PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Moomba Outback - Engine Quits

LakePerson1952
08-27-2018, 02:03 PM
I have a 2010 Moomba Outback with 325HP Indmar Assault engine and have never had engine trouble. That changed yesterday.

I had been riding for a while at around 20-25mph. Stopped to watch a minute at a jumping rock with engine idling. After just a minute the engine bogged down and quite. Would not restart. After a while I called TowBoat but while waiting I tried to crank again and it started up ... so canceled TowBoat and started heading home. Didn't make it ... running at about 20mph and the engine bogged down and quit ... I'm not sure but it seemed to die completely for a couple seconds but then revive just a little before quitting for good. Called TowBoat again and was towed to ramp. Engine cranked right up to load on trailer.

My first thought was bad fuel. First, tank was somewhat low but definitely not empty ... but it seemed like I went through more fuel that the amount of running would have caused ... with the amount I ran since last fillup I'd have expected a half tank but was less than 1/4. Second, when trying to crank the exhaust smelled a bit funny ... don't normally smell the exhaust even when cold and needing to crank a bit. Third, when trying to start it backfired lightly a couple times ... I think water in fuel causes backfires but my experience is that those are loud and will backfire during running also ... no backfires when running.

I AM NOT A MECHANIC ... not even close. Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is to try to locate the fuel filter.

Thanks.

Stazi
08-27-2018, 02:06 PM
How hot was it where you were when this happened? Sounds like it may be vapor lock, although that isn’t usually typical for while it is running. Could also be a dirty fuel filter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LakePerson1952
08-28-2018, 02:33 PM
How hot was it where you were when this happened? Sounds like it may be vapor lock, although that isn’t usually typical for while it is running. Could also be a dirty fuel filter.

Thanks for the response Stazi. Outside temp was probably in the high 80s. Engine temp gauge said 160 which is normal. I have definitely boated at higher outside temperatures and never had a similar problem.

To be honest, the TowBoat guy said it sounded like vapor lock too but when I Googled it the description didn't seem to fit.

I will figure out where the fuel filter is and check. Any additional suggestions will be appreciated.

Richard

Mikes
08-28-2018, 04:14 PM
If you cant get it figured out PM me your number and Ill help you with it. Im just across the lake from Fair Play and work on these boats quite often.