PDA

View Full Version : wake plate adjustment for shaping wakeboarding wake

c_stein09
07-23-2018, 05:40 PM
I picked up a new moomba helix about 2 weeks ago. It has autowake which has been somewhat useful, but I am interested to know more about the capability of the wakeplate for shaping my wakeboard wake. I have adjusted it while driving at tow speeds and my ballast full but did not see much change from the drivers seat. As a rider its difficult to have someone adjust the wake while I am riding so i can see a difference. With surfing I've found it best when under 20%. Can someone explain how I can better utilize the wakeplate for wakeboarding?

KnoxMojo
07-23-2018, 06:08 PM
Pitch the nose all the way up for the steepest wake, by lowering the nose, you will decrease the wake size also called mellowing it out, but it will also widen it out. To maintain the same wake to wake distance, you would need to speed up. I only have an up or down gauge, so I cannot tell you what percent, but I will assume 0 is all the way up and 100 is all the way down.

Stazi
07-23-2018, 06:08 PM
With wakeboarding the wakeplate has a significant effect on the height and cleanliness of the wake. At speeds of around 20+ mph the more wakeboarding late you deploy (lower into the water) the flatter the wake will be. Typically when we wakeboard we use it at around 25% which helps clean up the lip and take some mush (whitewash) out of it. Mind you we wakeboard at 22.5-23mph. Basically adjust the speed and amount of wakeplate you use so that the rider gets a clean face all the way to the lip for maximum pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c_stein09
07-24-2018, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. This helps out a lot. Ill try around 25% this weekend and see how it feels.

Stazi
07-24-2018, 01:08 PM
This is my wakeboard wake.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180724/a1fa5bc24b3e3cd95fee6a4a39101c8c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180724/220cdbec412e4be2cce3f8e45a77762a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
07-24-2018, 11:48 PM
Repeating what they said ...

Wakeplate deployed into water will mellow out the wave, making it less abrupt. It should be more consistent but provide less pop.

Wakeplate up and the back of the boat sits further in the water creating a steeper wall, more abrupt.

With young ones or beginners its probably best to mellow it out but once comfortable its hard to give up the pop with the wakeplate up.

Its also a rider preference.

These pics were taken during the same set. Looks like a wakeplate adjustment between the two pics ....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180725/ff545edf71e9583ad392a7db4cb7b85d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180725/7863dd7a9c8e788e6b43b692b87322d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

c_stein09
07-30-2018, 03:30 PM
Thanks KG and Stazi. The pictures are spot on with your explanation. I had a better wake this week with full ballast in the rear and 75% up front and the wakeplate at 20%. Unfortunately my new boat is out of commission for a few days. My gf was loading the boat on the trailer and got into the trailer with the prop. Ordered a new one from OJ this morning and they agreed to repair my old one for no cost with purchase. Never had an issue loading our 2005 x-star. I am hoping this is a freak thing and not something that will lead into me having to back the trailer and load the boat again.

Stazi
07-30-2018, 05:15 PM
Thanks KG and Stazi. The pictures are spot on with your explanation. I had a better wake this week with full ballast in the rear and 75% up front and the wakeplate at 20%. Unfortunately my new boat is out of commission for a few days. My gf was loading the boat on the trailer and got into the trailer with the prop. Ordered a new one from OJ this morning and they agreed to repair my old one for no cost with purchase. Never had an issue loading our 2005 x-star. I am hoping this is a freak thing and not something that will lead into me having to back the trailer and load the boat again.

How did that happen? Unless she got it seriously sideways, you shouldn’t hit anything, as the trailers are made so that when the boat is on the bunks, there is typically tons of room between the bottom of the prop and the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

snyderaaron
07-30-2018, 08:25 PM
I notice sometimes that with the wakeplate all the way up the boat bounces more when in rougher water. I love the steep wake but it becomes inconsistent when hitting these waves. More nose weight helps this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFTR Josh
07-31-2018, 10:22 AM
Now this is just me but any boat I ride I prefer 0 wake plate and go for a steep wake. You might need more bow ballast depending on the people you bring out and the weight. Best I rode a Helix was 3 people total 100% ballast and 0 plate, Helix is one of my favorite wakes.

c_stein09
07-31-2018, 11:09 AM
It was a steep ramp we haven’t used before and I may have been a little deep with the trailer but a 30+ ft fountain was powering up the trailer next to us on the ramp and I think it pushed the boat which was floating more than normal on the trailer. When I had her give a little gas for the extra push up the trailer boat got off center and struck the prop guard