PDA

View Full Version : Ballst: To manifold or not to manifold? That is the question?

ssevey17
07-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Title says it all. I'm getting ready to install a ballast system from scratch on my 2000 Mobius V. I'm wondering If I should consider manifolding the three fill pumps or to do individual thru hull fittings for each pump? I'm using that Tsunami pumps and have three for fill and free for drain. I think manifolding would make for an easier install, but I don't want to choke my pumps. I'm fine with fill times around 7-10 minutes. That's not the end of the world for me...

Thanks in advance.

kaneboats
07-05-2018, 10:50 AM
I scrapped my manifold and built a bigger one then scrapped it completely in a later revision. Now I have dual pumps to each rear bag off of two thru-hulls with two hoses running to each. Fills fast. Used check valves to keep water from draining. Route your empty lines to the opposite sides to prevent draining through the drain pumps. Then I have a single thru hull with a single pump going up front. Piggybacked a small IBS off the front bag. Takes a little longer than the rears to fill but we usually start by filling only the front bag for wakeboarding with the smaller kids so I'm ahead of the game when we fill to surf.

MLA
07-05-2018, 11:18 AM
A manifold in of itself, will not choke the pumps. Ideally, you would want a manifold that can support the flow of the pumps. This can be done. The issue with a common manifold for 3 or more aerator pumps, is having room for the complete setup and room to orient the pump bodies and outlet, in order to prevent air lock. Shallow and/of cramped bilges are not favorable to aerator pumps and a large common manifold can compound the issue.

jcarter20
07-05-2018, 03:33 PM
I scrapped the garbage sprinkler pump system in my 05 Supra and replaced it with the wakemakers upgrade kit. It was $1,000 but worth every penny. I installed 2 new thru Hull fittings. Don’t be scared, it was not hard. Just follow their instructions to a T and you will be fine. Personally, I don’t see how you would NOT be chocking off some flow by manifolding multiple pumps. If you are combining 3 pumps with 1” hose into one thru hull fitting, it has to reduce flow. Unless I am misunderstanding how you are proposing to install it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLA
07-05-2018, 03:54 PM
I don’t see how you would NOT be chocking off some flow by manifolding multiple pumps. If you are combining 3 pumps with 1” hose into one thru hull fitting, it has to reduce flow.

Thats because you inserted your own "hose" size, rather then make a calculation based on flow rate. How did you come up with 1"?

As stated above;

Ideally, you would want a manifold that can support the flow of the pumps.

jcarter20
07-05-2018, 04:12 PM
Thats because you inserted your own "hose" size, rather then make a calculation based on flow rate. How did you come up with 1"?

As stated above;

I had 3 pumps going to 3 bags using 1” dia hose. If all 3 of those are either filling or draining from one single 3/4” through hull fitting, I would assume it would choke off some supply. I am guessing that is why wakemakers sells two additional thru hull fittings with the kit. However, no I did not make any flow rate calculations. In my opinion it would be no different than hooking up a 3/4” garden hose to a wall hydrant, then splitting (3ea) 1” hoses off that. You can only supply as much water as the single 3/4” hose will flow.

MLA
07-05-2018, 04:30 PM
I had 3 pumps going to 3 bags using 1” dia hose. If all 3 of those are either filling or draining from one single 3/4” through hull fitting, I would assume it would choke off some supply. I am guessing that is why wakemakers sells two additional thru hull fittings with the kit. However, no I did not make any flow rate calculations. In my opinion it would be no different than hooking up a 3/4” garden hose to a wall hydrant, then splitting (3ea) 1” hoses off that. You can only supply as much water as the single 3/4” hose will flow.

First off, the pumps the OP is using is unknown at this point, and so far, I dont know what your pumps are either. The OP stated "Tsunami", but thats series of pumps, not a specific pump. You can get a 500, 800 and 1200 in the Tsunami line.

Once the pump's flow rate is known, its easy to build a manifold with a flow rate to more than supply the chosen pumps.

A 1" manifold, as in 1" from hull to pump, can support 3 500 GPH pumps, no worries. it can support 3 800, but getting a little close, so I prefer a 1.25" A 1" can support 2 1200 GPH pumps, but a 1.25" setup is best for 3-4. The entire intake setup has to accommodate the flow, not just the section the pumps connect to.

In your setup, it sounds as if you used an existing .75" thru-hull for 3 pumps of whatever GPH. This could be an issue. The OP says he's starting from scratch, so a mistake easily avoided during his design phase, as stated.

ssevey17
07-05-2018, 05:30 PM
Sorry for the confusion guys! I'm using (3) 800 gph pumps.

jmvotto
07-06-2018, 07:10 AM
Your going to need at least 6 pump with individual fill and drains and then you need to do three anti siphon loops on all the fill lines

Going reversible is your best bet and will add some value to the boat as well

ssevey17
07-06-2018, 08:39 AM
Joe, Sorry I was talking about fill pumps. I have (3) 800 gph fill pumps that I'm debating to manifold or not. I then have (3) separate drain pumps (also 800 gph). And I'm using electric ball valves instead of sprinkler valves

MLA
07-06-2018, 09:40 AM
You seriously do no need those electric ball valves. KISS.

kaneboats
07-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Well, you may want to keep one of them for your center bag under the floor level because it is so close to the water line. Or, if you do not cut off the original scupper on the thru hull. You may see unwanted filling of the center bag.

jmvotto
07-06-2018, 09:40 PM
No need for manifold with three separate fill pumps and motorized ball valves

Manifold is only need to split one fill pump

FYI Scott where are you boating these days

ssevey17
07-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Joe, I've been going out on Cowanesque Lake just down 15 into PA