PDA

View Full Version : Boat not starting when hot

Jamesnewboater
10-06-2018, 03:10 AM
I have moomba mobius 2004. Last time boating it ran fine for awhiletowing wake boaders.boarders. then, After turning it off it would turn over but would not start. I opened engine cover and after cooling down awhile, it started . Seemed to then run well but after turning it off, same thing again. Took it to a mechanic who thinks it is fuel pump. However, he checked pressure which he said is 75 and too high. He thinks it needs a new fuel pumpat cost of $600 plus labor. Any suggestions or other thoughts?

mpbanskie
10-06-2018, 05:03 AM
Its fuel evaporating in the hose to the engine, when the engine is running there is enough fuel flow to self cool when you stop it starts to evaporate. Easy fix is to dip a rag in cold water from the bottom of a cool box and drape this over the fuel line. I have started many 2008 era boats this way. More recent boats have a pump in the fuel tank that pressurizes the hose preventing the fuel from turning to vapour.

If you mechanic does not know this find another one - or I can send you a $600 dollar rag

mpbanskie

mpbanskie
10-06-2018, 05:08 AM
I should add, if this is happening for the first time, check you engine temp and anything that could be contributing to higher temps - strainer, impeller, oil level etc

mpbanskie.

zabooda
10-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Vapor lock is common for older models and search the forum as there is a lot of information on it.

sandm
10-07-2018, 11:20 AM
run the blower from start to end. that worked for us. if it happens again, pour a small bottle of water on the fuel pump and that usually takes care of the issue.

and like zabooda said, there's quite a bit of info out there on the subject and most point to 2 or 3 things to do to fix it.

MJHSupra
10-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Happened once my 2007 Supra. I used the water bottle trick to get going that day, then always used 100% fuel. Easy to do since I trailer the boat. No issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
10-07-2018, 02:37 PM
Good call on the blower. I run mine 100% when engaged in towing activities.

I usually forget to turn it off until the boat is turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

996scott
10-07-2018, 02:44 PM
vapor lock. I get it at least a few times a year. Cold water on the fuel pump and you are good to go.

Engine Nut
10-08-2018, 01:08 PM
Sounds like you might have vapor lock but that high fuel pressure is a concern. High fuel pressure is typically a fuel pressure regulator issue or a restricted fuel return to the tank. A 2004 model should have 60 PSI fuel pressure.