PDA

View Full Version : Winterization of 2017 Craz 400 Raptor

240Gordie
08-29-2018, 12:28 AM
Can't find any info online on how to winterize my Raptor 400 engine.
Dealer won't give me any info because he want to charge me for it.
I have experience winterizing my old boat but don't want to miss a step.
Thank you for your help.
240Gordie

mathieu12222
08-29-2018, 07:11 AM
Following ! Had two boat the past 5 year but now it's my first winter with a raptor 400 engine and dont want to miss a step.

For the ballast pump, where we should pour antifreeze in the pump ? is there a quick acces somewhere or do i need to unplug each pump manually and pour antifreeze in the hoses and then bump it with switch ?

RC_Hinojosa
08-29-2018, 09:18 AM
Guys,

here is a little doc with photos I made last winter...it should get you through the process.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hmkBzjVSJUR1U9C_3UNL4R0gBHMqpoDL

korey
08-29-2018, 09:55 AM
That picture from the engine for sale ad is awesome for your document! I side of the engine that you never really get to see!

Dtbradly
08-29-2018, 09:55 AM
so this may be a silly question but with those 5 points is it just follow the below to remove the bulk of the water? i assume then you close it back up and run some antifreeze through

1) loosen or remove 3 wingnuts to let them drain
2) remove impeller cover to drain
3) unscrew hose and let drain

moparsigfan
08-29-2018, 10:03 AM
Best write up of engine Winterization I’ve seen! Thank you!
Now I need to find a similar write up for the ballast system!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
08-29-2018, 10:32 AM
so this may be a silly question but with those 5 points is it just follow the below to remove the bulk of the water? i assume then you close it back up and run some antifreeze through

1) loosen or remove 3 wingnuts to let them drain
2) remove impeller cover to drain
3) unscrew hose and let drain

Yep, follow 1, 2 & 3. You can definitely close it back up and run antifreeze till you see it come out of the exhaust but whether you really need to depends on where you live. I'm in Houston where we seldom get a hard freeze that lasts several continuous days. Last winter all I did was drain everything and was golden.

RC_Hinojosa
08-29-2018, 10:36 AM
Best write up of engine Winterization I’ve seen! Thank you!
Now I need to find a similar write up for the ballast system!

I haven't had to winterize my ballast system but I don't live in Michigan. For me, all I did was remove the bags, put bleach in them and hang them to dry. Up north I would imagine you could pour antifreeze into the bags from your vent ports and drain your bags most of the way.

moparsigfan
08-29-2018, 11:21 AM
Thanks for that idea. That would get the pumps and inlet lines full of antifreeze which was my main concern. My other thought was to place a hose in a bucket of antifreeze and suck it up through the inlet, but your suggestion sounds easier!
I’ll be removing the bags and hanging them in our basement for the winter!

zabooda
08-29-2018, 01:08 PM
Get the information into the "How to" section if it isn't already there.

Kraimz15
08-30-2018, 09:54 AM
that Google doc was amazing RC_Hinojosa!!!

I've got an '18 Craz and plan to do my winterization at the end of Sept/beg of Oct. Being up North (MN), I do have the wonderful feature of heat on my boat...anyone know how to winterize the heater?

I've seen people suggest using the Strainer/Flushing device when using anti-freeze after the engine is drained. Question on that...do you get enough push from the bucket of anti-freeze to get it sucked through the system, or is there a shut-off valve I need to utilize to create the vacuum (bypassing the water port at the bottom of the boat). Otherwise, I'll just use a fake-a-lake.

Also - my brother-in-law has a Malibu, and for his ballasts he just runs them for a bit after the bags are empty to ensure the that the pump dries out. Since water doesn't sit in pump (yes?), I think I'll go with that instead of running anti-freeze through the bags.

Thoughts?

KnoxMojo
08-30-2018, 02:29 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you do not have to winterize the heaters on the Raptor as they use the closed loop cooling whereas the other style heater core that uses water from the engine had to be drained and blown out.

zabooda
08-30-2018, 03:39 PM
that Google doc was amazing RC_Hinojosa!!!

I've got an '18 Craz and plan to do my winterization at the end of Sept/beg of Oct. Being up North (MN), I do have the wonderful feature of heat on my boat...anyone know how to winterize the heater?

I've seen people suggest using the Strainer/Flushing device when using anti-freeze after the engine is drained. Question on that...do you get enough push from the bucket of anti-freeze to get it sucked through the system, or is there a shut-off valve I need to utilize to create the vacuum (bypassing the water port at the bottom of the boat). Otherwise, I'll just use a fake-a-lake.

Also - my brother-in-law has a Malibu, and for his ballasts he just runs them for a bit after the bags are empty to ensure the that the pump dries out. Since water doesn't sit in pump (yes?), I think I'll go with that instead of running anti-freeze through the bags.

Thoughts?

Water will sit on either side of the pump if there isn't a way the remaining water will gravity flow away from the intake or outlet. Have the lines coming out of the pump lower than the pump itself. You only need a 10% void for expansion.

