PDA

View Full Version : Boat fenders

Callan84
09-14-2018, 08:42 PM
What does everyone recommend, the big round fenders or the flat hull huggers, have a 18 mojo. I had the flat hull huggers for a 08 mobius that I sold, and they worked great. The mojo is a larger boat and wasn’t sure which would be best.

Surf Wagon
09-14-2018, 08:46 PM
Hippie hop balls from exile audio

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Callan84
09-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Have you ever used the hull huggers

xjpeex
09-14-2018, 09:36 PM
Has any one got the ones from mission
They look really nice
https://www.missionboatgear.com/products/sentry-fenders?variant=947639615492&utm_campaign=gs-campaign-2018-07-10&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAjwuO3cBRAyEiwAzOxKsitwCWiGunLQpohUguL2 WHlqs67Yf3uJvURPdPjgsegAPk3y7jxyqhoCstoQAvD_BwE

Ryann
09-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Has any one got the ones from mission
They look really nice
https://www.missionboatgear.com/products/sentry-fenders?variant=947639615492&utm_campaign=gs-campaign-2018-07-10&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAjwuO3cBRAyEiwAzOxKsitwCWiGunLQpohUguL2 WHlqs67Yf3uJvURPdPjgsegAPk3y7jxyqhoCstoQAvD_BwE

Yep I like mine. I have a couple big balls too because I can deflate them. Full protection and no issues with the missions.

Callan84
09-14-2018, 10:39 PM
I just need them for when I dock at a Marina

Sp8
09-14-2018, 11:52 PM
I love my hopper balls. Amazon $13.99.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180915/393d55c9e53428a8cd2f6bb3c24b02ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moparsigfan
09-15-2018, 08:15 AM
My vote goes to the mission fenders

BroncoMabry
09-15-2018, 03:42 PM
I have the Mission’s & love them.

Isaguel
09-17-2018, 09:09 PM
I know my response is tangential to the thread topic, but, I wanted to ask if anyone has installed the Phender pro quick release fender pins as in the Nautique G23/25. Those things are sweet but seem expensive for what they are. I found them for about 95$ for the pin and receiver set. Seems awefully expensive for what is essentially a different approach to a cleat to attach the boat fenders . I'd like to install 3 on each side but $600, ouch.

TriumphA
09-17-2018, 11:14 PM
I have them on my Supra SL. Really makes things quick and easy at the dock - and saves room on your cleats. If you have “help” from a spouse or child it’s nice to know the fenders will always be secured properly vs just using the rope

zabooda
09-18-2018, 12:41 AM
I used these with no problems.

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Fender_Hangers-Seachoice_Stainless_Fender_Lock.html?gclid=Cj0KCQj wof3cBRD9ARIsAP8x70PFMqebQnQMjvAkxbJVK8oP7_4MsI58h fWryEwiktQJCkV8kpulECEaAiKjEALw_wcB

trayson
09-18-2018, 11:40 AM
So, I religiously use the Exile Buoy Balls. They are actually a thicker rubber than the kids hippity hops and they're designed to be soft and not scratch your gelcoat.

I have more of them than I even need and all of them put together take up the space of maybe 1 traditional fender when deflated. I use a loop of nylon webbing with sidebuckle clips to attach them and vary their length. I've found that what matters for me is keeping that physical distance between my boat and whatever I'm tied up to. With docks, I've had chop and rollers that rocked my boat so hard that I can guarantee I'd have had gelcoat damage with traditional fenders. Same with another boat in a tieup. The exile balls have protected 100%.

I inflate them with a 12v pump (the type that other people use for tubes). I even like the clever messages that are on some of my exile balls, "Bump your tunes, not my boat".

I only dock my boat when mooring it for camping or the rare tie-up/dock visit. for daily use, we just nose up to the dock to pickup or dropoff the driver of the tow rig.

Okay, 3 buoy balls is PLENTY, but I think I was bored and had extra ones for my camping trip! LOL
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/IMG_20160917_112543_zps52ci4zbg.jpg

DNIXD99
08-06-2020, 10:41 AM
I personally use Lets Tie Up balls, but regardless, I highly recommend the bigger fender balls. I wouldnt go with anything less than 15". Youll find that some people wont even tie up with you unless you have big fenders, and I dont blame them.

jnr4817
08-06-2020, 01:57 PM
Lets Tie Up for sure. We use 4, 2 per side, when tied up and haven't had an issue.

