PDA

View Full Version : New to Moomba (maybe)...general advice?

wired1236
07-30-2018, 12:15 PM
Hey all---

I've been a wakeboard boat owner since 2011 and have been the owner of an '06 Tige 20V for most of that time. It's time to go bigger and newer as we love to surf and the party is only getting bigger!

Now, I'm not the buyer that's going to spend $90k+ on a boat and that's what got my dealer looking at them. I have to say, I'm really impressed. Until the other day when I stopped in at my local dealer, I didn't see myself as a Moomba fan but wow...they have really stepped it up.

Now, I have made a lot of upgrades to the Tige to surf but hey, it's a 20' boat so I'm looking at the Craz. I like the traditional look of it, the technical advances over a 3-4 year old boat, and the size. I looked at the Max but just can't get over the look of the bow and knowing this is a boat that's going to have to last me several years to come, I have to feel comfortable about (almost) everything.

Anyway, I'm still shopping but knowing my 3 criteria...1. bigger, 2. surfing, 3. ~$70k budget, it seems to fit the bill. Now I've been on forums for a some time and it always drove me a little nuts when people would post "generic" topics or questions but if you have 2-3 things I should consider on the 2018 lineup, the pitfalls of buying a new boat or even specifically about the options of the Craz and the buying process, it would be appreciated!

Hope to be a Moomba owner soon! Thanks again!

kaneboats
07-30-2018, 12:38 PM
Here's some advice: Buy yourself a new Moomba. No worries. No regrets. Tons of fun. Won't break the bank. Holds value well like any other inboard-- just starts cheaper. Got my '08 new in 2010 and have enjoyed every bit of it.

RC_Hinojosa
07-30-2018, 12:41 PM
Order a Craz Pro, get your dealer to throw in some Enzo sacks and never look back, you'll be golden. :cool:

wired1236
07-30-2018, 01:09 PM
I read some threads on changing out the stock sacks and adding in lead ( I think you were on them). Just concerns me that you have to do that to a new boat.

KnoxMojo
07-30-2018, 01:21 PM
Most people do not run full people capacity. If you don't have the human weight to displace the boat, well, it has to come from somewhere. A lot of families are buying these boats and want to surf with only 3 or 4 people in the boat. That is why they are installing larger rear bags and using some "lead" (steel shot bags) to mimic the people weight and get it exactly where they want it. Spend some time on all the other forums reading, and you will see this is the trend. Load your boat to max people capacity and you won't have much of a need for the extra ballast weight.

Stazi
07-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Most people do not run full people capacity. If you don't have the human weight to displace the boat, well, it has to come from somewhere. A lot of families are buying these boats and want to surf with only 3 or 4 people in the boat. That is why they are installing larger rear bags and using some "lead" (steel shot bags) to mimic the people weight and get it exactly where they want it. Spend some time on all the other forums reading, and you will see this is the trend. Load your boat to max people capacity and you won't have much of a need for the extra ballast weight.

Bingo. If I could find another 10 people to ride along and not want to surf as well I would. LOL having a surf crew of 16 people would suck, both gas and time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

parrothd
07-30-2018, 01:48 PM
Bingo. If I could find another 10 people to ride along and not want to surf as well I would. LOL having a surf crew of 16 people would suck, both gas and time!

I prefer only 2, myself and driver.. :)

wired1236
07-30-2018, 01:59 PM
Ya...get it and does make sense. It's usually just my family of 4 and one or two other kids but I can even get my 20 footer to surf pretty well with 1700lbs of water in the boat. A friend of mine has a Centurion Ri237 and at $120k+, he still has trouble dialing in the wake. I don't want to seem negative Nelly until I try it so I guess we'll see. I have the Ronix "detachable" gate and I like it because I don't have to list the boat that way...still something Moomba should look at (I'm sure they have but it's $$$ so maybe that's why you don't see it as an option yet). Maybe they are in 2019?

