save me some money.

Thanks. I was thinking the job would be 4-5k.

My 07 Supra is about the same size. Good condition now, but I’m thinking about getting a newer boat before that repair hits me.

trayson
11-26-2018, 05:22 PM
Thanks. I was thinking the job would be 4-5k.

My 07 Supra is about the same size. Good condition now, but I’m thinking about getting a newer boat before that repair hits me.

It's gonna be REALLY interesting trying to reinstall all the backrests. Some of those spots are crazy to get to and It's going to be a huge pain to reinstall some of the locations. :-/

That said, two of us knocked out the removal of all the upholstery in about 2.5 hours.

98outback
11-26-2018, 06:03 PM
Here in Jacksonville Florida I had a couple prices ranging from 4-6k. Good thing my best friend owns and upholstery shop. Before and after.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181126/2b7679792c27bde916a4dbf257678237.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181126/0d17a490848958ca26ca8b731d9edba8.jpg

98outback
11-26-2018, 06:04 PM
That was a Supra 22ssv. All of these boats have a lot of cushions.

trayson
11-26-2018, 06:16 PM
I need a friend like that.

brad460
11-26-2018, 08:01 PM

Got to look at the upholstery as “remodel” that someday you will get your money back. I am guessing you paid a much reduced price for that boat with a crappy interior and it’s worth next to nothing like it is. No different than remodeling the kitchen in your house...it will pay you back someday. While painful spending the money it’s still an investment..

trayson
11-26-2018, 08:18 PM
Got to look at the upholstery as “remodel” that someday you will get your money back. I am guessing you paid a much reduced price for that boat with a crappy interior and it’s worth next to nothing like it is. No different than remodeling the kitchen in your house...it will pay you back someday. While painful spending the money it’s still an investment..

Oh I know. My upholstery was in decent shape when I got the boat, but I think that overspray from spray sunscreen (even with us TRYING to be as careful as possible using it on the swim deck only) took its toll.

I've been keeping it passable with patches and vinyl tape (I've even been using tape in the colors of my upholstery to make it look a smidge better). But I know that eventually I'll have to get it fixed, even to make it attractive to trade or sell down the road. I might have been able to squeeze a touch more time out of the existing vinyl, but I figure that if I'm gonna have to pay for new upholstery at some point, I might as well just do it now and be able to enjoy it more. And I put a lot of hours on my boat every year (I actually use it a LOT).

I wouldn't say that my boat is worth next to nothing with the handful of small tears (because I haven't let them become big gaping rips), but I get it that it's certainly worth less and is quite a bit less attractive.

zabooda
11-26-2018, 11:16 PM
You'll appreciate the upgrade on the vinyl. I replaced mine as they either cracked, suntan spray or cut. I stayed with the same color scheme so doing a few pieces each winter worked out well. Surprisingly, the driver's seat was the only one that never needed the change out.

elevatedconcept
11-27-2018, 12:03 AM
Got out this past weekend again, water isnt too cold yet.

trayson
11-27-2018, 02:29 AM
You'll appreciate the upgrade on the vinyl. I replaced mine as they either cracked, suntan spray or cut. I stayed with the same color scheme so doing a few pieces each winter worked out well. Surprisingly, the driver's seat was the only one that never needed the change out.

I'm going all in. Changing up the colors a bit, so it's all or nothing for me. I suppose there were some that didn't absolutely NEED replacing, but I think I could find cracks or imperfections on just about everything if I looked on the sides and everything.

trayson
11-27-2018, 02:30 AM

When is the water "too cold"?

DFTR Josh
11-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Got out this past weekend again, water isn't too cold yet.
Sweet baby Jesus, that is a good looking ride.

RC_Hinojosa
11-27-2018, 01:21 PM

Get some tint on that SE....it would look killer!!

sandm
11-27-2018, 04:01 PM

our current boat came with tint on it. it's a real pita to see thru. it's coming off in the spring.
may make a boat look cool but the tradeoff for visibility is not worth it. same reason you can't tint a car front windshield

RC_Hinojosa
11-27-2018, 04:41 PM
our current boat came with tint on it. it's a real pita to see thru. it's coming off in the spring.
may make a boat look cool but the tradeoff for visibility is not worth it. same reason you can't tint a car front windshield

I agree, 5% is pretty hard to see through. I have 20% DUB IR Ceramic tint, it looks awesome on the outside but the visibility is still excellent through the windshield when seated without the bolster. Normally I have the bolster flipped so I'm looking over the windshield. The other thing is that the ceramic tint actually made a noticeable reduction with interior temps and I'm no longer afraid to leave my phone on the dash.

