PDA

View Full Version : Raptor oil change challenges

BigOrange
10-22-2018, 08:52 AM
Hey everyone. Tried my oil change this weekend with no luck. Used exact same setup as last year: heated oil up by running off the water hose. I had already snaked the oil pan hose out the transom plug.....shut it down and went to hook up small extractor pump and nothing. No oil drips from gravity drain, nothing sucked up by the pump. The pump could be better, but it did work last year. I have a miti-vac style on order from amazon now. Is it possible to get an air bubble in the hose somewhere that is basically preventing pumping? I know plenty of oil is in there because oil pressure is OK when running the engine. Thanks.

Stazi
10-22-2018, 09:05 AM
Should work. Not need to snake the tube out the bilge drain. I just drain it from inside the boat. You may have kinked the hose when you tried to snake it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
10-22-2018, 05:54 PM
Make sure it's warm.

Try opening the oil cap where you fill it.

BigOrange
10-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Yeah, it should have been warm. Ran for 10 to 15 minutes at least. I tried opening the oil cap as well on top of the engine. I'm thiking it has to be just a bad extraction pump. My new pump should arrive today and will then give it another shot soon. Just wanted to know if there was an forum experience where a loop or something in the pan hose would cause air-lock for lack of a better term.

rdlangston13
10-24-2018, 08:35 AM
I had the same issue, I ended up having to get an adapter that threads over the NPT connection on the oil hose to create an air tight seal. Then it drained very well.

Kraimz15
10-24-2018, 01:30 PM
2 things...most likely a kink in the bilge hose (heard a lot about that). Also, open the oil file cap and take out the oil cartridge. I got a lot more oil out after doing those two things.

MJHSupra
10-24-2018, 06:41 PM
I think it would be difficult to kink that oil line, but it could happen. Mine is not that flexible.

I agree with the air-tight seal, remove cap and filter, let it flow.

I just picked up a new oil filter, so I will be doing this tomorrow before the rain hits TN.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigOrange
10-25-2018, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the replies, I hope to give it a try Saturday -- hopefully Friday's rain will move on and I can keep the boat dry on Saturday to do the change and winterize.

Being lazy here, anyone have a good reference to the NPT cap/coupler that's needed? 1/4 female threaded?

LAwake
10-25-2018, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the replies, I hope to give it a try Saturday -- hopefully Friday's rain will move on and I can keep the boat dry on Saturday to do the change and winterize.

Being lazy here, anyone have a good reference to the NPT cap/coupler that's needed? 1/4 female threaded?
https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Metals-Fitting-Connector-Female/dp/B000LNKIDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540511213&sr=8-1&keywords=anderson%2Bmetals%2B%2Bbrass%2Bhose%2Bfit ting%2B5%2F16%2B%2Bbarb%2Bx%2B1%2F4%2Bfemale%2Bpip e&th=1

BigOrange
10-26-2018, 10:27 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks LA !!!!

LAwake
10-27-2018, 11:09 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks LA !!!!

Anytime! I found it a while back when looking for the same set up so I made sure I saved the link.