Stazi
07-30-2018, 02:00 PM
Ya...get it and does make sense. It's usually just my family of 4 and one or two other kids but I can even get my 20 footer to surf pretty well with 1700lbs of water in the boat. A friend of mine has a Centurion Ri237 and at $120k+, he still has trouble dialing in the wake. I don't want to seem negative Nelly until I try it so I guess we'll see. I have the Ronix "detachable" gate and I like it because I don't have to list the boat that way...still something Moomba should look at (I'm sure they have but it's $$$ so maybe that's why you don't see it as an option yet). Maybe they are in 2019?

Read my other post. The side deployment gates are under patent to Malibu. Even Correct Craft has to pay royalties to Malibu for the NSS system, just because it sticks out the sides of the boat.

wired1236
07-30-2018, 02:08 PM
I've heard that. Hence the Ronix work around (and many others have come out with similar contraptions since.) I do know if cleaned up my wake and made it much easier to dial in with Ronix. Maybe something to think about adding in on this too. Just sucks to have to do something like that.

Also, so you guys don't use the autowake system when surfing either?

korey
07-30-2018, 02:08 PM
I'll chime in as a new Craz owner who came from decades of running older and smaller boats too. I had about the same criteria – didn’t like the looks of the max, wanted a traditional bow, mostly surf, etc.

I absolutely LOVE my boat and regret absolutely NOTHING. The 2019 enhancements look great - so much so that if I can make the right deal, I'll probably order as soon as it makes sense!

Like others have said, it took some added weight to get happy with the surf wave. I knew that going in. Honestly, the storage leftover with the factory bags leaves your stuff susceptible to damaging the bags or just getting trapped under them, so I figure why not?! There are extensive conversations here about Autowake, so I’ll skip that, but I don’t think there is anything else in the industry to compete with the G6 ballast, the 2019 ballast sensors, and the fit and finish of these boats. Go get in an Axis just for a second and you’ll see!

To directly respond to your concerns: I think you’re looking the right direction, but obviously I’m biased. I don’t know how others have shaken out, but $70k should get you a well optioned leftover for sure, but might be a touch light for a custom order. If you’re a do-it yourselfer at all and are into stereos, you might consider doing some of that yourself, but the factory options are adequate for someone who doesn’t want to mess with it and isn’t a complete audiophile (like me).

Some of this is copy/pasted from another thread that you may run across.
My “can’t live without’s” after doing it once:
All of the wake upgrades – that’s what you’re buying, duh
Bimini with surf pockets - my surf boards NEVER go in the board racks now, they ride WAY better in the bimini
Rear stereo controls (would be a PITA to add later)
HEAT - Even though it's 90F most days we're out, upper 70's at sunset when you're wet gets chilly! We seriously use it nearly every time we're out!
Nonskid on the gunnels
Transom steps on the trailer – MUST HAVE
Transom tie downs, they’re cheaper and easy to add aftermarket too – they’re literally the exact same TieDown brand part.

Things I might change next time:
Audio options – I cheaped out and didn’t buy the bow speakers. It wasn’t clear to me that included a 6 channel amp which amped the existing 4 in the cabin. They’re a little lacking powered from the head unit.
Don’t buy the Cooler - it sucks IMO
I might research doing my own board racks, just because of the swivels. I had the Roswell MAGs on my old boat and they were far superior to whatever Moomba uses. I didn't notice a surf rope wrapped around an empty board rack and pulled my brother up and broke the latch on a rack. it has a sacrificial part that is easy to replace, but the MAGs would not have done that...
Also, probably upgrade to clamping board racks too – I think boards bouncing around has contributed to the premature failure of my swivel’s locks.
If you trailer, the upgraded jack is pretty damn nice…
“native” 7 pin connector on the trailer so you don’t have to use an adapter – I use an adapter an the tiny bit of extra length it adds to the cable can let it drag.

A few things that I’ve been annoyed at:
Some of the screens don’t have all of the info that I want, but it sounds like that’s changed in 2019.
Dove grey is REALLY hot
The trailer came in TALLER than the 2017’s that I measured and it doesn’t fit through my 8’ tall door. I deflate tires a bit and remove the board racks EVERY time I bring the boat home.