With IR ceramic tint, my DUB IR dealer actually has a lot of folks tinting their car front windshield (50% or 70%) simply for the IR reflectance to reduce black leather car temps in the Texas sun.

elevatedconcept
11-27-2018, 07:36 PM
When is the water "too cold"?

Here? It gets too about 58 in mid dec/January and thats chilly for me...........

elevatedconcept
11-27-2018, 08:46 PM

Not a tint guy :(

elevatedconcept
11-27-2018, 08:47 PM
Sweet baby Jesus, that is a good looking ride.

Thanks big dog. Anytime you come into Cali let me know, stop by the shop we can go play etc...

bergermaister
11-29-2018, 12:14 PM
Oh I know. My upholstery was in decent shape when I got the boat, but I think that overspray from spray sunscreen (even with us TRYING to be as careful as possible using it on the swim deck only) took its toll.

I've been keeping it passable with patches and vinyl tape (I've even been using tape in the colors of my upholstery to make it look a smidge better). But I know that eventually I'll have to get it fixed, even to make it attractive to trade or sell down the road. I might have been able to squeeze a touch more time out of the existing vinyl, but I figure that if I'm gonna have to pay for new upholstery at some point, I might as well just do it now and be able to enjoy it more. And I put a lot of hours on my boat every year (I actually use it a LOT).

I wouldn't say that my boat is worth next to nothing with the handful of small tears (because I haven't let them become big gaping rips), but I get it that it's certainly worth less and is quite a bit less attractive.

Curious who you're having do the vinyl work?

On the reinstall, one word - ratchet wrenches. Ok, that's 2 words.

You might take a close look at the condition of the foam when you get to that point. If it's smashed flat from all the bikini babes you pile in there, at least the engine cover, now is the time to replace.

trayson
11-29-2018, 12:28 PM
Curious who you're having do the vinyl work?

On the reinstall, one word - ratchet wrenches. Ok, that's 2 words.

You might take a close look at the condition of the foam when you get to that point. If it's smashed flat from all the bikini babes you pile in there, at least the engine cover, now is the time to replace.

I haven't locked myself into anywhere yet, but I've talked with a guy in Tigard that did my buddy's Tige. He quoted me $4k if I dropped off the boat, I think about $3500 if I just gave him the pieces, and $2k or less if I gave him the skins and did the rest myself. If you have suggestions for someone that would do it for less, I'm all ears. I called that shop that AWS uses and they wanted like $5k to $6k, it was ridiculous.

I'm thinking I'll pull all the staples and have a shop do the rest. I don't know if I could get it stretched back nicely on the reinstall.

zabooda
11-29-2018, 01:24 PM
I don't know if I could get it stretched back nicely on the reinstall.

See if the business would be agreeable to make the skins and you install on a section or two and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out then have them install them. Usually, these places are busy enough they would welcome it and probably give you advice if needed.

bergermaister
11-29-2018, 06:08 PM
See if the business would be agreeable to make the skins and you install on a section or two and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out then have them install them. Usually, these places are busy enough they would welcome it and probably give you advice if needed.

Ehhhh - good luck with any inside corners. That kind of thing is truly an artwork to get them to look and fit right.

I went to Bentleys - Around $5k IIRC with me bringing in the pieces. Just don't go too cheap because you'll probably be living with it for as long as you own the X. 2 big expenses when redoing a boat - audio and vinyl. It's easy to swap out stereo gear. Not so much with interior.

jrobb
11-30-2018, 01:10 PM
If you do the skins yourself I found a website on another forum called copy cat upholstery. You can send them all the skins and they will match them and send them back. If I recall people were saying around $1000 to 1500 to go that route.

Edo88
12-02-2018, 08:54 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181203/3a18a660a2aec42d802746ad56efdcb1.jpg

Next weekend hopefully I’ll have some time to knock it out and post the pictures

Boonejeepin
12-02-2018, 11:35 PM
If you do the skins yourself I found a website on another forum called copy cat upholstery. You can send them all the skins and they will match them and send them back. If I recall people were saying around $1000 to 1500 to go that route.

That is a really cool concept for a moderate level DIYer like me.

RC_Hinojosa
12-03-2018, 09:49 AM
Next weekend hopefully I’ll have some time to knock it out and post the pictures

Good luck, take your time and don't let the removal of the old stuff frustrate you ;)

Cactus371
12-03-2018, 07:23 PM
It was a beautiful day Sunday so I finally got the wife to drive for me to get a little surfing in. The air temp was 80 and the water temp was 63. Finally able to wear the new wetsuit. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181203/ebef5895b577bd5e19937812ffae593a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181203/790ca79e4d9d0282ddb0ac682c594ec9.jpg