PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Issues

MMPRES
06-25-2018, 04:28 PM
I have a pair of Rev 10s on my tower formerly powered by a Rockford Fosgate 1000W amp. Up until recently, the system had been operating fine. Last weekend one of the speakers was crackling and the other had no sound coming out of it. Dealer helped me diagnose the problem and determined that the amp had blown. Initially, he (head of service) had told me that it would be a warranty replacement issue and they could get me fixed up. Turns out, with my boat, since it was a 2016 and they installed this setup at the dealership (apparently, Skier's Choice is now doing this at the factory), the manufacturer (boat) warranty would not apply and the manufacturer (amp) warranty only lasts a year. I'm on summer #2. :( So I need to replace my amp. I have a few questions. I was happy with the clarity and overall power of the sound with the 1000W, so not sure I want to go any lower. The dealer stated that they regularly equip 600 W amps with the Rev 10s. So am I overdoing it? Was there something intrinsically wrong I did electing to go with that combination that set me up for failure (I.E.: pushing too much power/overloading the amp)? Or was this just a fluke as all electronics have a tendency to just go out for no apparent reason? I like to use my stereo, but never made a point to try to reach the limits of its capability.

Any suggestions on a replacement? Not trying to break the bank and given the apparent unpredictability that is inherently in the nature of these objects, I find it difficult to shell out a lot of dough when I'll only get two seasons out of it. Granted, I have a small sample size.

parrothd
06-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Water and amps/rados don't mix, moisture kills them.

MLA
06-25-2018, 06:15 PM
First, we need to toss out those marketing numbers, and work with actual am model numbers. This is the only way to make a comparable suggestion based on RMS, not peak or marketing numbers.

MMPRES
06-28-2018, 05:13 PM
Where do I find the RMS on the amp that blew, and when researching new ones, is there a way to figure that out?

MLA
06-28-2018, 05:23 PM
With the manufacture and model number, you should be able to find their stated specs on their site or in an online manual.

MMPRES
06-28-2018, 11:21 PM
I'm a relative neophyte when it comes to stereo equipment. My understanding of RMS is the power that the amp is capable of producing to each output. Am I wrong?

stevemarich
06-28-2018, 11:52 PM
Amp model number or picture of it would help I have the pm600x4 it pushes 300rms to each rev10, it does pretty good, for your Rockford amp your 1000w, will be rms, but depending on how many channels, how it's configured , will determine what rms you were running, they at least list their amps at rms unlike the cheap stuff you can find at Walmart.

MLA
06-29-2018, 09:03 AM
I'm a relative neophyte when it comes to stereo equipment. My understanding of RMS is the power that the amp is capable of producing to each output. Am I wrong?

RMS is a continuous wattage ouput and is what we need to use to compare to other amps. Most all amps use an industry standard testing procedure to come up with a CES RMS output. This allows up to measure one amp up to another for comparison.

Next thing is how many chnls an amp has, and how its going to be wired. Even though a "1000 watt" amp might be an RMS, it does not necessarily equal 500W rms to each of the 2 speakers, hear is an example, right in the rockford stable.

The T1000-4ad and the P1000x2 are both advertised as 1000W rms amps. However, HOW we get that 1000W rms out of the amp, is vastly different. This is why knowing exactly what model you have now, is important, in order to make a suggestion thats a lateral move or better.

In your scenario, the T1000-4ab could deliver up to 500W rms to each of your speakers. The P1000x2, could only deliver 300W rms, even though each is advertised as a 1000W amp.