PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Moomba XLV with Indmae Assault Engine Issues

treverspence
08-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Looking for some help. Last Saturday we were at the river ran up to the sandbar sat all daythen headed back in and boat ran for about a mile and just died while running about 3/4 throttle then boat would not resart. Got towed back in and loaded boat got it home put it on the hose and it started right up and ran on hose for 5 minutes and just shutdown again. Sunday i got up and replaced the fuel filter and pulled the air filter and cleaned it. Also I pulled the connections on the fuel pump and cleaned those up. After getting everything back together I started the boat and it ran for 9 minutes flawlessly then just shutdown. I talked with Vince at DIM and he suggested pulling dist cap and checking contacts they were suspect so I ordered new Dist cap & rotor and replaced this didn't fix the issue. I think I can rule out a bad fule pump because I can put my hand on it while running and feel it pumping and continue to pump after the engine dies. After the engine dies it continues to run for about 10 seconds and primes as it should when key is turned on.I haven't checked the fuel pressure because I dont have the gauge and hose I can borrow one from Autozone but I don't think the fuel pump is the issue. I also think I can rule out a bad kill switch because when I depress it the boat won't do anything and also if remove either one of the electrical connections the boat won't do anything but as soon as i plug electrical prong back in and have the key is in run position I hear the fuel pump start to prime. While running the oil pressure reads at about 55 psi and water temp runs about 135-140 degrees also the RPM gauge holds steady at 750. HELP PLEASE the closest Moomba boat dealership is over 3 hours away and I'm sure several weeks backed up.

gregski
08-09-2018, 12:28 PM
I'd recommend checking the fuel pressure. I agree that it seems unlikely but it's easy to check. When my fuel pump died, it still sounded like it was working correctly. It doesn't line up with vapor lock, which would be more likely to not restart at all after sitting, but maybe you've got some heat building up after 10 minutes of running.

treverspence
08-09-2018, 12:39 PM
The boat has a history of vapor lock when I pull up to the sandbar I open the hatch and let air circulate. If it won't start when I'm ready to leave I can pour cold water over pump and fuel lines and it will run fine. Strange thing is it ran like a champ up to the sandbar about 4 miles and started right up and ran great for about a mile back towards the dock. I will get a fuel pressure tester from AutoZone, what pressure is it supposed to run at. Pump is only 2 years old. Are there any sensors that will shut the boat down?

gregski
08-09-2018, 01:46 PM
60psi if I remember correctly. It should be nice and steady.

The one time I had an over-temp, the ECU went into a reduced power/limp mode. I'm sure that oil pressure would cause something but I'm not sure if it'd be a reduced power or shutdown. (but I'd think it would have to let you start the engine because you'll always have 0 before running). You'd need a scanner type tool to debug something ECU related. Most marinas and marine service shops would be able to help, it wouldn't have to be a Moomba dealer if that helps.

treverspence
08-09-2018, 03:15 PM
So I borrowed a fuel pressure gauge and hooked it up and when I turn key on it pressurizes system to 52-55psi and when it is running it holds steady at that pressure even after it dies it is at that pressure. Boat didn't want to run very long to get a good reading so I pumped the gas a couple times before starting & it started but was surging up and down but the fuel pressure remained constant. We have one boat dealer in the area & they won't touch a inboard boat. We have one about 1.5hrs away but I don't trust their work because of past issues with them next closest one is in Gainesville FL.

treverspence
08-09-2018, 05:28 PM
To add insult to injury I thought I may have flooded the engine so I followed the Indmar procedure for clearing engine by pushing throttle to wide open and cranking boat. When I pushed throttle to wide open the shifter clicked and wont come back to neutral when I found the neutral position to allow the boat to crank the throttle is wide open which frankly scared the sh-- out of me when the boat started I had to use the kill switch to stop the engine. Anyone know how to get the throttle lever back in the proper straight up and down position?

jzelt
08-26-2018, 09:49 PM
If you look at the throttle cable in the back (starboard side) you should be able to disconnect the cable by sliding the link toward the bow and pop it off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk