PDA

View Full Version : Boating Etiquette

SorryCharlie
06-29-2018, 09:49 AM
Just wondering how you guys treat other boaters on the lake. I'm on a large lake with plenty of room for boaters. When I'm just riding around or pulling a tube, I try to stay away from boats that are pulling skiers or surfers, etc. I also try to go behind the boat that's pulling instead of crossing their path from the front. I just got really irritated last weekend because a couple of boats flew right across our front and had plenty of room to go around us. Of course our surfer fell because of the wakes just created. Maybe I'm wrong here, but seems like alot of boaters don't have any courtesy at all.

moparsigfan
06-29-2018, 09:54 AM
I feel this is more a case of people simply not educating themselves on boater safety. How to maneuver around other boats is part of the USCG rules for watercraft. I wasn’t required to but I still took it upon myself to complete a USCG and State certified boaters safety course online. Didn’t cost much and was extremely informative.
It amazes me that licenses are not required for operating watercraft!!
I also get angered by people who don’t do things properly but at least I know enough to avoid incidents with those folks!
Be prepared and be safe because not everyone else is a conscientious as you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5:00
06-29-2018, 10:35 AM
There are too many people on lakes who don't know what they are doing and you will see them this holiday season especially. There are a lot of people who will be piloting someone else's boat and renters. PWC's are something that gets loaned to a friend who knows nothing of the rules at all.
Before I got my boaters license I at least looked at the rules. My rule for myself was stay as far away from others as possible. I have had my license for years and that rule still applies.

The other people are those who have licenses but don't understand the dynamics of surfing or boarding and don't know that the water needs to stay clean. Then there are the fishermen who figure they own the lake and FU for being out here so I am going to cut across your bow for being on my lake. Not all are like that and they are the exception but they are out there.

larry_arizona
06-29-2018, 10:39 AM
Lots of idiots out there doing whatever suits them, it’s selfish yes, but I take the high road and simply get away from them.

Pound
06-29-2018, 11:39 AM
I predict no less than 4 pages of responses to this discussion...

dakota4ce
06-29-2018, 01:01 PM
All begging for some way to make regular people exercise common sense which never ever will happen.

zabooda
06-29-2018, 01:19 PM
Most people don't have a clue if they don't have boards on their boat. Most people will understand if you kindly let them know. If they persist, then make you presence uncomfortable for them done legally like making standing waves or cruise around them and your super obnoxious music and carry ear plugs.

jcarter20
06-29-2018, 08:13 PM
I think what can’t be over looked are the morons who decide they want to buy a wake boat one day just because “surfing looks fun”. These are the people out there doing power turns to pick up their dropped skier and screwing up the water for the rest of us who understand you need to pull back to idol and let the roller go past, then turn 180 and get your skier. It kills me when I see a brand new $100k boat with no boards on it and a huge ass tube strapped behind. Those are the dipsh*ts who have now driven up the cost of our wake boats to be completely unreasonable.

dakota4ce
07-01-2018, 12:13 AM
I think what can’t be over looked are the morons who decide they want to buy a wake boat one day just because “surfing looks fun”. These are the people out there doing power turns to pick up their dropped skier and screwing up the water for the rest of us who understand you need to pull back to idol and let the roller go past, then turn 180 and get your skier. It kills me when I see a brand new $100k boat with no boards on it and a huge ass tube strapped behind. Those are the dipsh*ts who have now driven up the cost of our wake boats to be completely unreasonable.

[emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]
🤣🤣🤣

dakota4ce
07-01-2018, 08:16 AM
Just screamed at a guy last evening. Didn’t yield at all to us while we were pulling a surfer. We had to shut down to avoid him.

Normally I don’t say much except for when it’s dangerous.

larry_arizona
07-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Lots of people going the wrong direction yesterday. Again, just need to be defensive and get away from the idiots.

