PDA

View Full Version : Surf Board Characteristics

Mondo Ken
09-10-2018, 07:20 AM
Morning All,

My boys started surfing 3 seasons ago behind my first Moomba. At the time I didn't know much about surf boards or if they would surf on a regular basis so I purchased a Airhead Pfish (no laughing) as a starter board and they are still using it now. I would say both of the boys are now intermediate surfers; moving from the front to back of the wave and vice versa, carving and some 360's (not consistently). I picked up a used, older 4'6" Liquid Force board (sorry I don't know the name of it) with 1 fin on it, very light and thicker compared to the Airhead, but when the boys try it they say that it is 'slippery' and choose to stick with the Airhead.

I've seen a lot of 'What is the best board for me?' threads on here and FB...... but what I would like to know is what the advantages/disadvantages of each of the different characteristics of a board:

~ skim vs. surf vs. hybrid
~ thick vs. thin
~ shorter vs. longer
~ lighter vs. heavier
~ 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 fins
~ short fins vs. long fins
~ pointed nose vs. blunt nose
~ pointed tail vs. blunt tail
~ fast board
~ slower board

Sorry for all the questions, but demoing a board where I am in Ontario Canada isn't as easy as it sounds as the two board retailers closest to my cottage are over an hour away and their board selections are limited. I know it is time for me to invest in a better board, but I would prefer to have some knowledge when I purchase a new board especially if I order one from the US.

My boys are 19 & 16, 5'9" & 5'11" and both around 165 lb.

Your help and insight is much appreciated!