PDA

View Full Version : water in walter V Drive

Ceetpeet
08-04-2018, 01:48 PM
so in my 2006 outback V that I bought, it had previously been sunk, so the V Drive was half full of water.

I drained and flushed with 30 weight a few times, took it on the water for 45 minutes, its milk shake again,it felt smooth and shifter in and out of drive perfectly.. I understand it probably still had moisture in there, do I just keep flushing with 30w oil till it looks like clean oil? can I add SEAFOAM?
any suggestions?

Thanks
Charlie

DOCDRS
08-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Drain and fill again, then again at end of season. You want to also make sure there is no leaking at the cooler. You want to use it between change times as you will never get the oil out of the cooling lines ( sorry lines are only for the tranny not the vdrive ) on a drain and fill.

kaneboats
08-05-2018, 11:04 AM
Yea, it only takes a quart or so -- so I'd run it, change it, run it, change it maybe 3 times. Then watch it for a while.

Ceetpeet
08-14-2018, 06:20 PM
I’ve drained and filled 4 times now. Still getting milk shake ��

DOCDRS
08-15-2018, 11:09 PM
Then you must have a crack in the top cooler. Does the volume of fluid change on the dipstick. Afaik water flows thru the top of the unit acting as a cooler. This is the only way water can get in afaik. The water is pulled thru via the impeller ,so I would think the water enters after engine shut down. There is a cooling element in the top that must have a leak. I think you can replace it.

Ceetpeet
08-22-2018, 02:07 PM
for some reason after the 5th change out... she's running totally clear.... woo hop

Darter
08-22-2018, 09:18 PM
I would maybe change it at least once again after a couple engine hours, and once more at winterization. When you extract and fill, you aren't able to remove all fluid. Running for a while and flushing should get the rest out.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

beat taco
08-23-2018, 11:55 AM
I changed mine every trip 6 or 7 times. Bought it with water, even changed it before I bought it to do a test drive. She finally cleared up. That was in 2011!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk