PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a new boat..

jason1973
09-05-2018, 05:30 PM
guys, i am looking at the Mondo and the Axis A20. We are mainly surfers at this point and wakeboarding is a distant 2nd. I currently have a mastercraft and want to get into a new boat.

Can you give me your opinions on on the Mondo? is it a quality boat, more so than the Axis? will it produce a good surf wake so i can finally surf without a rope?

looking for real world opinions. Its between these 2 right now. they are only $90 difference in price.

stevemarich
09-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Can't help you with the Axis, but have gotten to ride behind Shoeboxe's 15 Mondo, slightly modified ,and it throws a legit wave, a new one with surf plates from the factory and autowake, I think would be comparable as well. And getting to drive it a little, it feels pretty solid, not much difference between it and my 17 Craz as far as wave goes with similar ballast weights, and drivability. I still prefer the Craz just being a longer boat, but the Mondo is good bang for the buck, and very surf-able

padge
09-05-2018, 07:45 PM
You don’t hear much on the A20. The mondo will be a lot better fit and finish. And I’ve heard a lot of good things about the surf wave. I’d opt for the mondo if it were me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pat6969
09-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Mondo wave is legit. I threw in 1100 lb bags in the back corners of my '15 and that's it, stock 1000 front. Manual flow, 4 in the boat, I'm 225 (6' tall) and have a pocket from behind the swim platform to about 12-13 feet back to play around in. I'm not that good yet but it's getting to be fun. Push is not an issue in the least and the wave gets massive when I have 10 in the boat.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=zeN9bXu-5rw

Shoebox
09-05-2018, 09:24 PM
guys, i am looking at the Mondo and the Axis A20. We are mainly surfers at this point and wakeboarding is a distant 2nd. I currently have a mastercraft and want to get into a new boat.

Can you give me your opinions on on the Mondo? is it a quality boat, more so than the Axis? will it produce a good surf wake so i can finally surf without a rope?

looking for real world opinions. Its between these 2 right now. they are only $90 difference in price.Has the A20 hull changed over the years? My neighbor has a 2013 A20, and my 2014 Mondo wave is far, far better. Of course, that's comparing both boats with Nauticurl, not with Surf Gate and Autoflow, but still. The Mondo hull is much deeper.

jason1973
09-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Think a Mondo would have a better surf wave than the Axis? And the comment above is accurate. Looks like the Axis bow is really high during surf. But aren't they all?

DFTR Josh
09-06-2018, 10:04 AM
This is a good comparison between boats and I think a demo on both is in order. From experience the fit and finish of the Moomba will beat the Axis by far. When you look at options both boats have stepped up but again with Autowake, Gatorstep, Wetsounds, and surf pipe Moomba wins again. The wakes are comparable if you have the right person that knows both and how to weight them. My vote is Moomba Mondo by far...

jason1973
09-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Seems as if surfgate on the Axis doesn't need as much ballast from what i am being told. I am leaning Moomba right now, but if i need to put 2000lbs of water aboard to get it to surf, then the surf system doesn't seem legit. Comments?

dakota4ce
09-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Fake news. Displacement is required everywhere. The Malibu we ride takes actually more weight to work well—needs it in the bow.

Whoever is propagating that doesn’t fully understand how waves are made.

jason1973
09-07-2018, 10:24 AM
One of the guys at the dealer who sells boards and accessories. Said the Axis will need less ballast. in fact he said just go with stock and that surf gate is a far better system since it pushed out and not down.

This is my first surf boat so looking for opinions. All of the dealers are saying "theirs is the best".. This is a boat i will have for a long time so want to make the right decision.

KG's Supra24
09-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Pumping water ballast into the boat is part of the game .... you will do it on every boat. The surf systems are designed to utilize the weight.

Have you sat in both boats? I'd think you would be surprised they are only $90 different.

KnoxMojo
09-07-2018, 10:48 AM
You buy an A20 and try to surf it stock without plug and play, you better invite 10 people out every time or you're going to be really disappointed with the wave. Go demo them. You really need to

jason1973
09-07-2018, 11:40 AM
so what your saying is, i buy the mondo and i won't be disappointed with its surf capabilities? buying a 2019

padge
09-07-2018, 12:01 PM
I think any boat needs more weight than stock in my opinion. Especially to reach full potential. You may be able to surf directly behind the swim platform, but to me that’s not what I want. I want the biggest wave I can get

Shoebox
09-07-2018, 12:10 PM
so what your saying is, i buy the mondo and i won't be disappointed with its surf capabilities? buying a 2019Do you have friends with surf boats? If so, they should have a tsunami pump and a couple of spare ballast bags. Borrow those, and go test surf both boats with the extra ballast. Or take 5 friends with you. A surf test with stock ballast honestly will not tell you much, but you need to surf both boats.

jason1973
09-07-2018, 12:44 PM
are you guys saying "surf both" because you believe the Mondo will be better? I will buy as much ballast as it needs, just want to make sure i buy the boat with the best system.

dakota4ce
09-07-2018, 01:03 PM
One of the guys at the dealer who sells boards and accessories. Said the Axis will need less ballast. in fact he said just go with stock and that surf gate is a far better system since it pushed out and not down.

This is my first surf boat so looking for opinions. All of the dealers are saying "theirs is the best".. This is a boat i will have for a long time so want to make the right decision.

Yep. He should stick to selling boards and accessories. He speaks jibberish on this subject! 🤣

dakota4ce
09-07-2018, 01:05 PM
are you guys saying "surf both" because you believe the Mondo will be better? I will buy as much ballast as it needs, just want to make sure i buy the boat with the best system.

Go on a demo ride and pick the boat that you are more comfortable with because they can both be made to surf really well. Neither of them is going to surf really well in stock form. That is a fact that will be true for every boat you look at. So get the one that drives nicest feels nicest and trips your trigger.

Shoebox
09-07-2018, 01:10 PM
This!!! ^^^

schwan
09-08-2018, 06:42 AM
Funny, I just did demos with a new axis t22 and a moomba max this week. Boat was full of people on the axis and empty with the max, so not an awesome comparison, but definitely made me feel like you need the extra weight in the boat for a wave. Also, even with this difference in weight, I still felt like the max wave was 90% of the axis, that sold me, we're ordering a 19 max!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk