PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Moomba mobius LS/SK.. is it worth it?

Jdscott512
09-04-2018, 07:29 PM
Hi guys,

Im new to the forum as i am looking at a 08 moomba mobius and want to know what you guys think. This will be my first boat and i love how this boat looks! they want $25,500 for it but i talked them down to $24k... its got 507 hours on the original engine and the boat it self is is great condition. is this boat worth this much? i could have already bought it but im putting a hold on it as i dont want to make a stupid purchase just because i like the boat :confused::confused:..

Thank you guys for all your input!

325 hp
Bimini Top
Boat Cover - 20 ft. thru 25 ft.
Bluetooth Stereo
Batteries - Dual w/Switch
Swim Step - Fiberglass
Cruise Control
Fat Sacks - 2 (250 lbs)
Wake-Board Rack
Surf Board Rack
Wake-Board Tower
Wake-Board Tower Lights
Wake-Board Tower Speakers
Water Ballast System

z28ke
09-04-2018, 07:38 PM
You are in v-drive territory in the mid 20’s. To me a direct drive isn’t worth anywhere close to that these days.

Stazi
09-04-2018, 07:58 PM
Sort of agree. That not looks clean and it isn’t priced ridiculously, but I would go for a v-drive if all you want to do is surf or wakeboard. If skiing is a big priority get the direct drive LS. If skiing isn’t even on the radar skip the direct drive......seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zabooda
09-04-2018, 07:59 PM
It looks favorable to the NADA price.

996scott
09-04-2018, 08:04 PM
the real question is are you wanting a direct drive or a v drive? If you plan on doing mostly skiing then a direct drive is for you. If you want more room, better boat for surfing and all around use, then a v drive is what you want. I don't know what direct drives are going for these days but for upper 20's you could find a nice Mobius LSV v drive.

parrothd
09-04-2018, 08:48 PM
Unless you're a die hard skier skip it and get a v-drive.

The direct drive models are good for sking and not much else. If you want to entertain(that engine hump takes up a lot of room), wakeboard/surf you want the v-drive.

Jdscott512
09-05-2018, 06:32 AM
What do you guys think about 507 hours? Is that a lot of hours ?

parrothd
09-05-2018, 08:50 AM
What do you guys think about 507 hours? Is that a lot of hours ?

Not really, just depends on if the boat was taken care of. From the picks it looks good. You can get a vdrive for that price, direct drives should be around d high teens.

parrothd
09-05-2018, 08:54 AM
Sorry if we're all being negative towards the direct drive version, but unless your a die hard skier you'll want a vdrive drive.

What are you going to use the boat for?

zabooda
09-05-2018, 10:32 AM
I agree with others that the only way to wake surf is behind a V drive because of the freeboard and the storage areas for bags. The prices of DDs surprised me when I sold my boat in May and saw a dramatic increase in price since five years ago. In my earlier post, when I mentioned the price was within the NADA price I didn't say it was actually at the low end so not to upset our V drive brothers who for years have known the DDs were much cheaper both new and used than V drives. I don't have a reason for the price changes except maybe supply and demand or a possible resurgence of water skiing (maybe I can sell my comp ski). I sold my 1998 boat priced in the upper teens for the same price I bought it 16 years ago and I had four other people all more than 200 miles away interested in it. I thought the pricing for DDs was rather strange until I priced this boat. With that said, if I had a V drive boat I would still have it as I see surfing as an old man's alternative to skiing but when I bought my boat wake boarding was just taking off and I had to tell others that what I have on my boat is not a roll bar.

Jdscott512
09-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Sorry if we're all being negative towards the direct drive version, but unless your a die hard skier you'll want a vdrive drive.

What are you going to use the boat for?

Thank you all for your responses! And no worries I would rather get the truth. Wakeboarding and surfing/family boat. I just cant find any v drives for around this price :mad:

mgswake
09-05-2018, 06:39 PM
https://www.onlyinboards.com/2005-Moomba-Mobius-LSV-for-sale-Fox-River-Grove-Illinois-86927.aspx

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2005-Moomba-Mobius-LSV-for-sale-Crystal-Springs-Mississippi-85340.aspx

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2006-Moomba-LSV-for-sale-Crystal-Minnesota-86251.aspx

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2007-Moomba-Mobius-LSV-for-sale-Grand-Rapids-Michigan-86507.aspx

Just a few examples, you can always add ballast, perfect pass, stereo stuff later. A lot of people do these things themselves and there are plenty of how to threads on here. I have been on DD boats and the engine in the middle alone is enough for me to get a Vidrine regardless of sport. It just takes up a lot of room. I would go drive unless competitively skiing.

kaneboats
09-06-2018, 02:45 PM
I would wait about a month and find an LSV 2006 or newer. Cash talks when it starts getting cold out.

Stazi
09-06-2018, 03:08 PM
I would wait about a month and find an LSV 2006 or newer. Cash talks when it starts getting cold out.

Word!

Don’t settle for a DD if you don’t ever ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edadams1
02-22-2021, 10:24 PM
I know this is an old thread but I am looking at a 2008 Mobius LS with a 190 hours. It does have perfect pass, but no real other options. We are at$26K on the price. The reason I am looking at the LS instead of the LSV is that my wife and I both still enjoy slalom skiing and the kids want to enjoy some of the other activities. What are your thoughts? Good deal or should we hold out for something else?

Thanks in advance

Ed

sandm
02-22-2021, 10:32 PM
sounds like a good deal but I'd ask yourself what do you envision yourself doing longer term.
the ls will be a fantastic ski machine and able to pull a tube great but surfing it will be lacking and betting frustrating to find a decent wave and wakeboarding it'll be so-so. not sure on kids ages but as soon as they start to bring friends if they are not grown/out of the house, a dd will feel too cramped/small even when compared to same size vdrive.

if it was me I'd look for one of the mid00's vdrives. they will have a better ski wake than a lot of the surf barges being sold today but still able to get a decent surf/wakeboard wave out of it. think lsv.