It amazes me how many people go full bore in the clockwise rotation (Michigan is counterclockwise)on inland lakes.

sandm
07-01-2018, 08:40 PM
It kills me when I see a brand new $100k boat with no boards on it and a huge ass tube strapped behind. Those are the dipsh*ts who have now driven up the cost of our wake boats to be completely unreasonable.

keeping in mind the more boats Skiers Choice sells the better volume pricing they are able to offer since they are in a better position buying all the pieces/parts that go into a boat. if they were only building 10 boats a year, imagine the cost of hand laid fiberglas vs the molds they use since they are building more boats for tube pullers.
we had a few days on the lake that it didn't make sense to surf and was just easier to join the masses with a tube. still a fun day on the water and wait for calmer days to surf rather than getting upset.

but back to the op, there is a general lack of respect for others on the waters anymore and with boat sales ticking up year after year it isn't going to get better.

jcarter20
07-02-2018, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=sandm;327815]keeping in mind the more boats Skiers Choice sells the better volume pricing they are able to offer since they are in a better position buying all the pieces/parts that go into a boat. if they were only building 10 boats a year, imagine the cost of hand laid fiberglas vs the molds they use since they are building more boats for tube pullers.
QUOTE]

Bottom line is the supply and demand. The economy is good, people are spending money, and why wouldn't the boating industry increase prices if the market will bear it. In 2008 a new Supra 22 SSV was roughly $56,000. The starting MSRP of a new 2018 SA 400 is $121,500, which is a 117% increase. I realize that is comparing apples and oranges, because of the vast advances in wakeboats in the last 10 years. However, even taking into account inflation and all the fancy add-ons there is no way the cost of boat should have increased that much. I would have loved to own my second Supra, but couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $25k-$30k. It just sucks for people who are die hard wakeboarders or surfers like myself, and you can't afford a new boat until your too old to do it anymore. Not that I am there yet, but 40 is rapidly approaching for this guy!

dakota4ce
07-02-2018, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=sandm;327815]keeping in mind the more boats Skiers Choice sells the better volume pricing they are able to offer since they are in a better position buying all the pieces/parts that go into a boat. if they were only building 10 boats a year, imagine the cost of hand laid fiberglas vs the molds they use since they are building more boats for tube pullers.
QUOTE]

Bottom line is the supply and demand. The economy is good, people are spending money, and why wouldn't the boating industry increase prices if the market will bear it. In 2008 a new Supra 22 SSV was roughly $56,000. The starting MSRP of a new 2018 SA 400 is $121,500, which is a 117% increase. I realize that is comparing apples and oranges, because of the vast advances in wakeboats in the last 10 years. However, even taking into account inflation and all the fancy add-ons there is no way the cost of boat should have increased that much. I would have loved to own my second Supra, but couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $25k-$30k. It just sucks for people who are die hard wakeboarders or surfers like myself, and you can't afford a new boat until your too old to do it anymore. Not that I am there yet, but 40 is rapidly approaching for this guy!

The solution exists: it’s called Moomba.

larry_arizona
07-02-2018, 02:19 PM
QUOTE]

I guess the real question should be if your new moomba is better for what you do than your 2005 Supra.

dakota4ce
07-02-2018, 02:25 PM
-good point there too!

millerda68
07-02-2018, 02:28 PM
Just wondering how you guys treat other boaters on the lake. I'm on a large lake with plenty of room for boaters. When I'm just riding around or pulling a tube, I try to stay away from boats that are pulling skiers or surfers, etc. I also try to go behind the boat that's pulling instead of crossing their path from the front. I just got really irritated last weekend because a couple of boats flew right across our front and had plenty of room to go around us. Of course our surfer fell because of the wakes just created. Maybe I'm wrong here, but seems like alot of boaters don't have any courtesy at all.
Fully agree and agree with many of the other comments. People are idiots and clueless. We had someone tailgating us while pulling a surfer. The rider fell and the other boat was within 20' of running her over. I had to power turn and head directly back at the boat following us to get them to veer off course. They though the whole thing was a joke.

