PDA

View Full Version : Trailer dragging/hot wheel

jyj1189
08-26-2018, 04:19 PM
So I've noticed my '07 Boatmate seems to be dragging lately. I noticed today one of the wheels, lugs, and hub was hot to the touch. I've had the brake system checked after I had to replace the axle in '13.

Anyone have experiences like this or know what it could be?

Darter
08-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Check your bearings. Either you'll need to replace oil (oil bath) or relube (grease fittings). If it's getting hot, they'll fail and you'll lose the wheel on the highway.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

Stazi
08-26-2018, 08:12 PM
Is it super hot at the center of the axle/hub cap? If so could be a failing wheel bearing and must be replaced ASAP. Don’t dick around with this: get it fixed immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
08-26-2018, 08:34 PM
Today there was a few pics on Facebook of this - wheels completely off.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Catman
08-26-2018, 09:51 PM
If it’s dragging it’s most likely a stuck caliber

z28ke
08-27-2018, 09:33 AM
If it’s dragging it’s most likely a stuck caliber

Agreed. This happened twice on my 2008 trailer over 10 years of ownership. If the wheel is covered in brake dust that definitely the issue.

rdlangston13
08-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Put the trailer on jack stands and grab the wheel at the 3 o clock and 9 o clock positions and try to wiggle side by side. There should be almost no noticeable play. Repeat this at the 12 o clock and 6 o clock positions. If there is no play then your wheel bearings should be good. Next try to turn the wheel. It doesnt spin freely then inspect the brake caliper. Good brakes 5 years ago does not mean good brakes today.

jyj1189
08-28-2018, 08:49 PM
Seems to be brake than hub. Wanted to troubleshoot the brakes today but had some electrical issues last night that took priority.

Just in case, anyone have experience in changing out the inners of the surge system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bergermaister
08-29-2018, 09:53 AM
I replaced my surge unit a few years back when I did all new bearings and brakes. They’re not too bad. Bleeding is about the only tricky part. Just takes patience.

mmandley
08-30-2018, 11:24 PM
Put the trailer on jack stands and grab the wheel at the 3 o clock and 9 o clock positions and try to wiggle side by side. There should be almost no noticeable play. Repeat this at the 12 o clock and 6 o clock positions. If there is no play then your wheel bearings should be good. Next try to turn the wheel. It doesnt spin freely then inspect the brake caliper. Good brakes 5 years ago does not mean good brakes today.

My brakes on the Mojo only lasted 3 years, had to replace them in 16 before the trip to GA, since we have arrived in GA i bet I have only pulled that trailer 10 miles LOL.