PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a rapid hitch?

Leirhiht
07-11-2018, 08:40 PM
So I got a new truck with a lift and decided to get an aluminum rapid hitch. Has anyone used one or know someone who has? I already bought it and started to get concerned after I saw a photo online of one broken from the hitch when they were towing a mastercraft, although I think the truck wasn't as tall as mine and they hit the ground with the hitch.
Just towing an 08 moomba mobius lsv

Broke Pilot
07-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Andersen makes good hitches, but yes I’ve heard of some failures with the aluminum ones. One of them though the guys wife backed into a concrete barrier and bent it. Then it failed. Seems like most of the failures happen after a pretty good shock.
If you have the option to return it, I highly recommend the BW stow n tow. Best hitch I’ve ever owned. I love that I can flip it up under the truck and have a big steel Prius catcher still and not bang my shins on a ball when I’m not paying attention. Lol

Broke Pilot
07-11-2018, 09:19 PM
And I don’t want it to sound like I’m dogging Andersen... my parents use them and my sister towing her $100k 3 day event horses all around Arizona.
I’m just not a fan of aluminum in general. When it gets worked it can fatigue just as any metal can, aluminum is just soft. Aircraft have a life span, I think aluminum hitches should too! Lol

larry_arizona
07-11-2018, 09:20 PM
What weight capacity is it rated for? You are only as safe as the weakest link in your hitch set up,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevemarich
07-11-2018, 10:05 PM
I had the 10" drop rapid hitch for a couple of years before it got stolen, at the dealer of all places when a recall was being done, 10k rating and pushed it all the time with no issues. The aluminum ones do make a guy a little leery, but it lasted way longer than the weight safe that replaced it, that one only made it a year, and now back to running another 10" drop rapid hitch. 10k on 2 5/16 ball and 8k on 2" ball

rdlangston13
07-11-2018, 10:59 PM
I had the 10" drop rapid hitch for a couple of years before it got stolen, at the dealer of all places when a recall was being done, 10k rating and pushed it all the time with no issues. The aluminum ones do make a guy a little leery, but it lasted way longer than the weight safe that replaced it, that one only made it a year, and now back to running another 10" drop rapid hitch. 10k on 2 5/16 ball and 8k on 2" ball

What happened to the weigh safe?

stevemarich
07-11-2018, 11:06 PM
The bore where the ball drops into had egged out over 1/4" and wasn't real comfortable with it, and the built in lock to change balls had seized as well, that happened after 6 months, was stuck with the 2" ball.

What happened to the weigh safe?

moparsigfan
07-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Be aware that that the only aluminum drop hitch I was able to find that was rated any more than 13k lb was the weigh safe. Ok, 13k lb is way more than a boat and trailer will weigh but I like the additional safety factor of a true class V hitch when towing!!

korey
07-12-2018, 11:16 AM
I was considering one of these, mainly because I have to swap to a much lower drop to get my boat in the garage (tow with a 2-3" drop but need 6 or 8" to get it in the garage). I was thinking that this might allow me to drop without completely unhooking. Right now that whole process is a PITA because the 8" drop that I have is a different length than the 2-3" i tow with. Add to it, there is a slight hill, so rolling the boat by hand is not an option and it doesn't fall on the ball unless its near perfect (again because of the hill, wheels are chocked). Anyone use something like the Anderson Rapid hitch to adjust tongue level without unhooking? Any other products out there for that? I saw an ad for the Rhino this week, but that looks a little too "mousetrappy" for me..
http://www.downvids.net/video/bestimages/img-the-amazing-rhino-hitch-254.jpg

dusty2221
07-12-2018, 11:17 AM
Does B&W not have the best option with the Tow N Stow?

Broke Pilot
07-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Yes they do... and technically you could adjust it by pulling the pins and using the wheel on the trailer.

bluice311
07-12-2018, 12:22 PM
My Andersen Rapid Hitch has worked great! I used it on a lowered Tundra (rise configuration) and now on a lifted F250 (drop configuration), pulling 5 different trailers/heights. I went with Andersen because it gave the exact range of rise/drop options I needed (4" Drop - 4" Rise as compared to the 3" Drop - 3.5" Rise B&W Tow&Stow). One benefit of the B&W is that it can rotate out of the way when not in use; saves some length on your vehicle and protects your shins haha

Broke Pilot
07-12-2018, 06:22 PM
They have a 5,7 and 9” drop/rise size also. I use the 5 on my Cummins with the 4.5” lift and I still don’t need it all the way down.

stevemarich
07-12-2018, 06:40 PM
With the 6" lift and 37s I like using the 10" drop for the boat, the 8" works and sits pretty good, but I have noticed with the 10" I can actually average getting more fuel in the boat at most gas stations. With 8" I could never get enough in to where when on the water the gauge would read full, would be between full and 3/4 , and would always end up at 1/2 tank just before 3 hours, with the 10" it sits on full for little over an hour, almost get an extra 1.5 hours on the water, makes it nice, since 80% time we go out, we go until were almost empty.

larry_arizona
07-12-2018, 07:34 PM
Are truck lifts a Texas thing?

Broke Pilot
07-12-2018, 10:18 PM
No, we just do it best! Lol
Fuel mileage is for suckers...
http://i.imgur.com/CNO8G1W.jpg (http://imgur.com/CNO8G1W)

stevemarich
07-14-2018, 12:58 AM
Are truck lifts a Texas thing?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNope , just a personal preference https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180714/8a82e94a175d6fb5448964470a63da0b.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
07-14-2018, 08:30 AM
No, we just do it best! Lol
Fuel mileage is for suckers...
http://i.imgur.com/CNO8G1W.jpg (http://imgur.com/CNO8G1W)

That’s right, keep me working lol

Broke Pilot
07-14-2018, 01:42 PM
Same here... as much as I don’t wanna be putting $4/gallon gas in my boat, that’s job security in aviation too.