As far as the buying process goes, I recommend you consider your dealer your FRIEND in this and don’t create an adversarial relationship. You will need them, there WILL be something, it will come at a bad time (for the me it was 4th of July weekend). SC seems to recognize this an encourage the dealers to become long term partners with the customers.

Also, if you’re custom ordering, GO TO THE FACTORY if you can!

wired1236
07-30-2018, 02:23 PM
I'll chime in as a new Craz owner who came from decades of running older and smaller boats too. I had about the same criteria – didn’t like the looks of the max, wanted a traditional bow, mostly surf, etc.

I absolutely LOVE my boat and regret absolutely NOTHING. The 2019 enhancements look great - so much so that if I can make the right deal, I'll probably order as soon as it makes sense!

Like others have said, it took some added weight to get happy with the surf wave. I knew that going in. Honestly, the storage leftover with the factory bags leaves your stuff susceptible to damaging the bags or just getting trapped under them, so I figure why not?! There are extensive conversations here about Autowake, so I’ll skip that, but I don’t think there is anything else in the industry to compete with the G6 ballast, the 2019 ballast sensors, and the fit and finish of these boats. Go get in an Axis just for a second and you’ll see!

To directly respond to your concerns: I think you’re looking the right direction, but obviously I’m biased. I don’t know how others have shaken out, but $70k should get you a well optioned leftover for sure, but might be a touch light for a custom order. If you’re a do-it yourselfer at all and are into stereos, you might consider doing some of that yourself, but the factory options are adequate for someone who doesn’t want to mess with it and isn’t a complete audiophile (like me).

Some of this is copy/pasted from another thread that you may run across.
My “can’t live without’s” after doing it once:
All of the wake upgrades – that’s what you’re buying, duh
Bimini with surf pockets - my surf boards NEVER go in the board racks now, they ride WAY better in the bimini
Rear stereo controls (would be a PITA to add later)
HEAT - Even though it's 90F most days we're out, upper 70's at sunset when you're wet gets chilly! We seriously use it nearly every time we're out!
Nonskid on the gunnels
Transom steps on the trailer – MUST HAVE
Transom tie downs, they’re cheaper and easy to add aftermarket too – they’re literally the exact same TieDown brand part.

Things I might change next time:
Audio options – I cheaped out and didn’t buy the bow speakers. It wasn’t clear to me that included a 6 channel amp which amped the existing 4 in the cabin. They’re a little lacking powered from the head unit.
Don’t buy the Cooler - it sucks IMO
I might research doing my own board racks, just because of the swivels. I had the Roswell MAGs on my old boat and they were far superior to whatever Moomba uses. I didn't notice a surf rope wrapped around an empty board rack and pulled my brother up and broke the latch on a rack. it has a sacrificial part that is easy to replace, but the MAGs would not have done that...
Also, probably upgrade to clamping board racks too – I think boards bouncing around has contributed to the premature failure of my swivel’s locks.
If you trailer, the upgraded jack is pretty damn nice…
“native” 7 pin connector on the trailer so you don’t have to use an adapter – I use an adapter an the tiny bit of extra length it adds to the cable can let it drag.

A few things that I’ve been annoyed at:
Some of the screens don’t have all of the info that I want, but it sounds like that’s changed in 2019.
Dove grey is REALLY hot
The trailer came in TALLER than the 2017’s that I measured and it doesn’t fit through my 8’ tall door. I deflate tires a bit and remove the board racks EVERY time I bring the boat home.

As far as the buying process goes, I recommend you consider your dealer your FRIEND in this and don’t create an adversarial relationship. You will need them, there WILL be something, it will come at a bad time (for the me it was 4th of July weekend). SC seems to recognize this an encourage the dealers to become long term partners with the customers.

Also, if you’re custom ordering, GO TO THE FACTORY if you can!

Thanks - I have read your posts and it's great info! I have an "in" in the stereo world and have installed much better stereos than they provide so I will not get their options. That's where I will get down to my numbers for the most part. The rest of your notes are spot on IMO.

