PDA

View Full Version : Starter Warranty Denied

rdlangston13
06-19-2018, 09:18 PM
So while on vacation I experienced a starter failure. The local dealer replaced it but Indmar denied the warranty because apparently there is never supposed to be water in the bilge of the boat. We have never launch the boat without the plug or swamped the boat. All water in the bilge has been from normal operation such as people climbing in and out of the boat wet, manual filling of ballast bags, and being caught in a rain storm. The bilge pump has always turned on as needed to empty itself. If the bilge pump is working properly then IMO the starter should not be getting wet enough to completely rust from the inside out. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikepo26
06-19-2018, 10:07 PM
Engine nut larry at indmar will be able to shed some light on the issue for you

LAwake
06-20-2018, 01:44 AM
So while on vacation I experienced a starter failure. The local dealer replaced it but Indmar denied the warranty because apparently there is never supposed to be water in the bilge of the boat. We have never launch the boat without the plug or swamped the boat. All water in the bilge has been from normal operation such as people climbing in and out of the boat wet, manual filling of ballast bags, and being caught in a rain storm. The bilge pump has always turned on as needed to empty itself. If the bilge pump is working properly then IMO the starter should not be getting wet enough to completely rust from the inside out. Thoughts?

This doesn’t make me feel good in the event I have a similar issue down the road. It’s a boat soooo it is going to get water in the engine compartment at some point, albeit limited with normal use, but water nonetheless.

Broke Pilot
06-20-2018, 09:26 AM
That seems like an odd thing to deny on a practically new boat...? Did they say the starter was rusted out? You get a look at it? I’d be raising a pretty good amount of hell.

RC_Hinojosa
06-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Didn't this happen to Brett on his Mondo too? The bilge failed, so the starter rusted out and they denied the claim. Maybe talk to Rinker's and see if they can do anything about it??

zabooda
06-20-2018, 10:51 AM
Barring any leaking lines, the bilge pump should be in a position to prevent water intrusion into the engine.

rdlangston13
06-20-2018, 11:00 AM
So this happened out of town so I did not deal with my normal dealer on this. I did however immediately call Jim at Rinkers and tell him what happened. As far as the starter, I took the original with me. If it’s not warrantied then it’s still mine, I also took a bunch of pictures that I also sent to Jim.

My bilge pump, to my knowledge has never not worked, on long days where we are doing a lot of swimming I have seen it come on occasionally for 5-10 second at a time, nothing that I would view as out of the ordinary.

The boat is stored in dry storage with the center plug out so there is never standing water left in the bilge either.

Jim at Rinkers said he is going to see what he can do about getting me reimbursed for a repair that I should not have had to pay for. On top of all that once I got my boat back it appears the water impeller housing is now also failing. Completely wasted vacation.

Not blaming SC, I am pretty ticked at indmar right now though.

kaneboats
06-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Hmmm. Tell them you want the warranty work done on the bilge pump.
What? Your bilge pump is working perfectly.
Yes, exactly.

MJHSupra
06-20-2018, 11:10 AM
By the looks of your boat, you would not store it with water in the bilge.

I'm betting your local dealer will help you with Indmar.

Just curious, what was the replacement cost? Part vs Labor?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
06-20-2018, 11:19 AM
$241.53 for the part
$375 for the labor
$46.88 shop supplies
$63.02. Tax

RC_Hinojosa
06-20-2018, 11:29 AM
On top of all that once I got my boat back it appears the water impeller housing is now also failing. Completely wasted vacation.

Damn, can't catch a break. Did you get stranded out on the water again?

Stazi
06-20-2018, 11:34 AM
Damn. You need to get that boat exorcised!

rdlangston13
06-20-2018, 11:47 AM
Damn, can't catch a break. Did you get stranded out on the water again?

No, we launched it immediately after getting it back from the dealer and my wife heard a ticking sound from the engine so right back on the trailer and back to the dealer it went.

zabooda
06-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Sounds like the dealer you used for the repair doesn't like working on warranty work on boats purchased elsewhere. SC needs to ensure the dealers are reimbursed adequately on warranty work otherwise dealers will reject based on the reimbursement rather than if it is actually a valid issue.

DFTR Josh
06-20-2018, 11:59 AM
Sometimes boats are the best and the worst. I'm sure your local shop will help shed some positive light for you. Could the failed impeller housing tick the other issue?

rdlangston13
06-20-2018, 12:00 PM
Sounds like the dealer you used for the repair doesn't like working on warranty work on boats purchased elsewhere. SC needs to ensure the dealers are reimbursed adequately on warranty work otherwise dealers will reject based on the reimbursement rather than if it is actually a valid issue.

I’m not going to fault the dealer. They provided me with a bulletin from Indmar stating that failed starters due to corrosion were not going to be covered under warranty and that it is the boat owners responsibility to maintain a dry bilge. This is completely on indmar and then not understanding boats and standing behind their product.

rdlangston13
06-20-2018, 12:01 PM
Sometimes boats are the best and the worst. I'm sure your local shop will help shed some positive light for you. Could the failed impeller housing tick the other issue?

It never ticked until we got it back from the shop for the starter issue.

The most frustrating part of all of this is we are on a vacation that’s I’ve been looking forward to and planning for months and we got to use the boat for only 1/2 of the first day. That’s it. What a waste.

zabooda
06-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Hmmmm. I don't want to belabor this issue but starters have never been problematic issue in the past and expectations to keep a bilge dry is inconsistent with the environment to which a boat is in. Shame on Indmar if this is for all their applications as their engines are used on many different platforms and conditions. If you were to put a humidistat in the bilge and read it continuously with a dry bilge you still read high numbers. Submersion is another issue. One has to question the adequacy of the stock starters. My .02.

DFTR Josh
06-20-2018, 04:31 PM
It never ticked until we got it back from the shop for the starter issue.

The most frustrating part of all of this is we are on a vacation that’s I’ve been looking forward to and planning for months and we got to use the boat for only 1/2 of the first day. That’s it. What a waste.
Being on vacation amps the issue up by 10! Most have been in your shoes and it SUCKS.

rdlangston13
06-20-2018, 06:21 PM
Well I just got the boat backed and we put it in the water mainly to keep the rain off of it by covered slip and it never made the ticking noise. Figure we will run it tomorrow and see how it goes, just stay close to the condo.

DFTR Josh
06-20-2018, 06:45 PM
Well I just got the boat backed and we put it in the water mainly to keep the rain off of it by covered slip and it never made the ticking noise. Figure we will run it tomorrow and see how it goes, just stay close to the condo.
NOW WEATHER! Damit Jim! Keep it out of the rain, you want to avoid getting the bilge wet :twisted:

rdlangston13
06-20-2018, 06:48 PM
NOW WEATHER! Damit Jim! Keep it out of the rain, you want to avoid getting the bilge wet :twisted:

Right! Lol. It’s in the slip but the slip is short so nose sticks out. Have the cover on though to divert the rain.

RC_Hinojosa
06-21-2018, 08:59 AM
Right! Lol. It’s in the slip but the slip is short so nose sticks out. Have the cover on though to divert the rain.

Ain't missing much here bro, been pouring all week.

98outback
06-21-2018, 09:35 AM
Can you post pictures of starter? I thought marine starters were sealed to keep sparks encased inside.