PDA

View Full Version : Anyone has a damaged prop laying around for purchase?

JAdriAC
10-14-2018, 11:11 AM
I am in sort of a complicated situation looking for help. I recently hit something in the water that damaged my prop. I was pretty pissed off about the situation and I am very picky so I just bought a new prop and tossed the damaged. Well, it happens that now that the season ended I was polishing the boat underneath and saw that cracks formed on the strut from the impact. Well I guess I missed them and they are VERY EXPENSIVE to fix. Need to go through insurance. Well I told them that I may have tossed the prop and that I will need to check and they said that they NEED to see a damaged prop or a repaired prop to cover anything. They don't care but they need to see something. To me it just sounded that they need some pictures in the file as general protocol. I've been asking around and it seems that without the damaged prop they may just call it wear and tear and won't cover the fiberglass repair. This is stupid because looking through different forums I have seen people with similar damage and the prop remaining intact somehow. So it is possible to not need prop damage. On mine, the shaft is perfectly straight. Actually the prop wasn't too bad IMO. I should have kept it and repaired it as it may have been repairable... But i didn't want to see it. I have told the insurance that I do not want money for the prop. I just want them to pay for the rest of the damage, the fiberglass stuff. So they really should not need the prop if they are not covering that part.

LONG STORY SHORT, DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ACME 537 (13.5X16) OR ACME 1235 (14.5X14.25) DAMAGED PROP SITTING AROUND THAT THEY WOULD BE WILING TO PART WITH OR SELL CHEAP????

sandm
10-14-2018, 11:40 AM
I have a 537 with bent blades. it's not bad at all-minor blade bending. it could be straightened out pretty easy. includes an acme carry bag.

how much you looking to spend.

if all you want is jpg pics I would be happy to send those to ya free :)
would even take it to the prop shop and send over an estimate to fix to ya. was planning on getting it straightened and selling.

wherebouts in wi are ya. just moved to vegas after 4 years in GB-Depere specifically. happy to never shovel another snowflake again :)

elevatedconcept
10-14-2018, 09:44 PM
I have a 537 thats in perfect shape. 200 and you pay the shipping :)

lsupcar
10-14-2018, 09:52 PM
I have some images from a bent acme I can share if you like.

JAdriAC
10-14-2018, 09:57 PM
Let me PM you individually to see if we can figure something out. I appreciate the help.

JAdriAC
10-14-2018, 10:08 PM
I have a 537 thats in perfect shape. 200 and you pay the shipping :)

That's probably not gonna work! Might as well show mine at that point.

Actually if someone has a repaired prop pictures of before and after that would be interesting to see. Now that I tossed mine I have learned that they are apparently not that hard to fix, but some people still say that you can never get them 100% and can cause vibration to the shaft the causes wear to mechanical parts over time even though you cannot feel it when driving around normally. Actually some people say they only feel the subtle vibrations at certain loads or conditions on repaired props.

JAdriAC
10-14-2018, 10:23 PM
BTW, in an ideal scenario and to be realistic I should at least show a prop with repairable damage. I did not hit like a big rock or anything, I think it was a log or some sort of piece of wood in the water. May have been from a dock with all the rain we have been getting cause I heard bunch of wood on docks ended up around the lakes. I talked with a reputable shop and they told me that if the prop gets hit hard to the point of not being repairable generally there is more damage than what I got and the shaft bends. Which I agree, I think mine may have been repairable, but whatever. Its too late now. Now I have to focus on plan B :)

parrothd
10-14-2018, 10:24 PM
That's probably not gonna work! Might as well show mine at that point.

Actually if someone has a repaired prop pictures of before and after that would be interesting to see. Now that I tossed mine I have learned that they are apparently not that hard to fix, but some people still say that you can never get them 100% and can cause vibration to the shaft the causes wear to mechanical parts over time even though you cannot feel it when driving around normally. Actually some people say they only feel the subtle vibrations at certain loads or conditions on repaired props.

There's no difference when a prop is repaired, if it's a legit shop. Some DIY garage then yes, but my shop scans it with a computer. Comes back perfect.

JAdriAC
10-14-2018, 10:28 PM
I have a 537 with bent blades. it's not bad at all-minor blade bending. it could be straightened out pretty easy. includes an acme carry bag.

how much you looking to spend.

if all you want is jpg pics I would be happy to send those to ya free :)
would even take it to the prop shop and send over an estimate to fix to ya. was planning on getting it straightened and selling.

wherebouts in wi are ya. just moved to vegas after 4 years in GB-Depere specifically. happy to never shovel another snowflake again :)

I'm further south between Madison-Milwaukee area. However, weather sucks pretty bad. With all the rain most lakes around us went "no-wake" most of the season and now its COLD. Last night it was 29F. Not cool... literally... more like freezing :)

JAdriAC
10-14-2018, 10:38 PM
There's no difference when a prop is repaired, if it's a legit shop. Some DIY garage then yes, but my shop scans it with a computer. Comes back perfect.

That's good to know. I don't think I have anyone as fancy like that locally. Scanner would be the way to go. Where are you located so I know for the future in case I have some bad luck twice?

AH MY BAD. Just reread my post. I meant the base mounting area, not actually the strut. The strut is perfectly fine from what I can tell, the shaft as well. However, the mounting area of the strut (fiberglass) was what cracked. Not an easy repair from what I have been told. Shop will check and make sure nothing is bent when work on it starts but they also think its fine.

parrothd
10-14-2018, 10:42 PM
That's good to know. I don't think I have anyone as fancy like that locally. Scanner would be the way to go. Where are you located so I know for the future in case I have some bad luck twice?

AH MY BAD. Just reread my post. I meant the base mounting area, not actually the strut. The strut is perfectly fine from what I can tell, the shaft as well. However, the mounting area of the strut (fiberglass) was what cracked. Not an easy repair from what I have been told. Shop will check and make sure nothing is bent when work on it starts but they also think its fine.

Send it to nettles props, next time buy from them they give a repair coupon.. ��

sandm
10-15-2018, 01:19 PM
pm'ed and i'll shoot some pics tomorrow. it's not bent up too bad. tweaked a little. should be an easy fix for a reputable shop.

JAdriAC
10-16-2018, 11:01 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'm looking into it and will see if pictures is all I need. If not I'll be looking into the next alternatives.

trayson
10-22-2018, 01:38 PM
I have this prop on my boat right now. It's pretty obvious it was repaired.

http://i.imgur.com/oAbHquT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vwOW10D.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8gMuDPE.jpg