PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Impeller questions...

jared24
09-13-2018, 12:59 PM
So of course this happens on our week vacay but, had the front ballast stop working early in the week and now the port rear is doing the same. Both pumps are significantly quieter compared to the other rear that's still working. I'm assuming it's the impeller.

How much do they run and how easy is it to do yourself? Any help is greatly appreciated! 17 Craz for reference. Thanks!

tre
09-13-2018, 01:14 PM
I assume you have the Jabsco ballast puppy pumps. Each impeller is about $35 if you get the full kit with O ring. They are super easy to replace. Simply unscrew 3 screws to remove the pump cover and the impeller is right there. simply pull it out and replace it. change the O ring on the top of the pump and put the cover back on. use the included lube on the o-ring and impeller to make the install easier. Here is a link to buy the impeller on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I1RQQS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Make sure you have the ballast puppy or ballast king before ordering (simply look at the label on your pumps). They use different impellers. I generally have to replace the impellers every year. They wear fast and cause the pumps to slow or turn off intermittently. They always work perfectly after an impeller change.

jared24
09-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. They do say Puppy on the pumps. Any stores have these in stock so I might can save the rest of our trip?

tre
09-13-2018, 02:49 PM
I don't know of any stores that stock this but any inboard dealer will have them. Mastercraft, Nautique, etc all use the same Jabsco ballast puppy pumps. Look for just about any inboard dealer near you and they will have the ballast puppy impeller in stock. Make sure you get the green impeller as it is the newest. The older ones were yellow or black and you don't want those. If you can't find an inboard dealer near you, order from amazon and pay for overnight shipping. You can also order from WakeMakers and pay for overnight shipping:
https://www.wakemakers.com/jabsco-ballast-puppy-pump-service-kit.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwlejcBRAdEiwAAbj6KRBM5mzg_nk-mF1ZE3RuKtgp_P0y81qKY2-QxBLEIGIhnEEhh0EKmhoCUQYQAvD_BwE

MJHSupra
09-14-2018, 03:00 PM
^^^^^ What this post says with any IB dealer. Call.

Amazon Prime . . .

jared24
09-20-2018, 01:39 PM
I snagged some form the ATL dealer. Although Amazon is WAY cheaper so if you can wait a couple days, order online. Installed easily and we're pumping water again. Thanks for the help!

strato
10-04-2018, 11:25 AM
so you change these attached to the boat? On my 2004 Mobius (21') it's really tight in there.

gregski
10-04-2018, 03:20 PM
You might be thinking of something different. Impeller style pumps for ballast were not used until newer models. Unless you or PO installed them, the factor ballast system in '04 was based on a centrifugal style pump (no impeller). So is your question about the factory ballast pump in an '04 or the impeller of your raw water pump? I'd recommend starting a new thread so as not to hijack this one.

strato
10-09-2018, 10:54 AM
whoops, sorry about that.