Prospersigman
08-08-2020, 12:35 AM
Mission bumpers are over priced, take up too much room in the boat and don't keep your boat far enough away from other boats if you tie up.

gtsum2
08-08-2020, 09:30 AM
For loading at a dock and fueling etc, the missions seem like the ticket don’t they? Not dealing with ropes and setting regular bumpers at correct height. We don’t tie up with other boats (we anchor when coving out)..we have the regular Taylor buoys and they are a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trace
08-10-2020, 03:31 PM
I run the 18"+ Hippity hops attached to Phender Pro plugs. Best fender setup I have ever used. They are fast as hell to deploy and remove and we never have to adjust them. I keep 2 inflated in the rear locker and 2 more deflated if need be. I've used hippity hops as fenders for over a decade and have never punctured one. They are nice and soft and won't scratch your boat.

haknslash
08-10-2020, 07:27 PM
For loading at a dock and fueling etc, the missions seem like the ticket don’t they? Not dealing with ropes and setting regular bumpers at correct height. We don’t tie up with other boats (we anchor when coving out)..we have the regular Taylor buoys and they are a pain

IMO Mission fenders don't offer a lot of protection, especially if it's rough or tying up to other boats. The whole point of a fender is to create space and keep your boat at a safe distance from other things like the dock or other boats. When you look at a Mission fender it looks no more thick than a traditional cylindrical 6-8" fender so I don't see how it offers any additional protection. If you want to create the most distance and safest means of protecting your boat I'd switch to ball fenders like the Exile, LetsTieUp or the kids hippity hop balls.

https://i.imgur.com/Nx7FCHe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RM8wm0C.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8HaX7jx.jpg

gtsum2
08-10-2020, 07:39 PM
IMO Mission fenders don't offer a lot of protection, especially if it's rough or tying up to other boats. The whole point of a fender is to create space and keep your boat at a safe distance from other things like the dock or other boats. When you look at a Mission fender it looks no more thick than a traditional cylindrical 6-8" fender so I don't see how it offers any additional protection. If you want to create the most distance and safest means of protecting your boat I'd switch to ball fenders like the Exile, LetsTieUp or the kids hippity hop balls.

https://i.imgur.com/Nx7FCHe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RM8wm0C.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8HaX7jx.jpg

We don’t tie up with other boats (we anchor when chilling) and I was just wondering best option for tying up quickly to the gas docks etc. I don’t want to mess with inflating and deflating things when I have a boat full of kids:).

If I had a private boat dock of my own, I can see using those balls as they would just hang off the dock...I thought the missions would be easier to hang off a cleat vs our traditional cylinder buoys with rope attached...sometimes they are hung too high and other times too low by the kids...seems the missions would just hang there and protect high up and over and below the rub line? But they do seem a bit thin like you said

haknslash
08-10-2020, 09:29 PM
We don’t tie up with other boats (we anchor when chilling) and I was just wondering best option for tying up quickly to the gas docks etc. I don’t want to mess with inflating and deflating things when I have a boat full of kids:).

If I had a private boat dock of my own, I can see using those balls as they would just hang off the dock...I thought the missions would be easier to hang off a cleat vs our traditional cylinder buoys with rope attached...sometimes they are hung too high and other times too low by the kids...seems the missions would just hang there and protect high up and over and below the rub line? But they do seem a bit thin like you said

We rarely tie up with other boats too since I had tower damage on my last boat from board racks slamming into it thanks to a guy pulling tubes into a cove filled with anchored boats...

https://i.imgur.com/roqK6wD.jpg

That being said I now have proper fenders to use that would give me and the boat next to me enough room to safely tie up should I ever need or want to tie up with someone.

I don't deflate and inflate the balls. I inflate them at the beginning of the season and deflate them when I put the boat away for winter. The rest of the time during the season they are inflated and in my rear lockers. Like trace mentioned for their boat, I keep two of them always inflated and have two others as a spare or if I need more. I always carry a few traditional fenders for times stowed in the helm where there may be times stiff wind or waves may cause my boat to pivot whatever I'm tied up to and I will throw a traditional fender in the middle of the boat tied off from the tower but those times are rarely needed because the large balls offer a ton of protection and spacing from docks, boats, etc. It takes up no time to deploy the fenders as I tied bungee dock lines to them creating a "short side" which goes closest to the boat/cleat and the "long side" is used for the dock pylon or cleat. Works great and the only thing I can think of that would be faster would be those awesome Phender Pro fittings.

As for the Missions the reviews seem hit or miss, literally. I'm not sure how the newer ones do but I know early on many people said they would not stay in place and would eventually fall down or off the clear entirely. Do they look stylish? Sure. Do they look to offer a lot of protection or any more than those old school "contour fender huggers"? https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41bJIAI9xaL._AC_.jpg Not really IMO. To me they are just overpriced for very minimal protection.