I'm still going to go on a demo ride...I wouldn't buy a car w/o a test drive so...

jcarter20
07-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Korey hit the nail on the head. I love my 18 Craz also. I seem to one of the rare ones who didn’t upgrade the rear sacks. I wanted the extra storage. I only have 100lbs Of lead wake bags and if I only 2 others in the boat, I fill a 250 bag and place on the surf side. Personally I have no problems surfing the wave. My buddies with Malibu 23 LSV’s (a 17 and an 11) both love my wave. So, I think that says a lot. I also agree with the Axis comment. I was between the Moomba and Axis....for about a minute. I also test road the Craz and loved it immediately. One tip on that, make sure your salesman knows how to set it up for a true test ride. If he doesn’t know how to set up the wave or adjust it to your style, you will be disappointed. My salesman was awesome and he is an avid surfer also, which made my test ride great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wired1236
07-30-2018, 09:57 PM
Korey hit the nail on the head. I love my 18 Craz also. I seem to one of the rare ones who didn’t upgrade the rear sacks. I wanted the extra storage. I only have 100lbs Of lead wake bags and if I only 2 others in the boat, I fill a 250 bag and place on the surf side. Personally I have no problems surfing the wave. My buddies with Malibu 23 LSV’s (a 17 and an 11) both love my wave. So, I think that says a lot. I also agree with the Axis comment. I was between the Moomba and Axis....for about a minute. I also test road the Craz and loved it immediately. One tip on that, make sure your salesman knows how to set it up for a true test ride. If he doesn’t know how to set up the wave or adjust it to your style, you will be disappointed. My salesman was awesome and he is an avid surfer also, which made my test ride great.

That's good to hear! Thank you for easing my mind a little (all of you). My sales guy has a nice one in stock so I'm down to selling my old boat and seeing what happens. I went and walked around it a little today and I'm still impressed. I brought up our conversations and he seemed to be on his game and agreed (to a point). It seems they put a Wakemaker "kit" in them. He did say they make a bag that fits perfect in the rear and agreed most people will use weight bags. (BTW the also rep Malibu and Axis.) I didn't get the full story of what that was but I'll be sure to ask if/when I get farther in this quest. I'll be honest, it's hard to not only leave a manufacture you have had a great relationship with but also the boat.

korey
07-31-2018, 08:53 AM
I had one other "buying a new boat" thought: I'm not sure where you are or if the rules are the same anywhere else, but in Kentucky your trade value comes off the taxable value of your new boat. So any disadvantage of trading a boat in is quickly offset by the tax savings on the new boat.

Stazi
07-31-2018, 09:01 AM
I had one other "buying a new boat" thought: I'm not sure where you are or if the rules are the same anywhere else, but in Kentucky your trade value comes off the taxable value of your new boat. So any disadvantage of trading a boat in is quickly offset by the tax savings on the new boat.

Same deal in MI.

wired1236
07-31-2018, 09:24 AM
Same deal in MI.

I’m in Oregon so one advantage here is no sales tax! Don’t worry, they get us in other ways.

jcarter20
07-31-2018, 10:22 AM

You have to be careful of that though. They wanted to give me “mid Twenties” for my 05 Supra. I sold it outright for $33k. It ended up being much more than the tax offset. I am sure not all cases are like that, but in mine I put cash back in my pocket.....and then went and spent it on more upgrades! [emoji23]

wired1236
07-31-2018, 10:43 AM
You have to be careful of that though. They wanted to give me “mid Twenties” for my 05 Supra. I sold it outright for $33k. It ended up being much more than the tax offset. I am sure not all cases are like that, but in mine I put cash back in my pocket.....and then went and spent it on more upgrades! [emoji23]

Yep, I'm in a similar situation. We ran the numbers and what they are offering me for it is several thousand less than what we discussed it's worth on the open market. They have to make their money too.

wired1236
07-31-2018, 10:48 AM
jcarter - I just noticed on your signature you had the digital cruise. I have the GPS on my Tige and love it but have to admit, I don't feel it's necessary above the paddle wheel at times especially since we mostly boat on a river so it's not as accurate to your water speed during fast current time like in the spring. Thoughts? Seems like a spendy upgrade to go GPS (+$800).

