PDA

View Full Version : Issue with 2018 Craz

Ed_Geary
07-14-2018, 04:29 PM
Today some guy brought a 2018 Craz to my neighbors house.

All day long he kept trying to back it into this guys driveway, but couldn't get the boat over a real small grade.

I'm talking a bump that is no more than a foot above a level surface.

Every time he backed into the driveway, and hit this small grade his brakes would lock up.

The trailer actually had a round 7 pin connector on it. He said it came this way from the dealer.

He just bought this boat from the Orlando dealer. Didn't even come with pvc guide pole rollers or pads.

Any idea of what his problem was?

larry_arizona
07-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Something is triggering the reverse solenoid. Without the solenoid active, you can’t back up.

The solenoid is triggered by the trucks reverse lights, it’s the center pin.

Possibly.....
1) truck or trailer ground is bad
2) solenoid is bad

Boatmate trailers come with a key that you insert on the side of the tongue that will allow you to back up your if your reverse solenoid is acting up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed_Geary
07-14-2018, 04:41 PM
I saw that key (about 3" long) and it was installed.

I'm just surprised that this dude spends $60 grand on a boat and can't get it into a driveway. He really didn't know much at all about his boat. I'm just shocked the Orlando dealer let this guy go without a thorough check up and an owner orientation.

He brought it to my neighbor so they could install tower speakers. They ended up parking it in the street

What a shame to treat a new Moomba like this.

larry_arizona
07-14-2018, 04:47 PM
It’s probably his trucks reverse light pin.

Odds are it’s not the trailer. But that is how surge brakes are designed to work.

http://www.boatmateparts.com/faqs.php

rdlangston13
07-14-2018, 07:36 PM
I saw that key (about 3" long) and it was installed.

I'm just surprised that this dude spends $60 grand on a boat and can't get it into a driveway. He really didn't know much at all about his boat. I'm just shocked the Orlando dealer let this guy go without a thorough check up and an owner orientation.

He brought it to my neighbor so they could install tower speakers. They ended up parking it in the street

What a shame to treat a new Moomba like this.

The key you are describing sounds like the key to lock the trailer onto the ball. The key to lock out the brakes from working looks like this https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180714/16465f1d939a1a2be233fececfdddad2.png

zabooda
07-14-2018, 09:48 PM
Did the backup lights work on the trailer? Let us know what the fix is.

korey
07-16-2018, 11:10 AM
When i brought my new boat home I had the same problem, despite my thorough understanding of how it worked. A few things:

The reverse lockout solenoid works to DISENGAGE the brakes and block them from working when in reverse, note ENGAGE them as described above... Your truck has to be wired for a reverse light signal. Most modern trucks with a factory 7 pin round connector are ready to go, but if you're towing with something older, all bets are off.

Without buying the option on the trailer for the 7 pin, the trailer comes with a 5 pin flat connector which is rarely (or never) found on the truck, so you'll need an adapter.

The key they're describing is a manual override for this electronic function. It's in your trailer manual.

Last, my issue was that everything on my truck was working fine, trailer brake lights worked fine, but the reverse lockout solenoid never did it's job. I found a bad ground connection on the solenoid body itself. under the tongue of the trailer, near where the brake line hooks to the solenoid and actuator. Since these trailers are powder coated, electrical grounds can be tough. Once I tightened this connection, zero problems - except for when I forget to plug the lights back in to roll into the garage... But that's user error!

Pound
07-16-2018, 11:51 AM
In my case it was just a fuse.

sandm
07-16-2018, 04:50 PM
always keep nickels in your rig. they do the same thing as the trailer backup key that will get lost at some point.

Ed_Geary
07-17-2018, 11:41 AM
Guys boat did come with a round 7-pin connector on a coiled cord. I asked him if it came like that from the dealer, he said yes. I have no idea if he got it straightened out - I probably will never see him again. I was just curious why a brand new boat had the issues it did.

korey
07-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Honestly, every single brand new boat I've ever been around had some little thing that the dealer needed to address... They're low volume, hand built, complicated machines!

Ed_Geary
07-17-2018, 12:46 PM
I agree with that. Unfortunately this guys dealer didn't thoroughly check out the connection between truck and boat before he drove off the lot.

larry_arizona
07-17-2018, 01:12 PM
I agree with that. Unfortunately this guys dealer didn't thoroughly check out the connection between truck and boat before he drove off the lot.

Keep in mind the buyer has the responsibility to make sure his truck electrical works with the new trailer.

Ed_Geary
07-17-2018, 01:17 PM
Oh absolutely he has that responsibility.

Fortunately, when I bought my Moomba's (Outback and Outback V), I had a dealer that gave me an hour long orientation and actually took my truck and boat for a test run to the lake. Made sure everything was perfect before I started home.

Watersports of Central Florida. The downturn in the economy killed them and with them went awesome customer service for Orlando.

Ed_Geary
07-17-2018, 01:37 PM
P.S. meant to state ...Oh absolutely he has that responsibility. I also think that the dealer has the responsibility to make sure the trailer works with the tow vehicle :)

zabooda
07-17-2018, 01:41 PM
P.S. meant to state ...Oh absolutely he has that responsibility. I also think that the dealer has the responsibility to make sure the trailer works with the tow vehicle :)

You are speculating the trailer was bad. At $100/hour for an employee to make a person's vehicle work is costly to the company so they "assume" their trailer is working normally with the testing done at the manufacturer.

Ed_Geary
07-17-2018, 01:52 PM
I am speculating that the problem and the cause should have been identified before the guy left the dealers lot.

slimski
08-10-2018, 08:10 PM
We had the same problem on our 2017 Mojo. Found out the blue wire that overrides the surge brakes was pinched by the swing arm on the tongue. I would check the wiring there. Hope the helps

Dtbradly
08-11-2018, 08:01 AM
My truck actually had a blown fuse that controlled the part of the 7 pin that overrides the surge brakes. Had never used the 7 pin connector either. Took a bit to figure that one out