PDA

View Full Version : Mondo throttle tension adjustment

justflyinglow
09-22-2018, 09:40 PM
New to the wakesurf boat world. Just got 2015 Mondo and the tension on the throttle is loose. So much that once you hit about 10 o'clock (looking at throttle) the weight of the handle will weigh the throttle down wanting it to accelerate. Just figure there has to be a way to tighten the throttle tension. Thanks in advance.

Stazi
09-23-2018, 09:15 AM
Look under the chrome ring around the throttle. I believe there is a set screw on the bottom you can tighten to adjust the tension

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Broke Pilot
09-23-2018, 09:23 PM
Hmmm... wonder if the same can be done to the Supra. Mine is the same, hit a bump and it’s off to the races if the speed control isn’t on lol

yearround
09-24-2018, 11:59 AM
this may be the greatest question asked! often have the same thing a broke pilot, i just always set the speed control. i will check this out.

Tylerrnemt
09-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Yep...set screw underneath...uses a hex allen wrench, but I don't remember what size exactly. I keep it in my glove box. However, mine is tightened as tight as I can get it and it still feels a little looser than I would like it. Doesn't fall on its own, but a big bump or an accidental slight bump from my leg and full throttle she goes.

-Tyler

justflyinglow
10-09-2018, 12:43 AM
I have tried to tighten set screw at rhe bottom of the throttle arm. it did not add any tension to the throttle movement. I did find this pic in my documents. I can't figure out where the figure is referring. the27757

justflyinglow
10-09-2018, 01:46 AM
I did decide for safety purposes to always turn on cruise control. i set it for around 25 mph and it acts like a governor in case i start porpoising. of course, a higher speed is always available for cruising with the simple push of a button.

justflyinglow
10-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Update

I called Seastar Solutions which is the manufacturer of the side mount hybrid engine control. Their tech support said that there is a set screw and wedge behind the control unit. He said to take off the handle(make sure you know the position for reinstalling) and remove the face plate and 4 mounting bolts. Behind it, there is the set screw and wedge to increase the throttle brake tension. Once again, here is a picture of the manual. Hope this helps. I will give update after I complete procedure. 27761

Stazi
10-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Nice info. Should make this a sticky thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stazi
10-13-2018, 02:51 PM
I just figured it out. You have to remove the throttle lever by loosening the Allen bolt on the bottom of it with a 1/8” Allen key, and unscrewing the small screw for the transmission lockout. Make sure you do this with the throttle in the vertical home position and down turn the lever as you pull it off! Then once the lever is off. You can use a bigger Allen key to slip onto the large hole and pop of the black bezel. You will then see the adjustment Allen key at the 9 o’clock position. You can right this with a 3/32” Allen key, but don’t make it too tight. Then reassemble.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181013/f12bf2253e56e33154023d2df5350ddb.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181013/875013ae64c8b84d9e4dc0a4c5549aa1.jpg

Broke Pilot
10-13-2018, 05:45 PM
Very nice! Too bad they didn’t put a hole in the bezel to reach in there and do that without disassembly! I know what I’m working on tonight.
Any idea how much you tightened it before you felt a difference?

Stazi
10-14-2018, 08:09 AM
I think I added a half turn.

justflyinglow
10-14-2018, 09:21 PM
Great post. Just to clarify, you start with shifter in neutral? After removing the set screw and center screw, you said to down turn the shifter as you take it off??? What does that mean? Did you leave it in neutral the whole time? Was it difficult to pop off the face plate? My fear would be to break the face plate. I could see problems if the shifter was not put back on in the same place. I am so glad there is a way to prevent the dreaded runaway throttle. Thanks again for the pics and post.

Stazi
10-15-2018, 06:29 AM
Start in neutral and DON’T turn the handle as you remove it!

Sorry. God damn autocorrect made dont into down.

justflyinglow
05-04-2019, 06:22 AM
Just wanted to say how huge of a difference this 10 minute adjustment made. Before, the weight of the throttle handle would be enough for a runaway throttle situation. Now, with the throttle tension tightened, it operates safely. Just wanted to bring this thread to life for anyone who hasn't seen it.

haknslash
05-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Just wanted to say how huge of a difference this 10 minute adjustment made. Before, the weight of the throttle handle would be enough for a runaway throttle situation. Now, with the throttle tension tightened, it operates safely. Just wanted to bring this thread to life for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Thanks for bumping the thread in case I ever need to do this with my Max. I noticed the throttle on these boats (Axis felt the same way) feels light with little resistance. My Yamaha would also go off to the races if I hit a wave hard enough and bumped the throttle. Good to know there is a tension adjustment in these boats and how to adjust it.

Rekab007
06-18-2022, 03:45 PM
Thank you for this post!!