PDA

View Full Version : Cooked Seals on 2008, easy fix?? Help Please...

KurtL
07-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Hi,
I had a slight mishap in summarization this past weekend with a hose and ruined impeller. Realized what was happening, shut engine down and was towed back in. I replaced the impeller the next day and boat runs great. Now I have 3-4 slow drips in the exhaust system. Can these be fixed by just tightening bolts? The plastic connectors (which are the main leaks) warped? Anyone have experience with this? Again minor leaks, just was a nearly water tight engine compartment for 10 years. See pics.

Thanks,

Kurt

DOCDRS
07-09-2018, 11:52 PM
ok, you are pointing to the riser manifold gasket ,the exhaust gasket, and the exhaust manifold coolant elbow. 3-4 drips how often and from where. you could just monitor or reseal or replace the elbows....I would reseal first. the others I would see if the bolts were tight. but you prob have already figured this out

KurtL
07-10-2018, 11:26 AM
Yes, the elbow seems to be the majority albeit minor source of the drips on both sides. not enough to make the bilge pump come on after running motor at 2500 rpm for 20 minutes. Maybe one small drip every 15-30 seconds. Is there some type of seal/gasket for those nylon elbows? I'm having a tough time telling. Was able to find the elbows themselves online at Inboardonline.com but didn't see a seal. Thanks for the help!

JesseC
07-13-2018, 03:53 PM
If it was my boat, I would pull the old plastic 90 degree elbows and replace them. Coat them with some pipe dope and thread in the new ones.

The risers, I would give serious thought to replacing the leaking gaskets. Hopefully it just burned the gaskets and did not warp the metal. Good luck.

trayson
07-13-2018, 04:12 PM
I have a brass fitting that can replace one of the nylon elbows. I'd be happy to sell it to you for less than what I paid. I was going to use them on both sides, but I don't have clearance for it on my 340CAT ETX.

I'll have to scrounge up a pic, but it's a 2 piece version of this:
https://www.skidim.com/images/0812.jpg

For around a dollar you can get one from the plumbing store, but they don't stand up to the heat. they litterally got rubbery soft. The OEM nylon ones are okay until you have an overheat issue like you did. Go brass and never look back.