Edadams1
02-22-2021, 11:06 PM
Thank you for the information. Kinds are in college and we are bribing them to hang out with us old parents. We currently have a 1997 Ski Nautique with a great slalom wake. Really looking for something that we can enjoy as a family. The idea of being able to have more than six in the boat is very appealing. We have tried to surf behind the Nautique, but it was not made for that type of fun. So any wake will be an improvement. I get that unless you only do one thing behind the boat everything else is a compromise. Just not sure how far I want to lean to the wakesurf side.

996scott
02-22-2021, 11:22 PM
if I were you i would definitely lean toward the wakesurf side. I love to ski and do every time i can find some good water, but 80% or more of our time is spent surfing, wakeboarding, etc. If you have kids and they want to invite a few friends, i can almost promise you that the majority of your time will be surfing. Like Sandm said, get a LSV and you can do everything pretty well.

Edadams1
02-22-2021, 11:42 PM
Having trouble finding a LSV that’s as clean and low hours as the one I found for $26K

996scott
02-23-2021, 12:46 AM
yea, boats are a hot commodity right now. Be patient and keep looking around, you will find one. You may have to pay a bit more for in now unfortunately.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-Moomba-Mobius-LSV-Turnkey-Boat--for-sale-Grass-Lake-Michigan-119818.aspx

Edadams1
02-23-2021, 01:16 AM
Great looking boat, I just can’t justify $9K more.

MJHSupra
02-23-2021, 04:56 PM
I would get a v-drive just to have more room in the boat.

Branden967
02-23-2021, 05:48 PM
I would get a v-drive just to have more room in the boat.

I agree. Sort of a hard time to find anything V-drive related... Its a good time buy, Id broaden your search area and keep looking. Unless you really like to slalom ski?

Edadams1
02-23-2021, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys, I do really like to ski. We went ahead and pulled the trigger on the LS.

Isaguel
02-24-2021, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys, I do really like to ski. We went ahead and pulled the trigger on the LS.

Congrats and enjoy the new boat. Stick around, there's lots of good info and guys with experience to help along if you run into any trouble's with the boat.
Oh, and as someone said here, post pics or it never happened!

yearround
02-24-2021, 02:27 PM

Hey Ed!

Now i may be a bit jealous that you get the LS. I love to ski! and the LS was a pretty good boat to ski behind. i usually get my ski fix behind my buddy's prostar. We had an 08 LSV for ever and totally loved it, now in a Mondo and very happy still. but the wake is a bit too big to ski very hard.

Send up a pic of this low hour ride (do i remember right it is about 190?) that you get to enjoy now!

Edadams1
02-24-2021, 08:42 PM
Thanks guys for making me feel so welcome. Attached are two pictures. You are welcome to come and join me for so slalom skiing anytime. Or better yet just buy my ‘97 Nautique :-D.

I live in Colorado and the boat is in Michigan so we have a road trip ahead of us. Since I have the road trip I need to get a spare. The wheel is a 15 inch six lug, but I don’t know the spacing between the lugs. Anybody have the answer? Also would like to get a nice affordable bimini that attaches to the tower and some wakeboard racks. Any leads would be much appreciated. 29443[/ATTACH[ATTACH=CONFIG]29443]

sandm
02-25-2021, 09:10 PM
good lookin boat. love the blue....

guessing it looks to be a boatmate trailer. call them with the vin off the trailer and they should be able to give you the info but it looks like a pretty common wheel.
ebay/amazon for boardracks. measure tower diameter and they clamp.
bimini once you know the tower name- looks like a rad-a-cage but pic is kinda small- then call a few of the bimini suppliers. try these guys as they were making them back in the day for moomba https://towerbiminis.com/

Edadams1
02-25-2021, 10:46 PM
Thanks Sandm!

sandm
02-26-2021, 12:02 AM
I should retract towerbimini. they didn't make them for moomba but did supply some on the aftermarket side for a few guys on here. didn't mean to say they manufactured for moomba but they may have.
there's a few other vendors as well so once you know what tower you have start asking around.

Edadams1
02-26-2021, 12:29 AM
No worries, I have the Rad a Cage tower.

sandm
02-26-2021, 12:32 AM
iirc there's 2 versions of that as well. the difference is in the top 1/3 of the tower. google older 2006ish supras and moombas.

Edadams1
02-26-2021, 08:39 PM
I am of the understanding that it is a gen 3

yearround
03-01-2021, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys for making me feel so welcome. Attached are two pictures. You are welcome to come and join me for so slalom skiing anytime.

I live in Colorado and the boat is in Michigan so we have a road trip ahead of us. Since I have the road trip I need to get a spare. The wheel is a 15 inch six lug, but I don’t know the spacing between the lugs. Anybody have the answer? Also would like to get a nice affordable bimini that attaches to the tower and some wakeboard racks.

Where in CO? I will take you up on the ski offer!

Road trip and a spare, i would get 2, maybe see if you can give one unused back, but that a long way to go on 2 unknown tires.

Bimini: go to a local shop (Paul’s canvas in Denver) and have them custom make for you. I had one made for my long ago boat, it is still being used since 2004.

Racks: get the OEM that connect to the tower rails. I forget who it is. Or monster racks are good. I had monster racks on my LSV rad-a-cage tower for my skis. I have pics somewhere.

Maybe i should have read the rest of the comments, someone probably already said all this.

But I still want o meet up for a ski with you!

Edadams1
03-05-2021, 07:39 PM
We are in Colorado Springs but usually go up to Cheery Creek.

Thanks for the info.