PDA

View Full Version : Move radio on/off from ignition to toggle switch

DaveM
09-24-2018, 03:09 PM
I have seen discussions before, but can I move the on/off radio control from the ignition switch to one of the auxiliary toggle switches on my 2018 Craz? If I am using Bluetooth, every time we turn off the engine, my phone loses contact with the radio, and I have to hit play again on the phone, even if I quickly move the ignition key from on to accessory setting. Seems once ignition goes to off, radio & phone have to reset, which is maddening if trying to drive and make the radio work at the same time!!!!

Thought I'd seen a comment about this might damage the radio unit if its connected to a switch as opposed to the ignition. My 2013 LSV had the radio on a switch, loved that feature.

Pound
09-24-2018, 03:22 PM
I have a '16 Craz and did exactly that w/my Fusion HU. No issues whatsoever.
Not sure why they wire it to the key in the first place.

z28ke
09-24-2018, 03:28 PM
I did the same on my 18 Max, should have done it the first day of ownership!

zabooda
09-24-2018, 03:48 PM
I installed a SPDT switch just under the dash with switched power on one end and continuous power on the other so I could keep the depth finder and stereo running with the engine off and switch back to switched power when pulling the boat out. I boated on a river where the depths can vary when floating along.

rdlangston13
09-24-2018, 10:37 PM
I ran the turn on straight to the battery with the main power and just use the on off button on the head unit itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
09-24-2018, 11:25 PM
I ran the turn on straight to the battery with the main power and just use the on off button on the head unit itself.

Same here. I don't see a reason to go to an aux switch with the on/off button on the head unit.

hawgtitan
09-25-2018, 08:45 PM

That makes a lot of sense actually. If you can't remember to push the power button, then you're not gonna remember to flip a switch. On my 2016 Craz I can switch from on to accessory quick enough to keep it playing, but back over to start of course kills it.

rdlangston13
09-25-2018, 09:50 PM
Yeah, and typically if I ever am leaving the boat does significant amount of time I turn the batteries off anyways so draining the battery due to leaving it on is never really a concern to me.

moparsigfan
03-05-2019, 01:06 PM

Which battery did you hook the head unit up to? Assuming you are running a starter and a house battery?

Thanks

KG's Supra24
03-05-2019, 01:46 PM
House so it's with all the other radio components.

MLA
03-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Which battery did you hook the head unit up to?

Same one as the amps, which is likely NOT wired direct to a battery, but rather through the battery switch. Also, just note that the head unit circuit related to this thread, is not the one you are likely referring to.

rdlangston13
03-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Which battery did you hook the head unit up to? Assuming you are running a starter and a house battery?

Thanks

So I have my head unit power run to a buss bar which gets its power via the distribution block that also feeds my amp. That distribution block is wired to the common terminal of the dual battery switch. So all my electronics are run off whatever battery the switch is set on which in my scenario is my starting battery if the engine is own and we driving around and if we are parked with the engine off for an extended period of time then I flip everything to the house batteries.