You pay big money for these boats and you want them looking nice for as long as possible. Why risk it for something that doesn't look like it would be ideal for a typical day of boating? Maybe the lakes you're on don't get busy or have swells, rollers and heavy chop but mine does, especially this year with all the extra new boaters since COVID. Lastly as mentioned, even without the large diameter giving you spacing, the balls will not mar up your gel coat like a plastic fender will so long as the ball is clean. We just got back from a week vacation on a big water portion of our lake with lots of boat traffic. Not a single mar on my gelcoat. Had this been a traditional plastic fender I would have certainly been having to remove the marks and scuffs from a traditional fender. Been there and done that on a white hull....no thanks!

Arcadyus
08-11-2020, 04:24 PM

You don't have to deflate shit. Our babz balls (best ball fender made) fit fully inflated under the glover box. Or tie them off of the tower. Mission fenders don't work great with high freeboard on rough docks. We use rubber wire ties, they are fast and easy on your clear coat.

gtsum2
08-11-2020, 08:43 PM
You don't have to deflate shit. Our babz balls (best ball fender made) fit fully inflated under the glover box. Or tie them off of the tower. Mission fenders don't work great with high freeboard on rough docks. We use rubber wire ties, they are fast and easy on your clear coat.

Good to know...never thought of tying off to tower. Thanks!

DDD123
04-14-2021, 09:06 PM
Babz are so clutch and the best purchase I’ve ever made for a boat on my lake which gets pretty gnarly with wind and a lot of boats. People comment all the time how great they are when they see them. Super impressed, glad I read this thread!

Bigs28
07-10-2021, 01:28 PM
Lets tie up big Bertha

jnr4817
07-11-2021, 09:47 AM
We use the LTU balls every boating session. Worth every penny.

Holdmybeer
07-11-2021, 12:57 PM
No photos to share but have been using the Berthas all summer. Been tied to other moombas, tooners, etc. they work grest. The bungies are clutch.

DDD123
07-11-2021, 01:05 PM
No photos to share but have been using the Berthas all summer. Been tied to other moombas, tooners, etc. they work grest. The bungies are clutch.

What does everyone like about the bungies out of curiosity? They always frustrated me because different docks have different cleat locations and they also felt less secure since they stretch. I’m on a really choppy lake though in areas where you actually have to tie up.

Holdmybeer
07-11-2021, 01:12 PM
What does everyone like about the bungies out of curiosity? They always frustrated me because different docks have different cleat locations and they also felt less secure since they stretch. I’m on a really choppy lake though in areas where you actually have to tie up.

We pull tight and actually smash the balls slightly then bungee together. Then the balls force the bungee to stretch out and keep the boats 2ft+ apart. When chop or random wave comes through the swim area, the bungee will stretch up and down, balls keep the 2ft distance and nothing ever hits. For docks I put balls on both sides and then bungee on both sides of the slip. It's like having the boat suspended between and not touching anything. Docknis floating though and moves with the waves not solid.

DDD123
07-11-2021, 01:24 PM
We pull tight and actually smash the balls slightly then bungee together. Then the balls force the bungee to stretch out and keep the boats 2ft+ apart. When chop or random wave comes through the swim area, the bungee will stretch up and down, balls keep the 2ft distance and nothing ever hits. For docks I put balls on both sides and then bungee on both sides of the slip. It's like having the boat suspended between and not touching anything. Docknis floating though and moves with the waves not solid.

Ahh yeah tying up boats does seem like a great idea for them. Only downside to the balls I’ve seen so far is storage. It’s annoying inflating and deflating them so i usually just leave them on the side while surfing.

Holdmybeer
07-11-2021, 07:02 PM
Yeah...I keep the pump on board. The kit came with it and the storage bag.
I only inflate when I know other will be at the lake to tie up. Otherwise we don't use them. The days we do inflate them I hang them off the upper ski rack I made.

If you have side pulls on that SE you could hang them there and keep them outside why surfing. Mine would drag the water the whole time if I left them out.

DDD123
07-12-2021, 07:37 AM
Yeah...I keep the pump on board. The kit came with it and the storage bag.
I only inflate when I know other will be at the lake to tie up. Otherwise we don't use them. The days we do inflate them I hang them off the upper ski rack I made.

If you have side pulls on that SE you could hang them there and keep them outside why surfing. Mine would drag the water the whole time if I left them out.

Yeah i have the phender clips so that’s where i keep them most times. They will bounce around at high speed cruise across lake and get people wet sometimes but sitting surfing it’s great. I need to find a place to put them during cruise.

