PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Pumps

AZHeet
10-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Has anyone out there had problems with their stock ballast pumps? I couldn't get one of my bags in the back to stay full. After opening the engine compartment, I noticed that the empty pump itself appeared to be leaking (very hard to see). I'm wondering if filling the ballast to full caused the pump to be the week link and crack.

Until I can get it replaced I'm thinking of just installing a valve inline between the bag and the empty pump that I can shut off to keep water from leaking out. It would be nice if there was some sort of pressure relief valve just in case you get sidetracked while filling the bags. Thoughts?

JesseC
10-15-2006, 09:38 PM
I installed the v Drive sacs in mine and I plumbed in a "vent" line into the third fitting. I am working on adding a fitting to the fron bag for the same reason. If I forget to turn off a fill pump, it simply runs out of the vent through a one way valve and into the evac line. So if I overfill, it just runs out the evac port. I will try to take pics soon if interested.

AZHeet
10-20-2006, 09:00 PM
That's what I'm looking for. I can have them replaced under warranty, but it will probably always be a problem. They're also easy to hit when you're getting in and out of the driver's seat. I'm also thinking of upgrading to the 2x400 lb bags in the back. I started surfing and I love it!

JesseC
10-21-2006, 11:57 PM
I know what you mean about hitting the switches by accident. We were just warming up early one day and I could not get the boat to ride level. When the rider fell and we came to a stop some one asked why the bilge was running and I looked down the right side of the boat and didn't see anything coming out, I then realized it was coming from the other side which only has ballast evac ports! Someone had kicked the switch and filled the left bag completly full and it was running through the vent/overflow valve! Definately saved me a headache.

I think it has been the best choice I have made so far. We tried wake surfing with just one of the bags full and no weight in the front and it threw a huge wake, we added some to the front bag to get rid of the curl. Do you need any pics of the setup? I have the third fitting running through a "T" and through a one way Whale valve. works real nice!! Only problem is every rare now and then the evac pump likes to cavitate which is solved easily by pushing down on the bag slightly. Also, I ground off all of the screws that were coming throug the rear seats so they would not puncture the bags. Seems like there were three of them.

AZHeet
10-22-2006, 10:46 PM
That'd be great whenever you get a chance. As long as I get something setup before next summer I'll be happy.

JesseC
11-06-2006, 01:19 AM
Sorry it took so long, here are the pics of the vent/overflow line on the ballast bags. The bags have three fill/empty ports. I use one to fill, one to drain and one for the vent/overflow. Whe these bags are full, there is not an ounce of air in them! When you empty them, they look like they have all of the air out of them. I am not sure how this happens, but these bags become really flat when they are empty. The wake is too much for me right now and I usually run them 3/4 full most of the time. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other help.

This is a pic of the starboard bag vent/overflow.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/ballast1.jpg

This is the one way whale valve. I used a T fitting to tap it into the empty line that goes to the through hull port. When emptying the ballast, the whale valve will keep the water traveling across the T fitting and keeping it from going back into the bag through the vent line. The whale valve only lets water go one way. I had to replace this line because I could not get the T fitting to go into the existing black ring hose. The old hose is way to tough to force a fitting into.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/ballast3.jpg