PDA

View Full Version : Prop Shaft coupler

OHSupra
07-02-2018, 09:27 AM
My prop shaft coupler separated and all 4 bolts came out while using the boat last week. With some help I replaced the bolts with stainless bolts and lock washers/ nuts. Had to change prop as shaft pushed prop into rudder. Everything feels pretty good, however, when I was replacing the prop I noticed reasonable leak around shaft seal dripping down to me (at the time i had a heater hose leak and could feel the hot water from the bilge)

What else should I be looking at/ checking on besides the shaft seal possibly?

Thanks

parrothd
07-02-2018, 09:34 AM
My prop shaft coupler separated and all 4 bolts came out while using the boat last week. With some help I replaced the bolts with stainless bolts and lock washers/ nuts. Had to change prop as shaft pushed prop into rudder. Everything feels pretty good, however, when I was replacing the prop I noticed reasonable leak around shaft seal dripping down to me (at the time i had a heater hose leak and could feel the hot water from the bilge)

What else should I be looking at/ checking on besides the shaft seal possibly?

Thanks

When you run it if there's a vibration the shaft is bent. This may be why the coupler came apart in the first place and may have worn the shaft seal too. Should check the alignment too.

OHSupra
07-02-2018, 10:11 AM
No vibration, feels really good, still runs strong and smooth...

VA LSV
07-02-2018, 10:49 AM
The shaft seal should pass water to cool the mating surfaces.

DOCDRS
07-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Just because you dont feel any vibration does not mean your shaft is not bent. Since everything came apart the alignment has not been checked in some time. The shaft seal will fail if there is not proper alignment and or a bent shaft. You had it all apart, thats 75% of checking alignment. As above the water going to the seal cools it and should be from the tranny cooler not the exhaust. No water should be leaking into the boat at the seal.

gcnettl
07-04-2018, 12:29 AM
Alignment of the motor to the shaft. Shaft needs to be centered in the shaft log. Motor mounts need to be looked at and bushings replaced if extrusion of the rubber bushing is occurring. Check you’re cutlass bearing/strut for wear and replace those bushings if needed. Use poly-locknuts on your 4 coupling bolts. Like others mentioned check the shaft for straightness. If you don’t know how or don’t want to buy a dial indicator from harbor freight, the take the shaft to any machine shop and have them check the TIR total indicates runout on the shaft. Should not be more than a few thousandths of an inch. If it is, you have a bent shaft and will need to be replaced. Check the shaft where the shaft seal area is. If it is worn, or has nicks scratches or grooves then either trim some of the boot off your new seal so that the seal area is on a good area of the shaft or replace the shaft.