Holdmybeer
07-12-2021, 07:55 AM
Yeah i have the phender clips so that’s where i keep them most times. They will bounce around at high speed cruise across lake and get people wet sometimes but sitting surfing it’s great. I need to find a place to put them during cruise.

How strong are those Phender Pro clips? My Mojo does not have front cleats, and I am too damn short to reach the bow hook for anchoring. Think the Phender would hold enough while we swim and goof of in the no wake area?
It would be nice to install something that looks like it is suppose to be there then try to install some weird pop-up cleat that doesn't match.
Drilling a 3/4" hole in the side of my boat 4 times, might be the hardest part for me though.

larry_arizona
07-12-2021, 07:56 AM
How strong are those Phender Pro clips? My Mojo does not have front cleats, and I am too damn short to reach the bow hook for anchoring. Think the Phender would hold enough while we swim and goof of in the no wake area?
It would be nice to install something that looks like it is suppose to be there then try to install some weird pop-up cleat that doesn't match.
Drilling a 3/4" hole in the side of my boat 4 times, might be the hardest part for me though.

They are fairly robust, but I would not try to anchor with one.

Holdmybeer
07-12-2021, 08:22 AM
They are fairly robust, but I would not try to anchor with one.

Good to know.
I was just reading the website and being quick disconnect, I agree, not anchor material.

WakeSurf22
07-13-2021, 04:33 PM
Hi all,
Looking for feedback and comments on our new NautiFender Flat Fenders. We've been working on developing a fender that didn't ride up on the dock or boat, stowed easily and had some style vs the traditional round fenders. We designed the fender to conform to the boat hull and easily attach to cleats, wakeboard towers, docks and pipes. I've attached some photos and more info can be found at Nauticurl.com (https://nauticurl.com/products/nautifender-flat-boat-fender) Thanks and hope you're all enjoying your summer! Cheers!

SONIC
07-13-2021, 08:04 PM
Hi all,
Looking for feedback and comments on our new NautiFender Flat Fenders. We've been working on developing a fender that didn't ride up on the dock or boat, stowed easily and had some style vs the traditional round fenders. We designed the fender to conform to the boat hull and easily attach to cleats, wakeboard towers, docks and pipes. I've attached some photos and more info can be found at Nauticurl.com (https://nauticurl.com/products/nautifender-flat-boat-fender) Thanks and hope you're all enjoying your summer! Cheers!

I like the ideal but IMO they need to be thicker.
The boat in the photos has a fairly flat hull side so it's likely not an issue, but my SA has some curves to it so you'd have to be pretty careful where the thin fender went so as not to hit the dock.

See image attached.
If you put the thin fenders on the red arrows you'd likely end up hitting the dock on the blue arrows. The thicker fenders give you more leeway on where you can put them IMO.
Not an issue if you pay attention but I sometimes have other people throw out the bumpers and wouldn't want to have to worry about them being in the wrong place.

They look great for dock post bumpers though.

larry_arizona
07-13-2021, 08:25 PM
Agree on the SA, I need a much thicker bumper so when I dock at public launches the boat doesn’t hit dock pylons.

DDD123
07-13-2021, 09:26 PM
Hi all,

Yeah the appeal for me and that of other people, it appears, who have recommended the Babz balls to me is the distance that it creates from objects. I am on a lake with quite a bit of chop and waves and when the boat pulls from the dock and then jams the dock on the rebound you need distance. It is a great idea but it is one of the reasons so many people talked me out of Mission Sentry fenders when I was first looking into this.

WakeSurf22
07-14-2021, 10:46 AM
Hey guys!
Appreciate the feedback on the NautiFender, good point on fender location due to the curve of the gunwale and cleat locations on the boat (like on the SA). We were considering a prototype roughly twice the thickness with the thought it would provide that further protection, but would still have the functionality and style, so your feedback makes looking into the thickness a no-brainer.

Thanks much for the feedback and we're excited to hear about the true performance as they flow into the market.

The babz are great for tying up, and we just partnered with FatSac to develop the NautiBumper (https://nauticurl.com/products/nautibumper-boat-bumper-party-fender) that is fairly similar in concept, but made from durable FatSac material and more of a cylinder than round. Few photos below.

Cheers and thanks again!
Jon

SONIC
07-14-2021, 10:52 AM
Hey guys!
Appreciate the feedback on the NautiFender, good point on fender location due to the curve of the gunwale and cleat locations on the boat (like on the SA). We were considering a prototype roughly twice the thickness with the thought it would provide that further protection, but would still have the functionality and style, so your feedback makes looking into the thickness a no-brainer.

