PDA

View Full Version : anyone been in the same boat as me?

jason1973
09-25-2018, 08:35 AM
As i mentioned, i am getting ready to buy a Mondo, however also looking at the Axis A20. Something about both is making this a hard decision. I have never purchased a new wake boat and am coming off a mastercraft (older model).

Anything to help sway my decision? anyone know about both of these boats? Both look pretty good from the models i have seen on the floor. Moomba does look a little higher quality to be honest, but not sure. I really want to make sure i am making the right decision. We surf mainly.

moparsigfan
09-25-2018, 08:55 AM
Hi there,

Earlier this summer we were in a similar situation. We put down a deposit on an axis T22 but ended up buying a Moomba Craz.

The Axis came with the surf band and was loaded with a 4 speaker tower audio system, sea deck etc. but in the end the quality of the Moomba interior, the better dash and ballast system plus the Raptor 6.2L swayed us to go with the Craz.

If you are looking at 2019’s I think Axis has made some major improvements but then again so have Moomba!

I would have to recommend getting a demo of both boats so you can check out the wake and surf wave quality of each, along with how easy the boats Systems are to operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dakota4ce
09-25-2018, 09:20 AM
I would not worry very much about the wave on a demo. Because there’s a high chance your demo might not be perfect. I would concentrate more on which one you like inside, which one you like to drive better, which one sounds better, takes waves better, etc.

Check out the storage, the way the helm feels, looks, works, The quality of the trailer, all that kind of stuff.

The bottom line is that both boats can be made to surf very well, wakeboard very well. Neither is going to be totally awesome from the factory. But they both can get there.

DatTexasBoy
09-25-2018, 09:58 AM
I have owned 2 Axis boats in the past. The Moomba build quality is no doubt better! both will produce great waves and wakes, but I believe with the Moomba you can achieve it easier in the Craz. Allowing you and the family to enjoy it better day in and day out. The Moomba will also drive better while surfing with way less bow rise.

sandm
09-25-2018, 10:55 AM
spent a lot of time on a mondo in wisconsin. it's a great boat. easy to drive, comfortable to ride in and very dry. guessing surf and board waves will be similar or not enough difference unless you are a pro. if it was my decision and I had good dealer support it would be moomba all day. I am personally not a fan of the axis interiors but if you only have dealer support for 1 brand close I would weigh that a little heavier.

tre
09-25-2018, 11:24 AM
One thing to note about the Axis A20 is the very bow high ride. There was one on our lake all summer and the driver had to stand up all summer to drive it and see over the bow while surfing. I've never seen an inboard ride as bow high as the A20.

KG's Supra24
09-25-2018, 12:01 PM
I'm with sandm, the Moomba wins all day unless the dealer support becomes a differentiating factor.

Shoebox
09-25-2018, 07:34 PM
I recommend you DON'T demo both boats, because right off the showroom the Axis will surf better and be easier to set up. But properly weighted, the Mondo will have as good or better wave, and a much better overall boat.

dakota4ce
09-25-2018, 08:34 PM
Go drive them both. Don’t pay attention to the surf wave. They both are fine. But buying a boat without driving it is insane, even if I have actually done it a couple of times....

Shoebox
09-25-2018, 08:43 PM
I guess I should have clarified not to demo the surf wave. Definitely drive both.

mgswake
09-25-2018, 10:07 PM
I guess I should have clarified not to demo the surf wave. Definitely drive both.

This is just hypothetical but if I was a dealer I would ask what the demo is for: ski, wake, surf, foil? Why would you not set the boat up for the activities the interested party is wanting to try? I think the dealers should learn to set boats up correctly. Or get a guy like dtfr to take d mo boats.

To the OP, go drive both and get the one you like better. Make sure to look for things like rough water ride, bow rise while at different speeds, and comfort and ease of use for coolers, radio and other accessory. And ballast fill times. Good luck!

sandm
09-25-2018, 10:59 PM
mondo will not produce a great wave out of the box so I can understand shoeboxs' point. the mondo I was on had upgraded bags in the back and having ridden it before and after it was night and day. I am guessing that most dealers either don't know enough to demo them that way or won't due to it being over the capacity plate in most cases.

and did I mention that the surf wave was night and day with the upgraded bags :)

jason1973
09-26-2018, 09:10 AM
I would be buying the mondo with 750's in the rear and the upgraded bow package. Comes in somewhere around 2600lbs of ballast.