KnoxMojo
08-30-2018, 03:53 PM
Water will sit on either side of the pump if there isn't a way the remaining water will gravity flow away from the intake or outlet. Have the lines coming out of the pump lower than the pump itself. You only need a 10% void for expansion.

Raptor heater does not use water, it uses the coolant from the engine. It is in the closed loop with the engine.

zabooda
08-30-2018, 05:10 PM
Bags use the pumps though.

KnoxMojo
08-30-2018, 06:11 PM
He asked about the heater...to do bags, simply disconnect the bags and turn pumps to drain to flush out any water

Kraimz15
09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the discussion! I've also confirmed with Indmar as well (thanks KnowMojo) that the heater is part of the closed loop system, so it's already pumped full of antifreeze.

Catman
09-25-2018, 09:37 PM
I have a 16 craz and have 3 blue drain points and I haven’t yet removed the cover for the raw water pump or replaced the impeller . How often are you supposed to replace it .

RC_Hinojosa
09-27-2018, 01:38 PM
I have a 16 craz and have 3 blue drain points and I haven’t yet removed the cover for the raw water pump or replaced the impeller . How often are you supposed to replace it .

According to Indmar, replace it annually...

https://3hrrn17xcv6279hr9jo4stbt-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-Indmar-Maintenance-Chart1.pdf

98outback
09-27-2018, 08:13 PM

It’s cheap. Replace it every year.

DRHRSH
10-02-2018, 11:22 PM
Thanks to RC Hinojosa for those awesome pics from the link above. Just thought I could to help others with a few tips. The most difficult drain plug is the one in the back ( toward the front of the boat )of the transmission/V-Drive. It is reasonably easy if you can use a 1 1/16” socket.
This is the little devil you are after

DRHRSH
10-02-2018, 11:28 PM
The drain plug on the starboard side of the engine access requires a 11/16 socket. It drains the heat exchanger.
The 2 fittings on the port side are the blue wing bolt and the impeller cover. I drained the blue wing bolt first as it is lower and when I opened the impeller cover I got nothing out. I know the manufacturer recommends replacing the impeller every year so maybe that’s why they have you remove this cover

DRHRSH
10-02-2018, 11:30 PM
The last place to drain is the garden hose connection under the transmission access cover. Obviously best to do this while you are doing the #$%?¥§! 1 1/16” Drain plug under the trans.
I have noticed others refer to another fitting on the transmission V-Drive housing but I could not find one on my boat.
Hope these tips help others.

Bonte4
10-14-2018, 10:01 AM
I don't recall seeing anything about how to pump the anti-freeze through your system for us up north boaters, can someone chime in on this? I've read bits and pieces about using a fake a lake but no step by step which is what im looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help!

parrothd
10-14-2018, 10:21 AM
I don't recall seeing anything about how to pump the anti-freeze through your system for us up north boaters, can someone chime in on this? I've read bits and pieces about using a fake a lake but no step by step which is what im looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Put a bucket full of rv antifreeze under the exhaust, large bucket or tub works best, put one end of a garden hose in the bucket and connect the other to the strainer, close the water supply valve and start the boat. The boat will suck up the anti freeze and cycle thru the boat come out the exhaust run the boat until the temp reaches 180.

larry_arizona
10-14-2018, 10:28 AM
Aren’t all Raptors closed cooling systems that would not require you to warm engine to open the thermostat?

Technically all you should need to do in a Raptor is pull antifreeze until it comes out of the exhaust, you are just filling the raw water HX loop.

Engine needs zero winterization.

parrothd
10-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Aren’t all Raptors closed cooling systems that would not require you to warm engine to open the thermostat?

Technically all you should need to do in a Raptor is pull antifreeze until it comes out of the exhaust, you are just filling the raw water HX loop.

Engine needs zero winterization.

Ahh. Yep.. I run it so the oil heats up makes it easier to extract.And you want to collect the anti freeze and dispose of properly..

Bonte4
10-16-2018, 07:46 AM
Put a bucket full of rv antifreeze under the exhaust, large bucket or tub works best, put one end of a garden hose in the bucket and connect the other to the strainer, close the water supply valve and start the boat. The boat will suck up the anti freeze and cycle thru the boat come out the exhaust run the boat until the temp reaches 180.

Would this work as well?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Winterizer-Winterize-Preparation-65501/dp/B0000AXQU2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539690283&sr=8-3&keywords=boat+winterization+kit

larry_arizona
10-16-2018, 08:16 AM
Would this work as well?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Winterizer-Winterize-Preparation-65501/dp/B0000AXQU2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539690283&sr=8-3&keywords=boat+winterization+kit

Absolutely.

I made a giant beer bong with a 5 gallon bucket and a short RV water hose (garden hose).

$15 brass spigot from Amazon , $6 hose.

moparsigfan
10-16-2018, 08:22 AM
Absolutely.

I made a giant beer bong with a 5 gallon bucket and a short RV water hose (garden hose).