Thanks much for the feedback and we're excited to hear about the true performance as they flow into the market.

The babz are great for tying up, and we just partnered with FatSac to develop the NautiBumper (https://nauticurl.com/products/nautibumper-boat-bumper-party-fender) that is fairly similar in concept, but made from durable FatSac material and more of a cylinder than round. Few photos below.

Cheers and thanks again!
Jon

Now that I like.

My $.02 take it or leave it:
I would love to see the design of your top bumpers but in a flexible rubber inflatable version. Say 24(tall) x 12 (wide) x10 (thick)
Basically babz or similar that are not round but rectangular so they sit against the boat and don't roll around.
Right now I use actual inflatable buoys as bumpers and they work great but they are very large and bulky and take up most of a rear locker.

larry_arizona
07-14-2021, 10:55 AM
Your party bumpers look awesome for tie ups.

But this is the scenario I need a thick bumper for....
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210714/917951321d83830cad0c08d9e50c3c05.jpg

I need a bumper that touches the dock but is thick enough to keep rub rail off the pylons.

Buoy balls work, but won’t clear the guide poles on the trailer. I know, first world problems.

TXSurf4
07-14-2021, 11:00 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210714/917951321d83830cad0c08d9e50c3c05.jpg

I need a bumper that touches the dock but is thick enough to keep rub rail off the pylons.

Buoy balls work, but won’t clear the guide poles on the trailer. I know, first world problems.

That is a bummer to have to deal with and a very poor design for a boat dock IMO. I can see why you need the buoy balls.

larry_arizona
07-14-2021, 11:12 AM
That is a bummer to have to deal with and a very poor design for a boat dock IMO. I can see why you need the buoy balls.

It doesn’t hurt the rub rail, it’s only there for the 3 min I launch and 3 min to retrieve.

Some will throw their sentry missions onto the dock pylons.

Typically my son will just hold it away from touching pylons as I grab the truck

TXSurf4
07-14-2021, 11:26 AM
It doesn’t hurt the rub rail, it’s only there for the 3 min I launch and 3 min to retrieve.

Some will throw their sentry missions onto the dock pylons.

Typically my son will just hold it away from touching pylons as I grab the truck

I see. It is still just a lazy design when they could have easily put the 2x6 or 2x12 on the outside of the piling and made it a smooth surface to dock against.

larry_arizona
07-14-2021, 11:28 AM
I see. It is still just a lazy design when they could have easily put the 2x6 or 2x12 on the outside of the piling and made it a smooth surface to dock against.

Absolutely. Other ramps we use have rubber bumpers on the exposed pylons, but there is no consistency on Michigan dock designs LOL.

sandm
07-14-2021, 11:37 AM

gotta be honest larry. when I first saw this I thought you were talking larger balls to keep away from the pda happening on the end of the dock :)

larry_arizona
07-14-2021, 11:39 AM
gotta be honest larry. when I first saw this I thought you were talking larger balls to keep away from the pda happening on the end of the dock :)

Hilarious, but I borrowed that picture of some random people at the end of the dock from the launch website......lol

They look a little goth for boating LOL

sandm
07-14-2021, 12:31 PM
Hilarious, but I borrowed that picture of some random people at the end of the dock from the launch website......lol

They look a little goth for boating LOL

you could get the same pic idea from the supra teaser that dropped. same setup as that boat leaves the lift. ironic...

WakeSurf22
07-15-2021, 10:26 AM
Lol! Yeah that dock is tough, even traditional cylinder fenders wouldn't do the trick! Our launch is similar, but has large 4" diameter steel poles, what a mess!

Say, we'd love some tangible feedback, for anyone interested in giving them a shot and posting their feedback on style, versatility, ease of stow and protection, we'd offer 20% off the NautiFender (https://nauticurl.com/products/nautifender-flat-boat-fender) with code: TRYNAUTIFENDER

Few more photos below in a couple other scenarios.
Cheers!

sandm
07-15-2021, 11:56 AM
Say, we'd love some tangible feedback, for anyone interested in giving them a shot and posting their feedback on style, versatility, ease of stow and protection, we'd offer 20% off the NautiFender (https://nauticurl.com/products/nautifender-flat-boat-fender) with code: TRYNAUTIFENDER

advertising from vendors is a no no on here just an fyi.

that said those are the same concept as hull huggers at 4x the monies. I've used hull huggers once and I'd pass EVERY TIME. not thick enough to do the job.

DDD123
07-18-2021, 05:59 PM
Hey guys!

Cheers and thanks again!
Jon

I would make them foldable if you do the ones that are thicker. I do hate deflating the babz which is why i just leave them on side of boat.