PDA

View Full Version : Snap On Cover.

twisters6
07-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there has experience with a snap on style cover. Wondering if it is good for trailering, where is a good place to find one and if it is a pretty easy install? I'm looking for this style because quite often I leave my boat in a slip without a lift, and my mooring cover is very hard to put on there as well as part of it is actually in the water.

Stazi
07-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Don’t do it!!!!

It’s the worst thing even for a wakeboard boat and ruins the gel coat with spider cracks from the holes and leaches rust stains, even with stainless screws etc.

Plus no one needs a new torn butthole sliding over a snap.

The previous owner of my buddy’s boat did a snap on cover on his XLV, and we all curse him ever time we use the boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New Guy
07-03-2018, 02:59 PM
I have one and I don't mind it. Easy to run just the bow cover in colder weather, also the morning cover sucks to put on in the water / on a lift. If it would have been added after factory I don't know if I would have done it. I'm 50/50 on it.

Kidder522
07-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Yep. I agree. I have the factory snap on and wish it didn’t. Top deck sits in the sun and oxidizes very quickly. It is fine for trailering but the sun just bakes the top. Won’t get a boat with it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parrothd
07-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Yep. I agree. I have the factory snap on and wish it didn’t. Top deck sits in the sun and oxidizes very quickly. It is fine for trailering but the sun just bakes the top. Won’t get a boat with it again.

Best investment for me, depends on how often you use the boat. I trailer with it and the time savings is killer for me. We boat a lot and leave it in a slip. We're in the slip and cover on in minutes.. :)

pslitty
07-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Don’t do it!!!!

It’s the worst thing even for a wakeboard boat and ruins the gel coat with spider cracks from the holes and leaches rust stains, even with stainless screws etc.

The previous owner of my buddy’s boat did a snap on cover on his XLV, and we all curse him ever time we use the boat.

I’m that buddy and I agree, don’t do it!

996scott
07-03-2018, 03:49 PM
I have had one on every boat i have had including my LSV and i love them! Especially if you are towing. They stay on nice and tight and don't rub on the boat like the storage covers. I have never had anyone get caught on a snap, never had one ounce of rust, and never any spiderwebbing of the gel coat. I wouldn't use one for long term outdoor storage but for towing they are the best.

Prospersigman
07-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Had snap on cover on my Mojo and hated every minute of it. Snaps on the very nose of the bow never stay snapped while trailering, not nearly as clean looking to see all those snaps all the way around the boat, like stated above snag your ....hole, stomach and anything else that sits and slides off the sides. Mooring cover with the ratchet straps in the back is the only way to go.

parrothd
07-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Don’t do it!!!!

Sounds like someone used cheap snaps and a bad install, they don't rust and you have to use the right size drill and counter sink to prevent cracking. However they do leave dirt trails on the hull.

zabooda
07-03-2018, 03:57 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there has experience with a snap on style cover. Wondering if it is good for trailering, where is a good place to find one and if it is a pretty easy install? I'm looking for this style because quite often I leave my boat in a slip without a lift, and my mooring cover is very hard to put on there as well as part of it is actually in the water.

Perfect reason for a snap on cover. You need to have one for the bow anyway for weather and the cockpit cover is much much easier to install on the water than a full cover. I had both a better version of the Evolution cover and the snap on and both trailered well. The snap on cover was tight so there was never any sag. Only way to get one is to get your local boat cover maker to make one for you.

Edo88
07-03-2018, 05:17 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180703/38f14d537d4ae1ca4914af9b60f58f23.jpg

I have one for my boat I love it but it doesn’t really keep dust out to well and I would only use it in a garage style storage, and I wouldn’t recommend towing with it on.

Jordy Dag
07-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Call cory at evolution covers! Dont get a snap on cover as stated numerous times

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

kaneboats
07-05-2018, 10:43 AM
May depend on the model of boat. I have the two snap on covers for the LSV and really like them. Very easy to put on. I tow with them on-- but usually only once or twice a year to vacations as the boat is in the garage or towed less than an hour the rest of the time.

engrguy
06-05-2020, 05:36 PM
I have a snap cover on my Outback and can never get it snapped. What is the trick to it? And the sequence? Do you start in the middle on a the straight or in the corner? What about those pogo sticks when do you put those in?

parrothd
06-05-2020, 05:56 PM
I have a snap cover on my Outback and can never get it snapped. What is the trick to it? And the sequence? Do you start in the middle on a the straight or in the corner? What about those pogo sticks when do you put those in?

Add chapstick to the snaps. I always start in the passenger windshield corner from the inside work my way to the driver side chair. Then go back to the starting corner and snap all the side to the back. Attach the straps, then got out of the boat and hit the remaining snap from outside side. Total time about 2 minutes. Lol

zabooda
06-05-2020, 06:20 PM
My snapon cover was so tight that I didn't have any support posts or straps. Start at the windshield and work back. Getting the cover warm helps to stretch it.

engrguy
06-06-2020, 09:53 AM
Ill try the windshield trick and work back words. It fits as It was on and I know it is very tight and having a warm day helps. I was hoping there was a tool of some kind to grab the edge and pull on it that doesn't damage it, I did want to use pliers and the such.