PDA

View Full Version : Sound System Design Help

ssevey17
08-12-2018, 08:48 PM
I bought a 2000 Mobius V earlier this season which had the factory system in it with no tower speakers. I bought tower speakers, and amp and a sub. I'm going to build a amp rack to make everything look nice. I see a lot of people using circuit breakers in there installs instead of fuses. Is there a reason for this? Also, what size breaker/fuse should I put inline before my amp? Thanks in advance! Any wiring diagrams would be greatly appreciated!

MLA
08-12-2018, 09:04 PM
Is there a reason for this? Also, what size breaker/fuse should I put inline before my amp?

Depends on the amp's potential current draw and the cabling size used.

Any wiring diagrams would be greatly appreciated!

All the terminals on your amp should be marked as to what they are, so no real diagram needed other then whats shown in the amp's manual. B+, B-, turn-on, RCA and speaker wires.

If you purchased the gear through a credible retailer, dont hesitate to enlist their assistance with your questions. They should be able to help with proper circuit protection, cable gauge, amp setup and tuning.

Jeepers
08-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Circuits are just easier to service on elaborate systems. Unless you have 3+ amps I wouldn’t bother. Don’t waist money on capacitors. They’re worthless. Just make sure to use the appropriate gauge power and speaker wires. Run 12ga to tower as this will allow you to upgrade, expand... over time. Use good quality RCA’s that are well insulated. You don’t need to spend a ton of money on wires. Just make sure they’re tinned marine wire and have good insulation to protect from abrasion. All the marketing is BS. Try to run power/ground as far away from RCA’s and Speaker wire as you can.

If your boat doesn’t already have a dual battery system, I would strongly suggest upgrading to a dual battery system with switch. Battery 1: starting battery running all boat accessories and Battery 2: audio system only. The dual battery system will save you pulling your hair out trying to figure to eliminate the engine noise and wine from playing through your speakers.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Don’t forget to share pics along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro