PDA

View Full Version : Sunk boat can be fun!

DFTR Josh
07-29-2018, 09:56 PM
This is a pic I got from a salvage today, pretty freaking awesome! Poor MB made for a good shot [emoji854]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180730/425b281f7e367b031eaca58af8c4158b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stazi
07-29-2018, 10:14 PM
Not sure what I am Looking at here. [emoji848]

Surf Wagon
07-29-2018, 10:16 PM
I'm guessing someone sunk their BU and its being tugged back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Surf Wagon
07-29-2018, 10:17 PM
I'm guessing someone sunk their BU and its being tugged back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TapatalkOops don't read well MB being tugged back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DFTR Josh
07-29-2018, 11:11 PM
Not sure what I am Looking at here. [emoji848]

Rock jumped out and took out the underwater gear and resulted in it sinking most of the way. MB is side tied heading back to the marina the be trailered.

larry_arizona
07-29-2018, 11:14 PM
That is funny, boat looks like it’s floating

larry_arizona
07-29-2018, 11:37 PM

Tower speaker is pointing the wrong way

DFTR Josh
07-29-2018, 11:41 PM

How about this shot Larry?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180730/7a241e2d83e3634b39a3353327fc32ed.jpg

larry_arizona
07-30-2018, 12:01 AM
Oh shittttttt, did it hit the rocks??

DFTR Josh
07-30-2018, 12:11 AM
Oh shittttttt, did it hit the rocks??

Yep, pesky rocks of Lake Powell are no joke. 3rd one this year I know of. 1st a Malibu jumped and island and rolled. 2nd new Ri237 ate the prop and gel. 3rd this MB. Powell’s no joke.

larry_arizona
07-30-2018, 12:16 AM
Yep, pesky rocks of Lake Powell are no joke. 3rd one this year I know of. 1st a Malibu jumped and island and rolled. 2nd new Ri237 ate the prop and gel. 3rd this MB. Powell’s no joke.

Yikes, that sucks. Hope everyone was ok

Stazi
07-30-2018, 07:09 AM
Ugh. That would be the worst!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DFTR Josh
07-30-2018, 10:27 AM
People ask me a lot about Powell and what they should do for their trip. Low level water map is a good start, stick to the channel while going up and down lake, scout your riding area for any surprises that might be in the water. Powell will be the most wonderful time but can turn bad real fast with the lack of help that's quickly available at times. Can say I wouldn't trade this lake for any other except maybe a little closer then 6 hours away.

996scott
07-30-2018, 12:10 PM
my neighbor was down at powell last month. They were staying on a houseboat that was tied up to a buoy for the night so they tied up their Master Craft to the house boat and went to bed. When they got up in the morning most of their boat was underwater, but fortunately still tied up to the houseboat. They determined that there was a crack in one of the ballast hoses and some how the pump got turned on and ran all night long and just pumped the boat full of water. Pretty scary!

DFTR Josh
07-30-2018, 12:21 PM
my neighbor was down at powell last month. They were staying on a houseboat that was tied up to a buoy for the night so they tied up their Master Craft to the house boat and went to bed. When they got up in the morning most of their boat was underwater, but fortunately still tied up to the houseboat. They determined that there was a crack in one of the ballast hoses and some how the pump got turned on and ran all night long and just pumped the boat full of water. Pretty scary!

That sucks! Lake Powell Pirates

Kxmoomba
07-30-2018, 12:25 PM
I hit rocks and became a Moomba owner... some things don't end so bad after all :cool:

larry_arizona
07-30-2018, 12:27 PM
Isn’t bear lake much closer to you? I have snowmobiled in bear lake area often and thought bear lake would be awesome in the summer.

Kxmoomba
07-30-2018, 12:33 PM
Isn’t bear lake much closer to you? I have snowmobiled in bear lake area often and thought bear lake would be awesome in the summer.

Me? No, I am S.W. I hit the rocks at our local lake, not Powell

larry_arizona
07-30-2018, 12:36 PM
Me? No, I am S.W. I hit the rocks at our local lake, not Powell

Sorry, I meant that for Josh.

DFTR Josh
07-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Sorry, I meant that for Josh.

Bear Lake is closer but no way as nice as Powell. BL is wide open to the elements and never really had a good time there. LP just can’t be beat and worth the extra 2 hours of drive time.

larry_arizona
07-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Bear Lake is closer but no way as nice as Powell. BL is wide open to the elements and never really had a good time there. LP just can’t be beat and worth the extra 2 hours of drive time.

I could see that, I do remember the 2015 tragedy where 4 died when a rogue storm capsized their wakeboat.

DFTR Josh
07-30-2018, 12:56 PM
I could see that, I do remember the 2015 tragedy where 4 died when a rogue storm capsized their wakeboat.

Heck even worse, google Lake Powell 2017 storm. A few houseboat tipped while tied to shore with people inside. The craziest freak storm can happen anywhere. I tell people to know the forecast no matter where they go out.

DFTR Josh (downfortheride)
www.marine-products.com
Discount code: DFTR

zabooda
07-30-2018, 01:05 PM
People ask me a lot about Powell and what they should do for their trip. Low level water map is a good start, stick to the channel while going up and down lake, scout your riding area for any surprises that might be in the water. Powell will be the most wonderful time but can turn bad real fast with the lack of help that's quickly available at times. Can say I wouldn't trade this lake for any other except maybe a little closer then 6 hours away.

Which brings to some questions for our SLC riders. I did a road trip to Denver last week and after driving by the Flaming Gorge signs on I-80 all these years we drove on the west side of the reservoir and found numerous roads leading to campgrounds and took some pictures from the view point. Why isn't this area used much as the logistics seemed to be good? When we drove back we did a side trip by Bear Lake on Friday afternoon and the whole ride is really nice. We saw lines of surf boats heading up there as we were coming down. The water is an ocean blue and very beautiful. Rock along the shoreline and no coves that we saw. Busy place. What are the summer temperatures of the two lakes?

larry_arizona
07-30-2018, 01:16 PM
I don’t live in Utah, but travel there for work, I know Bear Lake water temps are fairly cold even mid summer.

jmvotto
07-30-2018, 01:54 PM
I cant believe they would let him surf off the boat while being towed

bergermaister
07-30-2018, 05:51 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Won't let him on the Salvage boat and not allowed in the sinker?

DFTR Josh
07-31-2018, 10:12 AM

I'm going to say it's not suppose to happen and kids just want to have fun. I'm sure all these time they tow boats back and always said "hey we can surf that!" I have no clue if this is an employee or the actual owner of the MB.