PDA

View Full Version : Demo Rides - Do’s and Dont’s

96Pirate
08-21-2018, 02:06 PM
I hope to be taking a new Craz out for a demo ride before the end of the season. This will be my first new boat demo ride process so looking for the opinions from all of you on the do’s and dont’s. In talking to my local dealer he certainly was open to a demo and having me surf it but we didnt go into details. I was hoping to bring both my daughters out with me and have them as well as I surf the boat. Is that too much? What is the norm or how much did you do on your demos? How much time to alot for the demo? Can we wakeboard as well? I assume all dealers handle it differently and i will certainly talk details with them. Just trying to see what I should/can ask to do.

Thanks
Mike

larry_arizona
08-21-2018, 02:18 PM
If you are a serious buyer, I would think bringing the family and doing surf and wake is legit.

I have to think demos are the best part of a boat salesman’s job.

Don’t be shy when spending that kinda money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
08-21-2018, 02:27 PM
only demo'ed 1 new boat. dealer would not allow surfing as the engine only had 1.5hrs on it. demo was about 30 minutes on the water. he filled up ballast and showed the surf wave for about a minute, then wakeboard wave for the same time. we chatted for quite a while before the demo and like most, a new boat out of the box is not going to have a wave that is what the boat is truly capable of. most add ballast after the fact so no real reason to surf and we both agreed to that. don't board so didn't ask but it was more a time to check out the features/handling. now this boat was not a "demo" boat but the actual one for sale. some dealers have demo boats that they will be more than happy to entertain you on for a few hours and they sell at the end of the season as a "demo".

kids I think depends on age. younger, leave at home and make the decision then bring them down to show them the new toy. older teens, perhaps bring along. major purchase I would not want the distraction of having to take care of them and not able to focus on the boat at hand.

good luck and hope it all goes well.

jcarter20
08-21-2018, 02:30 PM
I brought my wife, oldest son, and my cousin who wakeboards and surfs with me. The dealer had no issues with that. I was the only one who surfed and wakeboarded, but I was the only one who mattered since I was footing the bill. [emoji12]

Just don’t act like a moron and run the boat like you stole it and you will be fine. I can’t stand it when people test drive a boat and asks how does it handle.... Then proceed to do a hard turn at 30 mph. Like really, who drives like that on a normal day anyway. Unless I am dodging a log, I want my boat driven straight!

larry_arizona
08-21-2018, 02:55 PM
I have to agree on no young kids. Huge distraction to you.

I also agree on driving the boat like a F1 car. I never do that in real world, why do it on a demo.

It’s the same as when selling a high horsepower car.... every buyer wants to do a burnout. Are you kidding me??

zabooda
08-22-2018, 01:44 PM
For liability purposes, I would require riders to remain in the boat. Prospective riders can see the wake and make a judgement.

parrothd
08-22-2018, 04:54 PM
For liability purposes, I would require riders to remain in the boat. Prospective riders can see the wake and make a judgement.

And I'd be talking to the next dealer.. No demo no cash..

zabooda
08-22-2018, 04:59 PM
My mistake. I was talking about myself as a seller not as a dealer. Dealers should allow that option as they should have the liability to cover any issues.

DFTR Josh
08-23-2018, 09:10 AM
Do plan to enjoy yourself and get ready for a LOT of information. I've taken out just husband and wife to the whole damn crew. I actually leave it up to the customer on who they want to bring but do suggest less people the more interaction rather then distraction time I will have with them. I usually drive most of the time and feel out their experience and how comfortable I am to let them drive. Great thing is when I get the really experience boaters I get to ride and have a good time also. Took Tracy out on this forum for a Max demo and had one of the funniest surf sets I have had all season.
Your demo should be like a first date, if you don't make out on the door step WALK AWAY! :twisted:

96Pirate
08-24-2018, 05:44 PM
Wow! Great information everyone and exactly what i was looking for. I appreciate all the info. Hopefully i can get out this year but seems like all the weekends are booked up.

Thanks again. I will let you know how it works out.

96Pirate
08-24-2018, 05:45 PM
Do plan to enjoy yourself and get ready for a LOT of information. I've taken out just husband and wife to the whole damn crew. I actually leave it up to the customer on who they want to bring but do suggest less people the more interaction rather then distraction time I will have with them. I usually drive most of the time and feel out their experience and how comfortable I am to let them drive. Great thing is when I get the really experience boaters I get to ride and have a good time also. Took Tracy out on this forum for a Max demo and had one of the funniest surf sets I have had all season.
Your demo should be like a first date, if you don't make out on the door step WALK AWAY! :twisted:
Maybe i should come see you:)