PDA

View Full Version : Whatre the best ballast hoses?

Leirhiht
08-29-2018, 02:31 PM
I need quite a bit of new 3/4 ballast hoses for my boat and was wondering what the best kind and where I could buy it from? I was looking at the see through premium hose from bakes online at 1.50 per foot and was about to purchase but wanted to get some opinions from you guys first on whether I should just go w their hose or something else.

RC_Hinojosa
08-29-2018, 02:40 PM
I need quite a bit of new 3/4 ballast hoses for my boat and was wondering what the best kind and where I could buy it from? I was looking at the see through premium hose from bakes online at 1.50 per foot and was about to purchase but wanted to get some opinions from you guys first on whether I should just go w their hose or something else.

WakeMAKERS has premium see through for $1.29/ft not counting forum discount.

https://www.wakemakers.com/premium-marine-ballast-hose.html

MLA
08-29-2018, 02:49 PM
The clear vinyl does seem to age better then the black hose. However what ever you go with, it should definitely be one that is coil reinforced, which can be found in both the black and clear varieties. The color of the coils, whether black, blue, green, gray or white, makes no difference.

Sounds like a considerable overhaul. Id consider upgrading to 1" hose and fittings, if possible.

Leirhiht
08-29-2018, 04:37 PM
The clear vinyl does seem to age better then the black hose. However what ever you go with, it should definitely be one that is coil reinforced, which can be found in both the black and clear varieties. The color of the coils, whether black, blue, green, gray or white, makes no difference.

Sounds like a considerable overhaul. Id consider upgrading to 1" hose and fittings, if possible.

What will upgrading to 1" hose do? I have a 08 mobius lsv which has that slow sprinkler system rail. With that being said will upping to a 1" help pump/drain faster?

Leirhiht
08-29-2018, 04:38 PM
WakeMAKERS has premium see through for $1.29/ft not counting forum discount.

https://www.wakemakers.com/premium-marine-ballast-hose.html

Whaaat? Discount, I'm there!
Thanks

MLA
08-29-2018, 08:55 PM
What will upgrading to 1" hose do? I have a 08 mobius lsv which has that slow sprinkler system rail. With that being said will upping to a 1" help pump/drain faster?

Upgrading to 1" hose and fittings can improve flow rate by reducing dead pressure. Sadly, hose alone wont make mush of a difference if the rest of the restrictions are left in place. Partly, cause you can crimp 1" hose down to a 3/4 fitting.

Leirhiht
08-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Upgrading to 1" hose and fittings can improve flow rate by reducing dead pressure. Sadly, hose alone wont make mush of a difference if the rest of the restrictions are left in place. Partly, cause you can crimp 1" hose down to a 3/4 fitting.

Now if I upgraded the hose you say I'd have to up grade the barbs at the end of the hoses, does this mean I'd also have to upgrade the fittings on the bags as well?

5:00
08-30-2018, 12:54 PM
Also if you ever upgrade your pumps (which you should because it is life changing) you won't have to do the hoses again.

Leirhiht
08-30-2018, 04:25 PM
Also if you ever upgrade your pumps (which you should because it is life changing) you won't have to do the hoses again.

Ya I thought about it but didnt want to spend 1000. Maybe after I get the boat fixed of this damn stuttering issue I've been having since 2016! I've stumped the whole forum with this issue. Replaced so many parts and I still have it happening while on the lake...

MLA
08-30-2018, 05:12 PM
Now if I upgraded the hose you say I'd have to up grade the barbs at the end of the hoses, does this mean I'd also have to upgrade the fittings on the bags as well?

Yes. In order to gain any flow increase, you have to up the smallest passage. This is typically fitting as the sac/tank. Just increasing the hose, offers no benefit. Besides, you cant effectively crimp 1" hose down on to a 3/4" fitting.

Leirhiht
09-05-2018, 11:29 AM
Yes. In order to gain any flow increase, you have to up the smallest passage. This is typically fitting as the sac/tank. Just increasing the hose, offers no benefit. Besides, you cant effectively crimp 1" hose down on to a 3/4" fitting.

I contacted wakemakers and they told me upping to a 1 inch won't do anything to increase fill/drain. I do have the 08 mobius which has that lame sprinkler system set up. Has anyone here upped 3/4 to 1 inch and actually seen a difference in water flow with this slow sprinkler system?

MLA
09-05-2018, 05:45 PM
I contacted wakemakers and they told me upping to a 1 inch won't do anything to increase fill/drain. I do have the 08 mobius which has that lame sprinkler system set up. Has anyone here upped 3/4 to 1 inch and actually seen a difference in water flow with this slow sprinkler system?

Yes, and ive covered why. Hose alone will not gain you any benefit, as the fittings, including the sprinkler valves, would still be the smaller orifice and still causing a restriction, i.e. head pressure.

I demonstrated this a number of years back in flow testing. 3/4" hose with a 1" fitting on the end flowed more then 1" hose with a 3/4" fitting.