PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Moomba Kanga - how much should I pay?

Jimmyboulton
07-03-2018, 04:41 PM
Hi all! I am new to this forum and am in need of your help! I am 24 years old in pilot training and am looking for my first boat. I am looking for something that would be good at wake boarding as well as hilling. The one I’m looking at has around 600 hours and from the pictures ( I posted a few) looks nice. How much should I pay and what are some things I should know when checking it out?

Jimmyboulton
07-04-2018, 12:49 PM
Any help with pricing of this boat?

Broke Pilot
07-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the forum... first things first, I’d say pick a different career! lol something with a future.

NADA boat prices will get you in the ball park. What’s he asking for it?
As far as things to look for, look at everything. Make sure you get to see it on the trailer first. That way you know it’s a cold start when you put in the water and you can check out the hull.
Make sure everything works. Lights, bilge, switches, everything.
If you have a moomba/Supra dealer close, I’m sure they’d do a pre buy inspection for a couple hundred $$.
At the end of the day as long as you’re happy with the deal, you didn’t overpay. These are toys, period.
Good luck, and if you want to surf, I’d look for something v-drive. It can be done, but you’ll progress out of that boat quickly I’d imagine.

Jimmyboulton
07-04-2018, 03:05 PM
It’s air Force pilot training so I’m getting paid to fly jets so I’d say that’s not a bad career lol but back to it he is firm at 12k. Also, would a 2001 Supra launch be a better fit for me ?

Broke Pilot
07-05-2018, 01:22 AM
Ah, well congrats on an Air Force slot! And thank you for the service. I wouldn’t change anything about the career either. Getting paid to sit and have the best view ever is something amazing.
If you wanna surf a launch would be a better boat. Anything v drive.

Jimmyboulton
07-05-2018, 06:44 PM
I should of known by your name lol. Still curious price of 12k fair or go with a 2001 Supra launch for 15k?

jcarter20
07-05-2018, 08:30 PM
For $3k more, I would go V drive unless you are a die hard slalom skier. That is of course if the boat is in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
07-05-2018, 08:32 PM
if it was my coin, I'd take the vdrive over a dd anyday. better to surf with and the layout is a lot more "friendly" to having others on the boat when you sit and chill since there's no motor box eating up conversation space.
if I was a hardcore slalom skier the kanga would be a no-brainer.

guess it just depends on what and how you are going to use the boat. don't get sucked in by all the pretty neon lights. all of that can be added later. at that age, look for a boat that has been well taken care of, owners that seem to care, and not going to need either gel/drivetrain/upholstery work down the road. that will be a major expense. bling is cheaper and can be added while still using the boat.

good luck.

Broke Pilot
07-05-2018, 08:34 PM
That ^^... if you want to surf at all, get a v drive.

Jimmyboulton
07-06-2018, 08:57 AM
What type of v-drive should I be looking up then?

kaneboats
07-06-2018, 12:43 PM
Largest hull you can afford.