PDA

View Full Version : bad vibes = new prop + Cavation???(SP)

Yellowmobius
06-16-2003, 10:54 AM
I have recently posted and only recetnly noticed this.

The boat has some bad vibes when taking off only when I have all the tanks full and about 7 people on board with a guy wakeboarding. If you take off a little slower or let up and get back on it right when the vib starts you can work around it. Is this just cavation from all the weight? Would a stainless prop help correct this? I have ordered a SS prop hoping that is will help.

Yellowmobius
06-18-2003, 08:57 AM
Well I tried the cutter SS prop. The cavation/vib is a lot less but when I am loaded really heavy I still get it a little bit. Anyone else? any ideas?

Also when I am at idle for a turn around I have noticed a slight vib/shake in the steering wheel, it is when I turn really sharp.

Catdog1
06-18-2003, 10:01 PM
OK. How about the cutlass bearing in the strut? How old is the boat?

Brian Raymond
06-19-2003, 12:01 AM
The '02&'03 boats are equipped with the rack style steering system(same as other competitive inboards and Vdrives). The vibration you feel is in the steering cable itself, and will vibrate up to the helm. It will be mostly felt under load, or with full ballast in a right turn. It may also be felt when backing off of dry trailer bunks. The above conditions, and previous statements are , just the nature of the beast. Brian Raymond

Yellowmobius
06-19-2003, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was wondering about the possibility of the strut, I didn't know what it was called. Is it a big deal to replace the strut/bearing? Is it a warrenty item?
This is on a 2001 Mobius Pro with 251 hours on it. This just started and it is different than the vib of the steering cable.
I can feel that in a tight right turn at idle without ballast. I have noticed that there is a little driveshaft play in the strut.
Less than 1/16" up and down movement.