PDA

View Full Version : Kids Wakeboard - Righty & Lefty

1967Goat
10-24-2018, 03:09 PM
I bought a 98 Mobius around Labor Day this year. Christmas is right around the corner and I was thinking of getting my boys a wakeboard to teach them next summer. They will turn 7 & 8 over the winter.

Problem is, one is a lefty while the other is a righty. I already asked them which foot they would use if riding a skateboard and the lefty said his right foot. The righty said his left foot.

I am leaning toward a Ronix Vision board & bindings. I am open to other board/binding suggestions.

Is it possible to setup 1 board for both? The Vision description has me a little concerned..."The board is a symmetrical shape but does does have some asymmetrical features to help riders learn toeside edging. "

These boys have never been on a wakeboard, so I'm not 100% convinced they will both like it. I am 99% sure my older boy will, but not so confident the younger one will like it. If I have to I can buy 2 setups, but that's gonna hurt the wallet.

When they get older/more advanced I can see them each having their own board, but at this early stage can they share 1?

Stazi
10-24-2018, 04:32 PM
It won’t matter because toeside is toeside, regardless of direction. The board assymetry is due to different length and placement of the outer fins, but they are the same back and front on each side. So as long as you mount the bindings facing the correct edge it doesn’t matter if you ride left or right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikenehrkorn
10-24-2018, 04:58 PM
You should be fine with one board......my daughter and wife have basically the same build and share the same board even though one is regular and the other goofy. I believe all boards these days allow the boots to be moved and configured which will likely be needed to allow each of your boys to feel comfortable.

1967Goat
10-24-2018, 05:10 PM
AH! Now it makes sense.

I was into wakeboarding back in the early 2000's and I had a friend who rode goofy and we would switch the binding around...now I am not sure why. That board was not mine and is now long gone...not sure why we switched the bindings around back then. Maybe it was asymmetrical, who knows.

If anyone has a thought on a better kids board besides the Ronix Vision, let me know. Looks like I can pick up a 2018, or even a 2017 model for a decent price (~$300). I'll probably do a package.

Stazi
10-24-2018, 06:00 PM
The Vision is a great learner board for kids. It’s the kids version of the Ronix Vault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikenehrkorn
10-25-2018, 07:48 AM
Not sure what you're looking for, but you should be able to find some great closeout deals this time of year. Evo has an outlet to their online store and usually have some pretty decent deals.

Looks like you can get several different boards from $150-200 right now...maybe the one in the link below??

https://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards/ronix-vault-wakeboard-boys-2017#image=114562/472730/ronix-vault-wakeboard-big-boys-2017-128.jpg

mikenehrkorn
10-25-2018, 07:51 AM
Not sure what you're looking for, but you should be able to find some great closeout deals this time of year. Evo has an outlet to their online store and usually have some pretty decent deals.

Looks like you can get several different boards from $150-200 right now...maybe the one in the link below??

https://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards/ronix-vault-wakeboard-boys-2017#image=114562/472730/ronix-vault-wakeboard-big-boys-2017-128.jpg

Oooops, that's just a board for $150-200, though they also have packages with boots starting at $250....

yearround
10-25-2018, 11:52 AM
When our kids were young, we had one youth board, CWB something. I set the bindings in a neutral stance, with both toeing out the same. this allowed the board to be used by any of the kids, at any time and any direction. for me, changing binding placement for the kids was too much of a pain, and we would lose a kid in the mean time "because it took too long" they would usually have a friend or 2 with and that help or not with the distraction, attraction.

I would/did buy one board until they were big/advanced enough to warrant something better.

My biggest concern is always to make sure they have a good time and keep the stoke for the ride.

shockthis
10-26-2018, 10:59 AM
Maybe your board at that time had a nose and a tail, Back then Lots where not a twin style board but more of a directional board.

1967Goat
10-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Just placed the order for the Ronix Vision board and bindings. Under $300 shipped. Kids will be super excited come Christmas day!

Kinda sucks buying a boat in September in Colorado! It's gonna be a long winter.