PDA

View Full Version : oil change now valves ticking

mark carpenter
11-19-2006, 08:16 PM
I have a 2007 mobius lsv with 325 mpi indmar, I changed my engine oil and filter at exactly 20 hours, when I started my engine I heard a light ticking noise coming from both valve covers, before the oil change everythig was excellent. I used 5+ quarts of penzoil 15/40 marine 4 cycle oil, fram ph30 oil filter, my oil pressure is good and at the correct level, I started and ran the engine a couple more times but I still hear ticking. I have use penzoil in other engines :( and I know that it is a good brand, but should I use a different brand such as castrol which I use in my Jaguars. I did not go to my dealer because I would spend more time sitting on th interstate than in my boat.

smokedog2
11-19-2006, 11:01 PM
I have three SWAGS

1. It always was there, you just now noticed it.

2. It is coming from someplace else you knocked lose. you just think it is the rockers.

3. Timing. The dealer has a laptop with a cool diagnostics program (well not really that cool but better than nothing).

Did you follow the break in process?

Mine might have that a well - maybe it should tick - better than not moving at all! I'd go check but mine is tucked away for the winter.

lowdrag
11-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Lots of times people can confuse the sound of the fuel injectors opening and closing as a ticking in the heads. Are you sure it's not a noise that it was making before and you just didn't notice it? Maybe you're just paying a little more attention now because you serviced the engine and are a little worried that you may have done something to it.

qb12
11-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Mark, I have to agree with lowdrag. my 325 efi sounds the same as you are expericing but it turned out to be the fuel injectors.

maybe you just didn't notice it before. i put over 135 hrs on my engine last year alone and has yet to use a drop of oil after the intitial break in.

db

mark carpenter
11-20-2006, 09:50 AM
thanks smokedog and lowdrag for the input, maybe the ticking is just in my head :lol: . I will take my boat to the dealer for a checkup and winterization when the water here gets too cold for wakesurfing.