PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with tons of questions ...... so get ready!

rozlanik
06-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Finally received my 2018 Craz (Loaded Up) and clearly have lots to learn about it ....

Question: The manual says I need 2'7" of depth for safe operation, however when launching at my local ramp, the depth finder only reads 2 feet!!! I've watched similar type boats launch without issue, and I have successfully launched as well. Common sense tells me the sensor is mounted on the hull, therefore I get extremely nervous when putting the boat in gear. Are there depth finders calibrated low just to be on the safe side, and if so by how much?

Thanks!

Darter
06-23-2018, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the board and congrats on the new boat!

I can't speak for the modern depth sounders on Moombas, but I had an old Humminbird on our last boat that was essentially an estimate of depth, give or take a foot or so. They are also dependent on the bottom type and weeds. Softer lake bottom, rocks, logs, etc will throw off the reading by more than a few feet.

Also, were you reading on the trailer, or in the water? If you could float off the trailer, your depth in that vicinity is sufficient (albeit maybe barely, of course).

First thing to do in unfamiliar water is ask someone who knows the lake. If that's not an option, watch where the other big boats go and get a depth chart of the lake.

Depth sounders are a great tool for general awareness, but they're not going to be exact.

parrothd
06-23-2018, 08:55 PM
The depth gauge has an offset built in, it's telling you there's 2 feet clearance between the bottom and the prop. The actual water depth is going to be closer to 5 ft.. :)

jcarter20
06-23-2018, 11:58 PM
If you are that shallow and uncomfortable, dip an oar or ski in the water just to double check. It would make me nervous also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
06-24-2018, 02:16 PM
If you are that shallow and uncomfortable, dip an oar or ski in the water just to double check. It would make me nervous also.

A ski?? What’s that? Lol

5:00
06-25-2018, 11:45 AM

Don't call the new guy shallow. We want him to stick around.:cool::cool::cool:

Ry_Guy82
06-25-2018, 12:12 PM
Excellent question, as I am a new owner of a 2016 Craz and have wondered about the depth on the dash as well. It makes sense for the depth to be from the bottom of the boat down and not top of water line down... Does anyone know where to find info on how deep your boat sits? obviously this varies with weight, but stock from showroom how deep one's boat would sit? Thanks.

jcarter20
06-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Don't call the new guy shallow. We want him to stick around.:cool::cool::cool:

Ha ha.... didn’t mean it that way. I meant shallow depth of water.

larry_arizona
06-25-2018, 12:53 PM
Excellent question, as I am a new owner of a 2016 Craz and have wondered about the depth on the dash as well. It makes sense for the depth to be from the bottom of the boat down and not top of water line down... Does anyone know where to find info on how deep your boat sits? obviously this varies with weight, but stock from showroom how deep one's boat would sit? Thanks.

Draft of each model is listed on moomba and Supra websites.

Looks like Craz is 27.5” draft.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180625/cf19c7e2b772e0f6f1ca7bc2bbc0f9c1.jpg

5:00
06-25-2018, 01:40 PM
Ha ha.... didn’t mean it that way. I meant shallow depth of water.

Sorry I couldn't resist.