$15 brass spigot from Amazon , $6 hose.

I saw a couple of folks on here post pics of this setup and replicated it with some 5/8” fuel line, a garden hose spigot, bulkhead flange and a 5 gallon bucket from Menards. $30 max. Worked like a charm!

moparsigfan
10-16-2018, 08:26 AM
I also picked up 16 Motorcraft SP-526 spark plugs from O’Reillys for $88 after tax. Same PN indmar repackages and sells for $215+ which is a ridiculous markup! You can buy top notch iridium plugs for that but why bother if you are going to replace them annually!?!

parrothd
10-16-2018, 09:01 AM
Would this work as well?

Do you have the strainer installed in your boat? If you do all you need is a bucket and garden hose. The boat will suck up from the bucket. Much easier than having the bucket setups inside the boat. Just connect the hose fill the bucket outside the boat and stick the other end if the hose in the bucket and start it. It will suck it the antifreeze.

Bonte4
10-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Do you have the strainer installed in your boat? If you do all you need is a bucket and garden hose. The boat will suck up from the bucket. Much easier than having the bucket setups inside the boat. Just connect the hose fill the bucket outside the boat and stick the other end if the hose in the bucket and start it. It will suck it the antifreeze.

I have a 2017 Mondo, does it come standard or is it an accessory? What does it look like and where do I find it on the boat?

Bonte4
10-21-2018, 02:24 PM

I followed the instructions and the boat isn’t sucking up the antifreeze, does it take a minute to warm up before it will start to pump it up and into the strainer from the bucket?

parrothd
10-21-2018, 02:37 PM
I followed the instructions and the boat isn’t sucking up the antifreeze, does it take a minute to warm up before it will start to pump it up and into the strainer from the bucket?

Did you close the intake valve?

Bonte4
10-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Did you close the intake valve?

Yes, it’s connected to the hose that goes to the strainer correct?

parrothd
10-21-2018, 03:51 PM
Yes, it’s connected to the hose that goes to the strainer correct?

Not sure, recheck your setup, there's enough suction to suck thru a 30 ft garden hose. Maybe you have a leak somewhere or the valve isn't closed. You can always move the bucket inside.

parrothd
10-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Not sure, recheck your setup, there's enough suction to suck thru a 30 ft garden hose. Maybe you have a leak somewhere or the valve isn't closed. You can always move the bucket inside.

It does a a minute or so to suck up from the bucket thru all the hose and into the strainer.

larry_arizona
10-21-2018, 04:07 PM
Gravity feed your strainer, you don’t want to the impeller dry.

Bonte4
10-21-2018, 04:16 PM

I did empty all the water out of the system first, that is correct right? I just don’t understand if you empty the water out how it can pull if there’s nothing in the system?

larry_arizona
10-21-2018, 04:26 PM
I did empty all the water out of the system first, that is correct right? I just don’t understand if you empty the water out how it can pull if there’s nothing in the system?

Lift the bucket of antifreeze higher than the strainer, these pumps are not designed to create suction dry and pull through a long hose with air in it.

Are you using a set up like this?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181021/9b5909e945a2ef883a57167a0589b982.jpg

parrothd
10-21-2018, 06:20 PM
Lift the bucket of antifreeze higher than the strainer, these pumps are not designed to create suction dry and pull through a long hose with air in it.

These are self priming pumps, they're strong enough to collapse a garden hose. Try raising the bucket, but my guess is you don't have the intake valve closed. You'll never get suction and or will need to do it gravity feed.

parrothd
10-21-2018, 06:22 PM
Do you have the other end in the bucket under water?

Bonte4
10-21-2018, 06:32 PM
I had to elevate the bucket and hose so it gravity fed, at that point it was fine. Not sure why it wouldn’t suck even when I had the bucket in the boat. I’ll be creating a set up similar to the one in the pic for next year.

Thanks everyone for your help, it was a long process but the job is done.

LAwake
12-17-2018, 03:19 PM

Hey man, where did you find a short hose like that and how did you attach that valve assembly to the bucket? What is that assembly called? I want to make something like this so I can winterize my boat. This is my first inboard so I want to make sure I do what I need to and do it right just to be safe and avoid any costly issues.

larry_arizona
12-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Hey man, where did you find a short hose like that and how did you attach that valve assembly to the bucket? What is that assembly called? I want to make something like this so I can winterize my boat. This is my first inboard so I want to make sure I do what I need to and do it right just to be safe and avoid any costly issues.
Hose
Camco 22813 4ft Premium Drinking... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FD63M3P?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Valve

Tabbies Large Print Gold-Edged... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I6WCQTG?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Just need a 1.25” hole saw

LAwake
12-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Hose
Camco 22813 4ft Premium Drinking... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FD63M3P?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Valve

Tabbies Large Print Gold-Edged... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I6WCQTG?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Just need a 1.25” hole saw

Thanks! You are the man!!

clark
01-28-2019, 12:17 AM
This is the exact kit I have and used for the last 2 years. Works great