PDA

View Full Version : Electric fuel pump

ddauer12
07-19-2018, 11:00 PM
I cant for the life of me figure out why I'm not getting any power to the fuel pump? I ran all new fuel lines, cleaned the fuel water seperator and replaced and primed it. I can jump the fuel pump and start the pump right up! Once I take the jumper off the pump off goes the motor. I have replace the oil pressure switch on the back of the motor. Check connections and even reclipped the connection. Only issue I'm having is the darn power on the fuel pump! I just replaced it with a new one as well. 98 moomba outback! 350 indmar motor!

parrothd
07-19-2018, 11:25 PM
That doesn't look like the correct oil pressure switch.

mmandley
07-24-2018, 09:28 AM
When you turn the Key on you get no Fuel pump start up?

If thats the case you have to track the fuel power wire to the ECM and make sure your getting a signal from the ECM.

If the pump primes and then stops when you try to start the engine, then the ECM isn't telling the pump to turn on because the other factors aren't happening.

The ECM wants to see a Crank Position Signal, (RPM) to turn on the Ignition and the Fuel Pump.

Now with you saying you can jump the power to the pump on and everything works, I would bet you have a short on the power wire to the fuel pump.

kelauben
07-29-2018, 10:25 AM
I cant for the life of me figure out why I'm not getting any power to the fuel pump? I ran all new fuel lines, cleaned the fuel water seperator and replaced and primed it. I can jump the fuel pump and start the pump right up! Once I take the jumper off the pump off goes the motor. I have replace the oil pressure switch on the back of the motor. Check connections and even reclipped the connection. Only issue I'm having is the darn power on the fuel pump! I just replaced it with a new one as well. 98 moomba outback! 350 indmar motor!

I just got done with this problem on my 98 Moomba Outback. In the end, my 2 year old fuel pump was bad, there was simply no pump pressure.

One of the troubleshooting techniques I used was to check voltages at various points starting with the fuel pump. I ended up finding no voltage at the oil pressure sensor. One solution was to bypass the sensor by connecting the purple and red wires. This made the fuel pump run constantly as soon as the ignition key was turned. This is what led me to finding out the fuel pump was bad. Since you just replaced the pump, this obviously won't be the problem, but bypassing the oil pressure sensor should allow it to get started.

Another technique was to disconnect the fuel line after the pump and using an external power source, try to see if it pumps then.

Good luck and feel free to reach out to me. I lost a weekend on the water due to this and owe my success to this forum.

Karl