Shoebox
09-26-2018, 09:11 AM
I would be buying the mondo with 750's in the rear and the upgraded bow package. Comes in somewhere around 2600lbs of ballast.You want at least 900s in the rear, 750 in the bow.

sandm
09-26-2018, 09:31 AM
You want at least 900s in the rear, 750 in the bow.

this........

jason1973
09-26-2018, 01:57 PM
will that be needed to surf? or will not be needed to create a PRO wake. I am a weekend surfer, not competing or anything like that. Just want to be able to drop the rope for a change which i can't do on my X2 of old.

i don't need to pro wake. We are just recreational.

Shoebox
09-26-2018, 02:35 PM
Starting out, no it won't be needed. But you'll be wishing you had more really quickly.

sandm
09-26-2018, 02:46 PM
900's made the difference between a surf wave that you had a hard time letting go of the rope and a surf wave that you could ride/carve/enjoy.

almost every boat out there needs more weight out of the box to have a decent wave. I rode a craz the first year they were released to help a guy set it up on the fox. the wave on that boat out of the box was not good. upgraded bags and he had a good start with some work ahead playing with the tabs.

jason1973
09-27-2018, 01:01 PM
would it be fair to say Moomba (mondo) needs far more weight to get a surf wave over the competition?

jcredible
09-27-2018, 01:17 PM
From my experience, that is not true...just about every boat out there needs more than the stock ballast gets you. There is a reason why all the new boats are coming with additional weight...see the following:

1) Makai - 4000lbs stock

2) Supra SL - 3500lbs stock

3) Supra SR - 3300lbs stock

4) Centurion RI217 - Options to put 4950lbs from factory

5) Centurion RI237 - Options to put 5100lbs from factory

I know that these are not apples to apples comparison due to size of boats...but it shows that displacement is the #1 priority for a good quality wave. 2300 lbs creates a surfable wave out of the box(I am 175 lbs and had no problems going ropeless stock...if you put the wakemakers 1100lbs bags in-place of the 650lbs stock bags...it just makes a BIG difference in the wave quality(length, height, push). I haven't been behind a ton of sub 21 foot boats...but I think both the Helix and Mondo will compete with any smaller boats from a wave quality perspective.

Shoebox
09-27-2018, 01:19 PM
would it be fair to say Moomba (mondo) needs far more weight to get a surf wave over the competition?I don't know that that's the case. I haven't surfed an A20, but the A22 I demoed, the dealer had added 800s to the rear lockers above the stock subfloor ballast, so it wasn't bone stock. Add 800s to a Mondo and it will surf great.

jason1973
09-27-2018, 01:32 PM
This is quite helpful. I spec'd the 750's but may increase to the 900's. Doesn't mean i have to fill them completely but i would have it as we grow in skill.

Shoebox
09-27-2018, 02:33 PM
Get the 900s and a 750 IBS, fill them and surf away!

jason1973
09-27-2018, 03:12 PM
is the 750 IBS something that can be ordered? i am assuming IBS is bow ballast correct? i think he put 500 up there and said it was the max i could do.

Shoebox
09-27-2018, 03:19 PM
I don't know why Wakemakers doesn't list the bow bag for Mondos past 2014, but the bow area hasn't changed that I know of. This is what you want:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180927/a34e33c42598e6c649ba41a372d8c41e.jpg

jason1973
09-27-2018, 03:26 PM
awesome thank you

Byezb
09-27-2018, 05:30 PM
Which 900lbs bags for the rear would you recommend for the mondo?

Shoebox
09-27-2018, 11:26 PM
Which 900lbs bags for the rear would you recommend for the mondo?If you can find a set of 900s from a Mojo that someone replaced with bigger bags, those would be ideal. Otherwise measure your locker and get one that fits best.

Byezb
09-28-2018, 03:26 AM
Thanks. I’ll take a look at the classifieds here.

jcredible
09-29-2018, 12:17 AM
If you can't find used...Wakemakers are great quality and fitted

https://www.wakemakers.com/supra-and-moomba-750-rear-upgrade.html

Not sure if the 2019 Mondo comes with the steel re-enforcements...but even with the 650s my panels would get a nasty curve:

https://www.wakemakers.com/engine-divider-panel-saver.html

JesseC
10-05-2018, 09:42 AM
I have a 2015 Mondo Surf Edition and absolutely love my boat! Get the surf edition with the bow bag already installed. I did swap out my rear bags for the 900# one from one of the newer models. It made my surf wake on both sides perfect! Only word of caution is how the bags are hooked up. My Mondo came with the bags that have one fill, one drain and one vent port. The newer modes with autowake have 5 ports. I bought a set off of a member that I think had a Craz and I could not get the fittings out of the bags to plug them so I just made some extra connections to link the ports together. I would buy my Mondo again in a heartbeat! When we wakeboard we only fill everything about half way and it is too much wake for our skill level and we have 1,500#s left to add to it if we ever do!