Stazi
07-31-2018, 11:12 AM

Yes, you have to see what they will give you in trade and the. Do the math to see if it’s better off to sell the boat yourself for way more than the tax offset.

Shoebox
07-31-2018, 11:22 AM
jcarter - I just noticed on your signature you had the digital cruise. I have the GPS on my Tige and love it but have to admit, I don't feel it's necessary above the paddle wheel at times especially since we mostly boat on a river so it's not as accurate to your water speed during fast current time like in the spring. Thoughts? Seems like a spendy upgrade to go GPS (+$800).If you're on a river, don't do GPS.

jcarter20
07-31-2018, 12:17 PM
jcarter - I just noticed on your signature you had the digital cruise. I have the GPS on my Tige and love it but have to admit, I don't feel it's necessary above the paddle wheel at times especially since we mostly boat on a river so it's not as accurate to your water speed during fast current time like in the spring. Thoughts? Seems like a spendy upgrade to go GPS (+$800).

Yeah, I didn’t do the upgrade because I have heard a few issues with reliability. However, I have friends who have it and love it. The only thing that could be nice would be the Lake map if you were on a large lake that you are unfamiliar with. I would just carry a handheld gps in that scenario, or use my phone. I don’t boat on the river, but yes I have heard that can be an issue with speed. Either way, I have had zero issues with my paddle wheel.

wired1236
07-31-2018, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I didn’t do the upgrade because I have heard a few issues with reliability. However, I have friends who have it and love it. The only thing that could be nice would be the Lake map if you were on a large lake that you are unfamiliar with. I would just carry a handheld gps in that scenario, or use my phone. I don’t boat on the river, but yes I have heard that can be an issue with speed. Either way, I have had zero issues with my paddle wheel.

I was going back and forth - have for a long time and even switched between the two on my Tige to see what was best. The river is usually so slow it doesn't make a difference and you can see that between my analog speedo and the GPS. 1-2mph usually. But to save $800, I'm with you...why when you can use your phone which gets updates for free! I don't use maps much where I go. Lake Shasta maybe.

korey
07-31-2018, 01:24 PM
I've got the GPS upgrade too, and have had both in the past. Paddlewheel can be just as precise, but needs re-calibration. In my experience it needs re-calibration OFTEN if you trailer and tow your boat down the interstate like I do. Paddlewheel is certainly better on moving water (rivers), which I don't do often. I'm disappointed that the Moomba controls do not have a way to toggle between the two (and/or RPM mode) when you have the upgrade (when you upgrade the paddlewheel is still in the hull because it's the water temp and maybe depth sensor too).

parrothd
07-31-2018, 06:12 PM
I've got the GPS upgrade too, and have had both in the past. Paddlewheel can be just as precise, but needs re-calibration. In my experience it needs re-calibration OFTEN if you trailer and tow your boat down the interstate like I do. Paddlewheel is certainly better on moving water (rivers), which I don't do often. I'm disappointed that the Moomba controls do not have a way to toggle between the two (and/or RPM mode) when you have the upgrade (when you upgrade the paddlewheel is still in the hull because it's the water temp and maybe depth sensor too).

If you're on a river you want the paddle wheel, 1-2 mph doesn't sound much but every time you change direction you'd have to adjust the speed. My river also has slower and faster sections. :)

wired1236
07-31-2018, 06:27 PM
If you're on a river you want the paddle wheel, 1-2 mph doesn't sound much but every time you change direction you'd have to adjust the speed. My river also has slower and faster sections. :)

Yes, you're right. That's why I look at my analog speedo so between that and the GPS I have the best of both. Then on my Perfect Pass (GPS) it's one button to speed up or slow down either way. If there's no real advantage to GPS though to justify the extra $800, I may just opt for digital to I don't even have to worry about it.