Frequently cut off, people going the wrong direction, clueless of what is going on around them, people flying through no wake zones. We have begun complaining directly to the sheriff department. We can provide boat description, tag #'ers, and event details to them and they will follow up. This past weekend was the first weekend I have seen the patrol boat take any action.

jcarter20
07-02-2018, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=jcarter20;327840]

I guess the real question should be if your new moomba is better for what you do than your 2005 Supra.

Absolutely it is. I have 2 small kids and it has twice the amount of storage as the Supra did. Since I am getting more into surfing now, the bimini board storage is awesome. The autowake is a huge upgrade, the 6 pump ballast system, the capability to add much more ballast, the surf tabs, a cleaner and better wakeboard wake, gatorstep flooring....are just a few upgrades that I love. In my opinion (at least so far) Moomba is the best value for what you get on the market. I have buddies with other "entry level" boats and I would not trade my new Craz for any other brand. So did I need a Supra...No, but I do like the extra bling they have. :)

larry_arizona
07-02-2018, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=larry_arizona;327856]

Absolutely it is. I have 2 small kids and it has twice the amount of storage as the Supra did. Since I am getting more into surfing now, the bimini board storage is awesome. The autowake is a huge upgrade, the 6 pump ballast system, the capability to add much more ballast, the surf tabs, a cleaner and better wakeboard wake, gatorstep flooring....are just a few upgrades that I love. In my opinion (at least so far) Moomba is the best value for what you get on the market. I have buddies with other "entry level" boats and I would not trade my new Craz for any other brand. So did I need a Supra...No, but I do like the extra bling they have. :)

Perfect!!!

kaneboats
07-04-2018, 09:52 AM
We stay off the water completely on the major holidays. Kind of sad really but there is usually no good water all day (after 10 am) so no big deal. We avoid the danger of the idiots and the extra cop patrols. Most of all, we avoid the ramp where idiots reign. Have a safe day today everybody. We'll be at a kids' event then hanging out by the pool.

larry_arizona
07-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Lake was busy today but suddenly everyone had manners!!!! Great day!!!

AtTheRiver
07-05-2018, 04:04 PM
Lots of people going the wrong direction yesterday. Again, just need to be defensive and get away from the idiots.

It amazes me how many people go full bore in the clockwise rotation (Michigan is counterclockwise)on inland lakes.

I think some if not most of the etiquette issues are ignorance. When I read this post, I was like they have wrong directions on lakes??? If I would have been 1st boat out on a MI inland lake there would be a 50/50 chance I would have got it right. When I approach other boats / people about etiquette, I tried to start it off as an educational moment, something like: See that other boat over there, they probably do not realize......

larry_arizona
07-05-2018, 04:53 PM
Michigan does have some interesting boating laws/rules.

1) counter clockwise direction on the lake makes sense (one way traffic is safer)

2) at the ramp, an incoming boat has ramp priority over a boat on the lake trying to get out. (Only makes sense if there are open parking spots for truck and trailer)

3) you can drink and drive while boating, you of course need to be under .08 BAC and if you do blow over it’s a ticket BUT does not count against your driving record. I got to say that’s a headscratcher right there.

The one rule I see a lot of people break is standing at the helm at wide open throttle.

I simply don’t understand why people do this, often standing to the left and steering with right hand and no where near throttle.

kaneboats
07-06-2018, 12:49 PM
The one rule I see a lot of people break is standing at the helm at wide open throttle.
I simply don’t understand why people do this, often standing to the left and steering with right hand and no where near throttle.

Ha ha. I do this on the way back to the ramp all the time. Just trying to dry out my shorts before the 40 min. drive home. Stand in the walkway to get more air.

Prospersigman
07-06-2018, 01:58 PM
Ha ha. I do this on the way back to the ramp all the time. Just trying to dry out my shorts before the 40 min. drive home. Stand in the walkway to get more air.

Make that 2 of us...every time and my shorts are dry before I get half way back. Swimsuit material has come a long way that stuff dries in a matter of minutes.

larry_arizona
07-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Lol, although your reason make sense, the gentlemen I witnessed did not appear to be drying themselves at speed.

If they got booted, oh man, unmanned boat at WOT!!!