PDA

View Full Version : 2018 helix audio upgrade reccomendation

c_stein09
07-30-2018, 03:23 PM
I am looking to get a little better sound from my new boat. I currently have the stock kicker DXA250.4 amp that I believe is powering all of the boat audio, the 10" kicker sub, and two 6.5" roswell tower speakers. I have done some basic tuning to the amp but this has been difficult because there is a variety of speakers coming from the same channels. Once I eliminate distortion I feel that the overall volume takes a hit. Tuning has been difficult because I am not sure which speakers are powered by each amp channel. This is even more confusing when I adjust volume for zone 1 and 2 through the head unit and not knowing 100% which areas each of these are. Does anyone have knowledge of which speakers are powered by each amp channel and which of these are controlled by each zone of the head unit?

Unless i have missed something completely with my basic tuning and first look, I feel like I might be upgrading audio in the near future. What is everyone's opinion on the stock roswell tower speakers? Would I get better sound from them if they had more power, or would my money be better spent upgrading them and adding an additional amp?

Stazi
07-30-2018, 05:17 PM
That’s not surprise if you are running every speaker off one 250W amp. You should rework the system to use the current amp just for the towers and then get a 5 channel amp to run the in boats and sub. The Kicker 800.5 is perfect for that job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KnoxMojo
07-30-2018, 05:27 PM
There was just a long thread about this. Your interior speakers are running off the head unit. Your sub is running bridged off the amp and the other 2 channels are pushing your towers. That is also why you probably do not have dual zone control. The answer is to add another amp and have your shop set it up for dual zone separating your towers from your interior.

MLA
07-30-2018, 06:00 PM
If the amp is configured as Knox indicated, then you can independently tune the tower speakers and woofer. However, they in-boats are directly effected by the head unit settings. These same settings can also impact the 2 pair of in-boats and woofer.

The best overall is going to be to install an amp like the Kicker KXMA800.5. Move the woofer to its dedicated woofer chnl. Move the in-boats to the 4 full range chnls, with room to add a 3rd pair later.

Next, use the existing 4 chnl just for the tower pair.